Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 new front bumper assy needed

Can anyone point me to where I might source a complete front bumper assembly? My car has had the front crunched in by a clumsy carpark attendant.

Amazingly, this dolt even managed to put a notch in the bonnet's leading edge, but hopefully this can be repaired and a new bonnet will not be required. I think the perpetrators will be shocked to find out how much the repair is gonna cost them!

If you mean just the bumper cover see link below but bear in mind there are 4 different part numbers for the sport models and sonar system.

This is also supplied un-painted so you need to factor that in as well, same for the mountings if any are damaged.

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-is-phase-2-sel-front-bumper/

IMG_1495.png

Funnily enough I have my 2010 F Sport bumper available as I've just done a 3IS conversion if you were wanting to purchase that. In good condition just the usual age related marks and what not. 

IMG_5012.thumb.jpeg.61d32960624f9a0f0cd9ab4853a71945.jpeg

That is good news. Thank you gents! I am minded to place the work with a reputable coachbuilders (ha!) in Bridgwater rather than accept whatever the local Lexus agent comes up with. I leave you with a snap of the damage. However did the carpark driver manage that?

IMG_20240311_131054.jpg

You likely going to need bonnet as well... which... I also have if you interested 🙂 

On the serious note - not sure if aluminium can be can be bent back without braking, seem like quite sharp bend.

On 3/9/2024 at 6:57 PM, McShmoopy said:

Funnily enough I have my 2010 F Sport bumper available as I've just done a 3IS conversion if you were wanting to purchase that. In good condition just the usual age related marks and what not. 

IMG_5012.thumb.jpeg.61d32960624f9a0f0cd9ab4853a71945.jpeg

is it black or blue?

7 hours ago, Linas.P said:

You likely going to need bonnet as well... which... I also have if you interested 🙂 

On the serious note - not sure if aluminium can be can be bent back without braking, seem like quite sharp bend.

is it black or blue?

It is black obsidian mate 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 11:26 AM, Linas.P said:

Yes, that is what the both quotes I have say, plus innumerable small and costly bits and pieces, mounting up to £6.5K (Lexus) and £5.1K (decent local independent). As the situation is entirely the fault of the carpark owner, I am minded to let this play out with no intervention on my part. We shall see. But I thank you all for your advice and may yet have to call on you for spare parts!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 6:57 PM, McShmoopy said:

2010 F Sport bumper available

Does this differ in any significant way — most importantly in the attachment points and the foglight mountings? It's certainly a possibility, though my insurer might consider this a modification, and prefer the car to be standard.

33 minutes ago, MartinH said:

Does this differ in any significant way — most importantly in the attachment points and the foglight mountings? It's certainly a possibility, though my insurer might consider this a modification, and prefer the car to be standard.

It would fit, but it does have headlight washers in it. To be fair same applies to bumper I have. In theory they can be patched by bodyshop (plastic welded, then filled/sanded).

The quotes you got are quite high, when I had small dent on fender I also got quote of ~£3000 form Lexus, so I am not really surprised, but it is still a lot. 

My very rough estimation would be - new bumper, grille and bonnet, new bumper is ~£160, bonnet is ~£600, grille ~£200. Then it all has to be painted say £200-300 per part + blending to fenders, so 4 parts to paint. So £960 + £800. £2000 tops. And you can get used parts cheaper - I certainly would let mine go for £200 + pick-up (there is no way I can send bonnet), so you can potentially get it done for £1000.

6 hours ago, MartinH said:

FB_IMG_1710172987164.thumb.jpg.0db878166fc32dd959a601fe6cc25fe2.jpg oldnew(1).thumb.jpeg.d11c1515ec603033097ba29f26f1e099.jpeg

Very subtle changes, mainly to the upper and lower grille having a slightly more aggressive "V" shape. Shouldn't matter if you replace the complete bumper/grille package that McSchmoopy is offering.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MartinH said:

Itll generally remain the same except if you have a facelift 2011 onwards car where they change to the modern circular foglight, only thing ive pinched is a rubber right angle for the headlight washer so I could block mine off / delete it but I'm sure the part could be found relatively easy on eBay, aside from that fully stock and it shouldn't be classed as a mod unless the colour is different haha 

15 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Very subtle changes

Aren't they? My car is '07 so original foglights.

If I were paying for the repair, I'd be all over the parts you're offering, Linas. But I have no motive to spend more of my time to save the perpetrator from the costly consequences of their own failure. We'll see how it plays out!

I understand your point of view - they damaged it so they have to fix it... However, I also believe that at least secondary goal is to get the car fixed as soon as reasonably possible and at the price which is fair for both party at fault and at the same time does not leave you in worse position than you were before the accident. 

Paying £6.5k to fix bumper and bonnet on the car which it self costs maybe £5k isn't really fair amount. Even if the car wash is willing to pay that price, there is still no gain on your side if they overpay for your car repairs, however it is more likely to complicate the repairs as they may feel it isn't fair price (because it isn't) and then simply stop cooperating. And if they do stop cooperating then it will be very hard to change that (only via court).

So at least in my mind it seems that seeking compromise would be best for both parties. In such case I probably would take the estimates for repair and say something along the lines - "look that is what it officially costs to fix the car, but we both understand this is unrealistic, instead let's agree you pay me amount X and I get the car fixed at reasonable price = win-win". What that "reasonable" amount would be is for you to decide, but let's just hypothetically say that repair cost is £2000, so I probably would ask for £2500 for my trouble. Then would fix the car for £1500 and keep the £1000 for future maintenance or some nice modification or upgrade, or just keep the money.

The reason I am saying this is not that I want to sell the parts, as mentioned neither bumpers available really suits your needs as your car does not have headlight washers. The holes for washers could be welded/filled etc. (not doing it would cause issues in MOT, even if your car technically does not need to have washers, you could fail because they seems to be present but do not work). So the reason I am saying this is because I know how difficult is to force somebody to pay for repairs if they decide to be uncooperative.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Linas.P said:

The holes for washers could be welded/filled etc. (not doing it would cause issues in MOT, even if your car technically does not need to have washers, you could fail because they seems to be present but do not work). So the reason I am saying this is because I know how difficult is to force somebody to pay for repairs if they decide to be uncooperative.

I can confirm that you won't fail MOT on the headlight washers. Not on this car anyway. It's old. My green one had them and when I did a 3IS conversion I had to plug the plumbing to the headlight washers as the 3IS bumper didn't have washers.

@MartinH

I will have a black 08 SE bumper for sale in May. No headlight washers, good condition, but I presume you'll have it all fixed by then. 

I do agree with Linus that the official cost to repair is excessive. If I were to submit that claim to my own insurer, they would surely write the car off (and in my verbal report to them, they already hinted as much). And this is one reason I drive in a minimum-risk fashion these days (also because, as a bike-rider, keen attention to risk is a survival habit).

All I want is the car put back the way it was, and if that can be achieved at half the Lexus dealer's estimate, I'm happy with that. My understanding is that a primary principle of insurance is maximum good faith; it is easy to lose sight of this. But it is beyond annoying to be asked to do the legwork to mitigate the final cost when one is the injured party. And I don't have any experience of, or appetite for haggling with the motor trade.

9 hours ago, H3XME said:

I can confirm that you won't fail MOT on the headlight washers. Not on this car anyway. It's old. My green one had them and when I did a 3IS conversion I had to plug the plumbing to the headlight washers as the 3IS bumper didn't have washers.

@MartinH

I will have a black 08 SE bumper for sale in May. No headlight washers, good condition, but I presume you'll have it all fixed by then. 

NO - that is opposite, you basically did washer delete, that is FINE. Because MOT does not know if your car suppose to have them or not. So if there are no washers they thing car came without them.

However, if they are installed they have to work, because MOT will assume that is they are present then car should have them.

So, they either need to be blanked out or even better is to just get the bumper without washers as you have.  

7 hours ago, MartinH said:

I do agree with Linus that the official cost to repair is excessive. If I were to submit that claim to my own insurer, they would surely write the car off (and in my verbal report to them, they already hinted as much). And this is one reason I drive in a minimum-risk fashion these days (also because, as a bike-rider, keen attention to risk is a survival habit).

All I want is the car put back the way it was, and if that can be achieved at half the Lexus dealer's estimate, I'm happy with that. My understanding is that a primary principle of insurance is maximum good faith; it is easy to lose sight of this. But it is beyond annoying to be asked to do the legwork to mitigate the final cost when one is the injured party. And I don't have any experience of, or appetite for haggling with the motor trade.

Involving your insurance was bad idea, now your insurance will go up by 30%, because you will have record of accident on your record (regardless whose fault it was). So you probably should consider that into your settlement.

As for dealing with "trade" and claims, it is tricky. You have strong case there so they will pay, but if they stop cooperating (if they feel you asking too much, or quotes they themselves are getting are too much), then they may simply drag their heels for years and the only way to force them is court, which is years long headache. I assume you would ultimately win, but it is painful and also you can't claim legal fees (in small claims up-to 10,000), so effectively you have to handle it yourself and it is not at all straight forward. So it would be ideal to avoid it if possible. 

No surprise, the carpark owner has urged me to use a bodywork contractor of his nomination whose quote comes in a whole lot lower, utilizing second-hand parts. I don't mind using clean second-hand parts from a car that's been parted out (hence my enquiry here). What is worrying, though, is that their quote assumes that the bonnet can be repaired. As has been pointed out, it's alloy which is hard or impossible to manipulate. It must be possible to source one from a breaker? And indeed Linus has one, though he says that cost of carriage makes that a non-starter. 

It's all such a hassle. Why oh why did I not use the official airport carpark?

Yes - as far as I know aluminium bonnet cannot be straightened past certain point, on top of that it is damaged in such place where it isn't even accessible from inside, also they must not use any filler, as that is where the lock is, so basically bonnet flexes there and any filler would crack. I cannot say it is 100% not fixable, but I am 80% sure any decent place would say it needs replacing. So I would just come back and insist that bonnet is replaced. Because the last thing you want is for them to lob inch of filler on the bonnet and next time you try to close it it cracks. Also it makes no sense to save on such part. Replacement bonnet is let's say maximum £200. The expensive part is painting and blending the repair, the bonnet will require painting and fender will require blending, so there is at least £600 worth of painting involved. So this would be just counter intuitive to save £200 and then compromise £600 worth of job in the future. 

As for delivery, I tried few couriers and price comes to ~£50. So £100 for the part and £50 for delivery, in theory it doesn't matter as it isn't you who is paying for the part. It also matches what people are asking for them on eBay ~£100 and majority are collection only, but I have seen few delivering for £50. 

Option two - ask for cash settlement i.e. whatever they looing to pay to their repair shop just take in in cash. Obviously as long as that isn't £500. Because that then allows you to have some control on the process and quality of repairs. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links