Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS200 faults and dealer 'errors'

Well - my very first ever brand new car - and I have more things I am dissatisfied with than either of the last two second hand cars I bought!!!

When my car went in for it's first service I reported the faults for rectification under warrenty....

1. Radio would not hold a station & RDS not working.

2. Rattle behind dash

3. Remote boot release failed

4. One of the rear seat belt clasps not working

5. Shift 'clonking' into 3rd gear - intermittant fault

First - the car was booked in on the Friday and I arranged for collection/delivery from my office - so I drove to work, left my keys with security, and was in the office all day in ignorant bliss of what was happening. I rang at lunch time to remind them to get me the IS200 service book (my pack has the GS300 one instead! :rolleyes:) and was assured all was well. Come 5pm I ring teh dealer to find out if my car has come back yet - the woman on reception says they are busy and she will ring back.

I wait 10 mins, no call - so I call security - the gate man then informs me that my car is still parked where I left it and has not moved all day.

5.30pm the Lexus dealer rings, admits he had it down as collection, but forgot - and when I didn't 'turn up' he had assumed I was too busy!

So the service is rescheduled for the following Tuesday (meaning I am now at circa 10,800 miles)

I am told that the faults have all been sorted except the stereo as they need to order me a new one.

New one arrives and I am told it is a 30 min job, so if I can pop down in my lunch they will fit it.

I arrive at 1 as arranged, 1.15 and still no-one has taken my keys. I remind them that I am in my lunch break and that I was promised it would take no more than 30mins...... I have a meeting at 2pm.

They assure me no problem and take my keys.

2pm my keys are back (I need time travel to get back to work in time for the meeting! :mad:) and I have no time to check anything.

Next day I discover there is a small chip in the trim near the stereo (which incidentally looks slightly different from my original unit - my car is a 2002 car....:?:) and the rattle is MUCH worse. Where before it was there occasionally - it is now there all the time.

Additionally the CD Player does not work - press load, watch it flashing Wait with the red light - it goes out, but the green light never comes on nor does it invite me to load.

So - I now have a worse rattle than ever. A radio that works, but CD Player doesn't. A chip in the trim and it also no longer fits properly with one side being worse than the other.

Not happy!!!!! Also very disappointed - I did expect better. :(

Well - I want to give them a chance to rectify first.... problem being that I am flying to Aberdeen for next week's task - so I won't be able to get back to the dealer till the week after - but if they don't rectify - rest assured, I will spill all the beans - all over the place!!!

TBH - no idea how they can repair my dash without a whole new replacement - it isn't a piece of trim, tis the soft feel part that is integral!

Originally posted by Grangey

>> 5. Shift 'clonking' into 3rd gear - intermittant fault <<

What about that, Sam? Mines does the same, apart from when the 'technician' has it apparently!

that is another well known gearbox prob- as ur shifting into 3rd it feels as if a latch comes across blocking the lever going fully into the gate - sounds really wierd but those of you that have experienced it will know what i mean. its as if the syncro-mesh is working toooooo well:?:

as for ur dash sam - that can easily be fixed, they fill the area, rub it down then respray it - good as new.

Originally posted by fluff34567
Originally posted by Grangey

>> 5. Shift 'clonking' into 3rd gear - intermittant fault <<

What about that, Sam? Mines does the same, apart from when the 'technician' has it apparently!

that is another well known gearbox prob- as ur shifting into 3rd it feels as if a latch comes across blocking the lever going fully into the gate - sounds really wierd but those of you that have experienced it will know what i mean. its as if the syncro-mesh is working toooooo well:?:

So is it something that gets repaired or do I have to live with it, do you suppose? If it is a repair under warranty, what do I say the problem is, so that they know what I'm talking about?!?

to be perfecly honest i think you'll be wee weeing in the wind with this one:wow: expect a gearbox oil change, i had a replacement box due to the 2nd gear issue and the newer one still does the 3rd gear thing.

I can't see that changing the gearbox oil would actually help - it is only the one gear...... when it happens, you wonder for a second if you have fully depressed the clutch, or changed too quickly before fully depressing the clutch......

If the 'repair' requires the services of a chipsaway type chap - recon they could also repair my car-park ding that I got when the car was less than a week old and Ford Grandad got jealous???

Oh and while I'm having a gripe - the front end of my 'new' car is peppered with stone chips - I have NEVER had a car deteriorate so quickly - what do they paint them with? Watercolours???

My car has done just over 11k miles, I have protected it with a good quality wax, and I don't 'tear about' on roads with loose chippings. I don't have a gravel drive. Don't have bad roads where I live. Most of my drive to work is done at speeds under 60mph. Yet I am losing paint faster than rubber off the tyres!!!! :mad:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links