Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 cambelt replacement on LPG car

My LS400 Mk3, which has a LPG conversion, is due a cambelt replacement soon.

Does anyone with a LS400 LPG car have any experience of having the cambelt replaced? I am not intending to do this myself but would be interested to know if this has proved problematic for installers.

Any information gratefully received and if anyone could recommend an installer in the West Midlands or Staffordshire areas (I am in the West Midlands but very close to the Staffordshire border) that would be most helpful.

Thanks a lot.

Colin 

My ls400 has lpg, I've had it converted myself back in 2018, and had the cambelt and waterpump replaced in 2020, bought the parts myself from lexus and had my local trustworthy garage do the work without any issues

I'm in the Midlands and had the work done at a garage called the mechanic in ward end, but lex tek in Sheffield can do the work too.

Thanks, that’s reassuring and good to know. Ward End is not too far from where I am (about 12 miles), so that would be quite convenient. Thanks for the recommendation.

Out of interest ……. what’s the mileage / time years, since the last cambelt etc change on your cars ? 

I was reading long  back that the “ break / bust “ time for a Ls400 cambelt might be 150k miles …….. 10 years / 100k miles in my book but others might have different thoughts and experiences 

Thanks 

Malc 

The cambelt on the non-LPG car was changed in 2018 at 226,000 and the current mileage is 240,000.

The cambelt on the LPG car was changed prior to my ownership but I do not know the exact date or mileage. I am looking to change it now based on age as it has been on for 10+ years, although the mileage will be well under 100,000.

10 years or 100,000 miles seems about right to me.

• Like 1

I’m well up to date on my 95 Mk3 car but the recently bought 91 J reg,  now approaching 100k miles,  I can’t see from the inherited docs that it’s ever had the change 🤔

At this era Ls400 it’s the non-interference engine and I’m taking some little comfort from that and won’t expect anything to go “ bang “ with catastrophic outcomes 

Lets see how my budgeting pans out to address this 

Malc 

Maybe it hasn’t been changed! If that is the case, the belt has lasted very well. Not really any cause for concern when it is a non-interference engine if the belt does snap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colin M said:

Maybe it hasn’t been changed! If that is the case, the belt has lasted very well. Not really any cause for concern when it is a non-interference engine if the belt does snap.

Unless, of course it fails on a dark and rainy night in the middle of nowhere. I've been an LS owner (400 and 460) for 27 years now and the best piece of advice I can give is to get your machine serviced regularly and on time. They are magnificent machines but you have to play your part.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colin M said:

Not really any cause for concern when it is a non-interference engine if the belt does snap.

I think if the belt snapped whilst in busy motorway traffic it would cause a lot of concern for safety. 

As Brian above mentions, better to be safe than sorry. 

I think the “ cause for concern “ element refers to mechanical damage …… yes, any preventative maintenance decreasing risk of breakdown especially in busy traffic is good …… punctures happen too, serpentine belt goes, alternators too  …… shame the cambelt condition can’t be checked in situ ……. BUT can it ?  
Does anyone know how to check this ? 
Thanks 

Malc 

So then. SUMMARY Q ….. is there a simple method to visibly check the cambelt condition ? 
Thank you

Malc  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links