Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paint protection - Armourfend/X-Pel/Invincashield

Hi, I just got a quote back from Armourfend for the complete kit for my IS200 (bonnet, bodykit, lights, mirrors, skirts, wheel arches) and it works out to almost £600 including installation.

I have one concern: it doesn't cover the whole bonnet, I've been told it only goes up about 7". I've already got a paint chip above that mark and was wondering if there was a better way to spend the money to prevent stone chips?

I've seen websites for invincashield and x-pel (which also only appears to cover part of the bonnet) but I really can't decide... help??

-Emrul

£600!!! how much!!:o i had a look at thier web site, few things i would like to point out to people - they say it is 98% invisible, that is not strictly true, the material itself is pretty well invisible BUT the edge is really obvious after a while ( build up of polish/wax and dirt sticking to the edge).

General observations now - The plastic film extends up the bonnet about 35cm so you will still get chips further up, but u stop the majority.

I dont really think you need it on the headlights as they are plastic, would have to be a real big stone to chip/damage those, if it was glass then fair enough! As for the wheel arches - i cant comment on the rear ones but for the front the plastic protectection is a small triangle about 10 cm in length that covers just the very upper tip of the wing.

to make things clear i got the X-pel kit for the IS300 - includes bonnet, wing mirrors and front wheel arches for $99 I had to cut it slightly but i know which kit i would rather spend cash on!

;)

Hmm... I assume the x-pel kit would also leave that mark after a while. I think I'm gonna put a fiver into a pot each week and have any problems sorted out by a company like chipsaway every few months. They don't charge much I don't think.

I have to admit that the stone chips are rather concerning. When I had my kit fitted a few weeks ago, I pointed out some bubbling on my bonnet near the mesh. This was quickly dismissed by my dealer (Leicester) as "stone chips that have gone too deep into the paint work and YOU haven't touched them up therefore they have started to rust..."

I wasn't best pleased. So after a number of discussions, I found out they have Chips Away on site Monday through Wednesday and for £15 they will sort all the chips and rust out on your bonnet in two hours. I obviously negotiated that I ought to get this free... Its booked in in two weeks!

here is a pic of 3m scotchcal ( same product that xpel, stoneguard etc etc etc use )

you can see what i mean about the edge being obvious, but it depends at what angle and also the colour of the car - it doesnt show up much on lighter colours.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/nattyslide/v...rc=bc%26.view=t

That's very cool - thanks for posting pic. I think I can live with that little line on my car if it'll protect against stone chips :)

-Emrul

• 3 months later...

hi all - i have had a few U2U's about the xpel kit i have fitted........ so if u read the above i think that covers most things, i have had the xpel on for about 2 years now and am perfectly happy with it. i have added a pic as well so people can get a better idea of how far up the bonnet it goes. you will notice the edge a bit more than normal as i washed the car quickly yesterday and didnt clean the edge of the xpel very well so there is a slight build up of polish there.

On the subject of lines on the car.... I recall that when the car was new, well, even up to about 3 months ownership and constant washing, I noticed that there was this line along certain bits like the roof and the rear of the car, which seemed like it has been left there because of a plastic covering/coating before.... probably a plastic protective covering layer during transport or the assembly line? Dirt was building up along it. Anyone had this? Know what it is?

they do put a very thin white static type plastic on the hood and roof when in transit etc , a good scrub should have got rid of it - but we have had a car that had a static sticker on the hood that had actually left its mark in the laquer! - needed a respray.

Originally posted by Ezzer

On the subject of lines on the car.... I recall that when the car was new, well, even up to about 3 months ownership and constant washing, I noticed that there was this line along certain bits like the roof and the rear of the car, which seemed like it has been left there because of a plastic covering/coating before.... probably a plastic protective covering layer during transport or the assembly line? Dirt was building up along it. Anyone had this? Know what it is?

I had that too, on the bootlid - I think it's a little trace of adhesive from the protective sheet that they stick on for transport, and that's why you get dirt sticking to it.

here are some clearer pics with the xpel kit on - invincashield/armourall use the same material so no difference there.

the scotchcal looks quite bad in the pic but that is the camera/light. - its not that obvious in real life - also when i bother to clean the edge that makes it less noticable.

I would rather have a line than a load of stone chips

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links