Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CarPlay won't send iPhone Messages or WhatsApp's. IOS 17.4

Hi,

First post from new NX450h+ owner, MY24

CarPlay works fine, but when i go to reply to a message or WhatsApp it doesn't repeat what I have asked it to send, and then says "sorry I can't show you the result while you're in the car". Pretty useless for a handsfree experience!

I can't find others quoting the same issue after some trawling. I've followed all the usual CarPlay debugging steps (Bluetooth off/on, phone off/on, CarPlay off/on, deleted any driving or DND focus settings on the phone, removed all content/privacy restrictions and even erased all my Iphone settings and started again, then deregistered phone and then registered it to the car again) but all to no avail!

Any ideas how to fix this or are others in the same boat as me?

Cheers

Siri ( operating system carvplay)does not work with messenger or whats app.. It will allow you to speak and then send a normal text message to a known recipient in your phone book but not with third party apps like messenger or whats app.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eggie said:

Siri does not work with messenger or whats app.. It will allow you to speak and then send a normal text message to a known recipient in your phone book but not with third party apps like messenger or whats app.

Thanks, it doesn't work (for me) with Message. (Messenger isn't a CarPlay option) It reads WhatsApp and Message perfectly however. Pretty odd?

Hi, I’m convinced you should be able to send/reply to text and WhatsApp messages as I’m able to on the same operating system. As a suggestion perhaps check that Siri is enabled for ‘Allow Siri when locked’ switched on. Good luck…

6 hours ago, Nobbie67 said:

Any ideas how to fix this or are others in the same boat as me?

Cheers

Same boat as you, I’m afraid. Any Siri voice action in the car via CarPlay often results in complete gibberish. 

I have the same problem and have been searching for a solution for some time now. I can find no obvious settings to reset or change that might resolve the problem. I have not taken any drastic steps yet but watched a YouTube video yesterday that showed messaging in the car working fine, which mine does not.

Any good suggestions welcome. 

10 hours ago, klayne said:

Found this thread on MacRumours https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-17-0-2-apple-car-play-cannot-send-or-reply-to-text-messages.2405858/

As you move through the pages you will see a number of Lexus NX owners with the same messaging problem. 

Thanks for this. I read all the posts on that forum and the linked apple discussion threads within it. Looks like a definite IOS bug, so I guess I and many others will be waiting for release that will fix this. Most frustrating.

I have this issue and it only started following an update to iOS 17. It seems to mainly be Lexus cars and not all are affected so apple isn’t going to rush to fix it. I am assuming Lexus/toyota have coded something different in their implementation of CarPlay which has been broken in the update

i think we’re going to have both parties pointing at each other until some future random update resolves it. The dealers will not be able to do anything other than report to the manufacturer 

I went to the dealer today. Checked it over and said they'd had several people in with the same and similar issues, but only Lexus models, not Toyota.  They believe the last "over the air " update from Lexus has somehow corrupted the Multimedia system - but not affecting every vehicle and not always the same fault - some had Navigation issues as an example. It's been escalated to Lexus to release a fix and they have promised to ring me once a fix is ready and either have me back in to install it, or advise if it can be done over the air.

Will update as and when I get it resolved.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I might have figured this out. I was just stuck in slow moving traffic and noticed the screen off button, which is the volume knob. I thought if I depressed it for long enough it would turn the screen off which I had wanted to try, which it did.

The infotainment screen then came back on which meant I must have reset the screen. It took a short while to reconnect CarPlay. I then tried to use Siri to send a message, and lo and behold it seemed to work. I asked Siri to read unopened text messages, and it did, and prompted me if I wanted to reply. I also asked it to read emails, which it did. I parked up, turned the car off and back on again and tried sending text messages, and it still worked.

This is only a single point of data, so if you are still hunting for a fix, try this out and let everyone know how you got on.

Prior to this, I had a couple of sessions with apple support and nothing they suggested solved the problem that I was experiencing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2024 at 1:45 PM, klayne said:

I might have figured this out. I was just stuck in slow moving traffic and noticed the screen off button, which is the volume knob. I thought if I depressed it for long enough it would turn the screen off which I had wanted to try, which it did.

The infotainment screen then came back on which meant I must have reset the screen. It took a short while to reconnect CarPlay. I then tried to use Siri to send a message, and lo and behold it seemed to work. I asked Siri to read unopened text messages, and it did, and prompted me if I wanted to reply. I also asked it to read emails, which it did. I parked up, turned the car off and back on again and tried sending text messages, and it still worked.

This is only a single point of data, so if you are still hunting for a fix, try this out and let everyone know how you got on.

Prior to this, I had a couple of sessions with apple support and nothing they suggested solved the problem that I was experiencing.

This has been bugging me since I got my NX in January. It seems to have worked for Nobbie67 so i will give this a try as my problems are exactly the same. Thank you.

Just tried it. No joy. Have disconnected and reconnected Bluetooth. Still nothing. Have noticed that even though CarPlay is connected to the car via Bluetooth and seemingly working fine (apart from messaging), my Bluetooth settings on my phone say that the Lexus is "Not Connected".

Also on one of my attempts to set up again, the screen on the car went through two tick checks. Cant remember what they were but the first was fine and the second said something like "connecting for messaging" and that one buffered and then failed. Not sure at what point these appeared but I cant seem to get to that part of the process again!

Frustrated

Mine does a daft thing of "unlock you phone" etc, even though its set to be active on lock screen.
Then it (siri) asks which app to use to send messages. The annying thing is I don't have messenger or Whatsapp, just iMessage, yet it asks every flipping time!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links