Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service showing wheel tracking alignment out each year

Lynne S

We have just had our NX300h 2021 3rd year service and MOT and for the 3rd time were told that the wheel alignment/tracking was out and recommended to be done. We had it done last year but refused this year. The car passed everything else and is still a lovely drive. Is this a common fault or a service sales add on ploy?  Also had the usual advice to top up the air con which is working fine. Can I add we are low mileage users (13.5k total currently) and are not fast/harsh drivers.  Do not expect tracking to go from year one in a high spec car.

Wheel alignment / tracking is often influenced by the state of the roads you’re driving on and that impact on your tyres, steering set-up whatever ……. and at the tiny mileage covered you might not even see undue tyre wear either …. Yet …. 

Might be the service guys are recommending as they’re just touting for business whatever 

It used to be that if there was nowt wrong then the checking wasn’t charged for …… you’d get a printout showing green and red indicators and green at the final printout when all adjusted …….. 

Often the rear adjustments are just a little unnecessary ( over the top ) as that won’t affect your steering …….. 

On this basis you might want to have it checked out at an independent tyre place that does tracking etc AND not charge if there’s nowt to be adjusted ! 
You’ll see by the printouts I’ve mentioned 

The air con re-charge …… seems OTT to my mind too 🤔

Good luck ! 

Malc 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lynne S said:

We have just had our NX300h 2021 3rd year service and MOT and for the 3rd time were told that the wheel alignment/tracking was out and recommended to be done. We had it done last year but refused this year. The car passed everything else and is still a lovely drive. Is this a common fault or a service sales add on ploy?  Also had the usual advice to top up the air con which is working fine. Can I add we are low mileage users (13.5k total currently) and are not fast/harsh drivers.  Do not expect tracking to go from year one in a high spec car.

The air con top up is recommended every 2 years but doesnt require doing if its OK really

The alignment probably needs to be done. It will wear your tyres out and likely due to road conditions / potholes

• Thanks 1

Service managers are required to upsell in order to try and meet targets. 

Two of the most common items you have mentioned - tracking and air con re-gassing. Easy money for the dealership and the customer will never know if these items were completed or not.

The other common advisory / campaign for additional work - brake discs and pads. The usual speech, " Your brake pads are 50% worn".  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Question of our Trust in the Professional advising us eh !  ……… Do we, don’t we …….. sad these days when you want to Trust but think you’re really being “ ripped off “ with unnecessary costs 

Malc 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HPS13 said:

peech, " Your brake pads are 50% worn".  

2 hours ago, HPS13 said:

Another way to say it the glass is half empty.,.....so it is therefore half full...and the pads have half their wear left.

• Thanks 1

On the other hand Lynne do you hit  kerbs as this is enough to throw your alignment out, and will then only show up months later in the form of uneven tyre wear?

Thank you for all your comments.  The trust element is a conflict as I like the dealer doing the service especially with the hybrid check, and you want to trust their advice, but..... No we don't hit curbs and don't recall dropping into a deep pot hole (which also usually affects the front tracking more than the rear). Again, for this to be an issue three years in a row is not a good thing for the Lexus brand.

• Like 1

Make sure you get a print out of the tracking / alignment results, you can then have a discussion with objective data.

Same with brakes, what is the pad / disc thickness and what are the specifications for wear.

If the dealer can't answer these simple questions them most likely they are trying it on.

• Thanks 1

We do have a print out which shows the rear report in red however the tyres and break pads were all in good condition and it passed the MOT.  The rear wheel alignment and air con top up were advisory.

My understanding is that most often the “ red “ for the Rear Wheels alignment isn’t going to affect your driving nor handling of the car …… nor detrimental to the car, tyres etc …….. is there detrimental, discernible  rear tyre wear ??  …… if yes then action is needed ……. if not then, well, you know my layman thoughts 

Perfection will necessitate a remedy …… Practicality …… it might be ok to leave ……. AS with the aircon recharge ! 

Your depth of pockets will dictate I’m sure 

Best wishes 

Malc 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links