Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Official New 2006 Is Topic

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are the seats actually "cooled", or is it just "aired" by small fans like the Merc system? Does anyone know whether there are actual Air Con vents positioned in the seat squab/rest to actually cool the seats?

If it has, there is potential for moisture...and mould :sick:

I went for the base IS220d for 3 reasons:

1) Ventilated Leather and alloys for £3000 - seems steep to me

2 Electric seats without memroy function is a bit silly - well it's quicker by hand, and mainly one driver so not necessary

3) Did not fancy killing another cow for it's hide (being a vegetarian and all that)

However, I have been re-thinking the strategy, as I would love to have lumbar adjustment...and the leather is better bolstored, especially around the shoulders and back.

Also, anyone else have a base IS250? How are the cloth seats fairing?

Are the seats actually "cooled", or is it just "aired" by small fans like the Merc system? Does anyone know whether there are actual Air Con vents positioned in the seat squab/rest to actually cool the seats?

If it has, there is potential for moisture...and mould  :sick:

2 Electric seats without memroy function is a bit silly - well it's quicker by hand, and mainly one driver so not necessary

3) Did not fancy killing another cow for it's hide (being a vegetarian and all that)

However, I have been re-thinking the strategy, as I would love to have lumbar adjustment...and the leather is better bolstored, especially around the shoulders and back.

I have tried the cooled seats in the GS and have been told that the system uses fans to keep you cool and in the GS they really do work.

The £3K difference is not just for leather and alloys but leather, bigger alloys, heated and ventilated seats plus electric adjustment. I've done some reckoning and the Lexus charge is on par with other manufacturers. Of course with Lexus it is all or nothing as with BMW et al, you could choose to have the leather but not the alloys.

I agree with the comment about the memory seats, they should have them on the SE.

I don't want to start a massive argument about vegetarianism etc but cattle are bred for their meat, the leather is just a by product. I live on a beef farm and my partner is a beef farmer so I know this for a fact.

I agree the seats are heated, but not instantly - when you climb in the car when it is circa -1C leather is considerably colder to the touch than cloth.

I admit I am in the minority here but I had a car with leather a few years ago and the change to lexus escaine was a nice change and not so cold in the Winter.

Again in the Summer, climbing into a leather seat which has been in the sun for a few hours and you have no shirt on - ooooooooh

If it has, there is potential for moisture...and mould  :sick:

I have tried the cooled seats in the GS and have been told that the system uses fans to keep you cool and in the GS they really do work.

The £3K difference is not just for leather and alloys but leather, bigger alloys, heated and ventilated seats plus electric adjustment. I've done some reckoning and the Lexus charge is on par with other manufacturers. Of course with Lexus it is all or nothing as with BMW et al, you could choose to have the leather but not the alloys.

I agree with the comment about the memory seats, they should have them on the SE.

I don't want to start a massive argument about vegetarianism etc but cattle are bred for their meat, the leather is just a by product. I live on a beef farm and my partner is a beef farmer so I know this for a fact.

I know it's a by-product...I have no problem with "non veggies", honest :blush:

As you say - it's all or nothing (and I appreciate you get 17" 225/245's), which is a shame...I spent the £3+k on MM and metalic, which I thought was better for me...but these stories of rattles from the dahsboard...sounds Vauxhallish...worries me...I suppose you just get Mark Levinson to raise his voice... :blink:

Never had a Lexus before, but had a 2 Toyota's, which were fabulously reliable...so expect to keep this for at least 100k!

I agree about the rattles, even more so because I have an SE-L with Multimedia on order! The only good thing about it is the Lexus warranty and the Lexus Customer Care, hopefully either or both will sort out any problems.

I agree the seats are heated, but not instantly - when you climb in the car when it is circa -1C leather is considerably colder to the touch than cloth.

I admit I am in the minority here but I had a car with leather a few years ago and the change to lexus escaine was a nice change and not so cold in the Winter.

Again in the Summer, climbing into a leather seat which has been in the sun for a few hours and you have no shirt on - ooooooooh

Perhaps you should start wearing some pants :P then you won't have the cold/heat of leather on your naked buttocks :whistling:

Perhaps you should start wearing some pants :P then you won't have the cold/heat of leather on your naked buttocks :whistling:

Now a seat with some built in vibration would be worth paying for. better than sitting on the mobile phone and waiting for a call!!

Well, I seem to be in a minority, but I didn't like the IS250 that much....

Of course it's a good car, and if I was given one I'd be pleased. But:

1. as noted above, the spec is inflexible - e.g. can't get heated seats on base model

2. it's very noisy due to tyre roar - one of my few criticisms of my IS200. Even on some 30 mph roads it was loud and on the M11 I couldn't hear what the dealer was saying in the back.

3. I found the driving experience rather remote - the steering felt slightly detatched (although it handeled well) and the car felt rather big and heavy rather than nimble.

4. Torque has improved, but I was expecting more from the extra 500cc

In summary, I found the car a bit middle aged.

I'm very dissapointed as I've loved my IS200 to bits.

I'll probably get the Audi A4 with the 2.0T engine - preferrably the limited edition version with 217 BHP.

I agree about the rattles, even more so because I have an SE-L with Multimedia on order!  The only good thing about it is the Lexus warranty and the Lexus Customer Care, hopefully either or both will sort out any problems.

Seems a few people have mentioned rattle on the New IS dash with Multimedia. I have driven over 15 different New IS models and none of them rattled. The only minor problem is the surround where your left knee rests. This clicks on some of the very first models (November cars) but seems to have been put right on the ones coming through in December. On mine I have just had a small piece of foam insrted into the dash and it cured it straight away. As said before, its all covered under warranty, so worry not my friends. :D

I agree about the rattles, even more so because I have an SE-L with Multimedia on order!  The only good thing about it is the Lexus warranty and the Lexus Customer Care, hopefully either or both will sort out any problems.

Seems a few people have mentioned rattle on the New IS dash with Multimedia. I have driven over 15 different New IS models and none of them rattled. The only minor problem is the surround where your left knee rests. This clicks on some of the very first models (November cars) but seems to have been put right on the ones coming through in December. On mine I have just had a small piece of foam insrted into the dash and it cured it straight away. As said before, its all covered under warranty, so worry not my friends. :D

I'm not that worried as mentioned before it will be covered under warranty. I heard that it might be better to wait for at least a year before ordering a new model of car to give them time to iron our any niggles and with the comments about the rattle I was starting to think I had done the wrong thing ordering one of the first ones, but I'm sure it will be fine.

I have driven two SE-Ls with MM and must admit neither of them had a rattle.

I'm not that worried as mentioned before it will be covered under warranty. I heard that it might be better to wait for at least a year before ordering a new model of car to give them time to iron our any niggles and with the comments about the rattle I was starting to think I had done the wrong thing ordering one of the first ones, but I'm sure it will be fine.

I have driven two SE-Ls with MM and must admit neither of them had a rattle.

Lexus and niggles dont go together!! Ha, you'll be fine, should have bought it from me at Lexus Nottingham though!! Hope it goes well for you. They are an awesome car.

Well, I seem to be in a minority, but I didn't like the IS250 that much....

Of course it's a good car, and if I was given one I'd be pleased.  But:

1. as noted above, the spec is inflexible - e.g. can't get heated seats on base model

2. it's very noisy due to tyre roar - one of my few criticisms of my IS200.  Even on some 30 mph roads it was loud and on the M11 I couldn't hear what the dealer was saying in the back.

3. I found the driving experience rather remote - the steering felt slightly detatched (although it handeled well) and the car felt rather big and heavy rather than nimble.

4. Torque has improved, but I was expecting more from the extra 500cc

In summary, I found the car a bit middle aged.

I'm very dissapointed as I've loved my IS200 to bits.

I'll probably get the Audi A4 with the 2.0T engine - preferrably the limited edition version with 217 BHP.

I think the "tyre roar" or noise from the road is exagerated because the car is generally so quite in the cabin due to the soundproofing and lack of wind noise. :driving:

I bet if you put a gauge inside th cabin and measured the dB's you'd find the IS250 one of the quietest in its class.

Middle age? I think it's more mature than the old version, and this shows, because it is unlikely that boy racers are going to be buying copy cat IS250 rear light clusters for their pocket rockets. The old IS was a boy racer icon, and is that really a good thing? The only thing that made the old IS a little bit middleage was the fact that Alan Partridge (a ha!) had one. :blink: That was the biggest blow to most IS200 owners at the time. "Its a Japanese mercades, back of the net".

As for buying an Audi A4, what can I say :P

Autocar has road tested the IS220d, quite a poor rating for a premium new car.

Summary of scorecard

Engine - Strong, narrow powerband, refinement questionable for a Lexus (3/5)

Transmission - Balky and obstructive, no auto (3/5)

Steering - size, weighting, precision fine, missing feel since electric (3.5/5)

Brakes - Big discs cope with quicker IS250 (4.5/5)

Handling - Good poise and grip, surprisingly quick cross country, no flair or fun (3.5/5)

Ride - Worryingly firm at low speeds, fine on motorway, no class leader (3.5/5)

Economy - High engine output and hefty car, lags class leader (3.5/5)

Driving Position - Beautifully judged, no issue (4.5/5)

Instruments - Clear dials, sound ergonomics, minor switches scattered (4/5)

Equipment - Keyless entry std, sat nav steep proce, SE spec to have (4/5)

Liveability - Great in front, poor rear, boot size smallest in class (3/5)

Quality - Lives up to a Lexus, solid, will last decades (4.5/5)

Value - Lot of kit, diesel should be residually strong (4/5)

Safety - Should get full 5 star NCAP (4.5/5)

OVERALL - 3.5/5 Interesting but flawed diesel exec.

Some other key points from the review - it's a mile behind the class leader (BMW 320d), and is also ranked behind the Merc 220 CDi...........Sat Nav is probably the best in the world............noticeably rattly at idle, OK for a Toyota but not a Lexus.

As someone who follows the motor industry extremely closely, i feel bound to say that Autocar has seriously compromised its reputation for objective journalism with its review of the new IS model. it is no secret that BMW is Autocar's largest single advertiser and theefore takes no leap of the imagination to summise that the magazine simply cannot afford to say anything that would alienate its German client. Top Gear had no hesitation in awarding the IS250 the category crown and even Car has come round to the new IS. Autocar is pathetic.

Moreover, the BMW 320d is one of BMW's best-selling models. This is the one car they don't want messed up. So Autocar fetlt obliged to pan the Lexus. Is the IS220 as off-the-pace as it suggests? No way. The lack of an auto is to be regreted, but the engine is absolutely fine. Actually, it's more than that. It's a gem and will last a lot longer than any BMW motor. Toyota has invested so much more in this engine than BMW did in theirs. They really wanted it to be the best. If 220d sounds strange at idle, it is because it is an all alloy unit.

Of course, the IS will never sell in the same sort of volumes as the 3-Series; it was never intended to and BMW knows this - but the fact that BMW has tried so hard to pee on Lexus' firework shows just how scared of Lexus the Germans are. They should be scared. The Japanese are hot.

If there's one Lexus model that all German manufactuers need to be scared of is not the IS, but the new LS which we'll see launched in a few weeks time at the Detroit Show.

I am a new member and will be picking up my new IS 250 SEL auto+MM tomorrow. Very EXCITED.

I have been following the posts for some time and have enjoyed the discussions on all aspects of the new IS.

I also follow the motor industry closely and can't agree more with Tailpipe's analysis on Autocar's rather pathetic attempt at objective journalism, which dissapoints me, since I subscribe to it.

A friend has had the privilege of driving the IS220d and BMW 320d on the same day and believes Autocar have based their verdict solely on the on limit ability as a drivers car, which most drivers will rarely experience. Overall he felt the IS diesel was a far superior car to the BMW in virtually all other departments with the exception of rear passenger and boot space. Autocar biased or what!! I wanted an Auto so that ruled out the 220d.

The Japanese are producing brilliant cars that are putting the willies up the German manufacturers.

I have driven all of the so called IS250 competitors (3 series, A4, C Class & X-Type) and the IS IMO was a class above and superb value for money.

This was my Equivalent Spec Comparison;

Lexus IS250 SEL Auto+MM+metallic (base price £28,000) OTR £32,200

Audi A4 2.0FSi Sport line Auto+++++ (base price £23,280) OTR £38,220

BMW 325i M Sport Auto++++++++ (base price £28255) OTR £40,135

Jaguar X-Type SE Auto+++++++ (base price £27,470) OTR £32,920 [some options not available]

Mercedes C230 Sport Auto+++++ (base price £28,370) OTR £41,050

In 3 years I know which car will retain its value the best and likely to be the most comfortable, reliable and provide the best customer care and it begins with 'L'.

As Tailpipe said the competition should be scared very scared!

Bravo CurtisP!

You will be delighted by your purchase. But you and i are not alone in our clear recognition of the new IS's advantages. This forum and others like it are full of extremely well informed and independent-thinking buyers, many of whom are somewhat "hard-bitten" through bad experiences with car brands that should know better.

I realise that anyone buying a car for themselves and spending over £30,000 tends to be extremely smart. Rather like Audi became the thinking man's Mercedes/ BMW 20 years ago, Lexus is now poised to do the same.

I'm not sure I want the whole world to end up driving a Lexus. It will lose its uniqueness. As far as I'm concerned, I am the only person who needs to know that it is genuinely superior to BMWs et al.

Bravo CurtisP!

You will be delighted by your purchase. But you and i are not alone in our clear recognition of the new IS's advantages. This forum and others like it are full of extremely well informed and independent-thinking buyers, many of whom are somewhat "hard-bitten" through bad experiences with car brands that should know better.

I realise that anyone buying a car for themselves and spending over £30,000 tends to be extremely smart. Rather like Audi became the thinking man's Mercedes/ BMW 20 years ago, Lexus is now poised to do the same.

I'm not sure I want the whole world to end up driving a Lexus. It will lose its uniqueness. As far as I'm concerned, I am the only person who needs to know that it is genuinely superior to BMWs et al.

A salesman with passion for his product, unheard of I know, but this is a LEXUS!!

True, the bit at the end is so true, I sell these cars for a living and I'm the only one who needs to know that I sell the best car in its class. It makes it so much easier to sell these cars, because they sell themselves, they are awesome. True Lexus wont be the biggest seller in the world, but who cares, I dont want to see one on every street corner. We'll still sell as many as they can build, and I'm so looking forward to my best January ever, especially with the diesel due any day now. I still want the guy sat next to me at the traffic lights to stare at my new IS. It makes me so happy to see a BMW 3 Series pull into my car park, because I know that the people inside it will be blown away with the quality and finish of the new IS. The BMW and Audi are good cars, but the IS is a GREAT car, The Mercedes c class is awful but there is a new one out next year.

Long live the IS, its here to stay and its the best in class and its paying my mortgage at the minute!!

Bravo CurtisP!

A salesman with passion for his product, unheard of I know, but this is a LEXUS!!

True, the bit at the end is so true, I sell these cars for a living and I'm the only one who needs to know that I sell the best car in its class. It makes it so much easier to sell these cars, because they sell themselves, they are awesome. True Lexus wont be the biggest seller in the world, but who cares, I dont want to see one on every street corner. We'll still sell as many as they can build, and I'm so looking forward to my best January ever, especially with the diesel due any day now. I still want the guy sat next to me at the traffic lights to stare at my new IS. It makes me so happy to see a BMW 3 Series pull into my car park, because I know that the people inside it will be blown away with the quality and finish of the new IS. The BMW and Audi are good cars, but the IS is a GREAT car, The Mercedes c class is awful but there is a new one out next year.

Long live the IS, its here to stay and its the best in class and its paying my mortgage at the minute!!

:) Hi There. I too have an SE-L MM auto on order, but have elected to wait until march for the new reg plate ( earliest was Feb anyway...so a few more weeks wont hurt ) I also added the sunroof, but went for black so saved the cost there :-)

Wondered how you got on with prices and discounts- seems to be a bit of a no no with lexus dealers??

This is the first brand new car I have ever bought ( company car driver until retirement last month ) and confess to some nerves having been seduced by the test drive(was convinced up to that point that I would go for the BMW320d) but the IS250 blew us away...... :D Blew all the pension lump sum on this baby...and worried a bit when I read the autocar review too. Seems running costs overall are gonna be a bit steep - my dealer said I could expect 30 mpg+ - but somehow I doubt it, I have a bit of a heavy right foot :driving:

ANYWAY....please let us know how it all lives up to the dream when you get yours tomorrow. Interested also to know if I can fill a DVD with mp3 files and whether the unit will play 'em ??

Cheers.

PS a few more suggestions for Insurance quotes would be appreciated on this site ?? :blink:

I am a new member and will be picking up my new IS 250 SEL auto+MM tomorrow. Very EXCITED.

I am soooo jealous. I ordered mine a few weeks ago believing there to be one in the country in my spec. The dealer then told me the car would arrive on the 16th December and then its just a matter of getting the car to me, but they would know more when the car arrived at the docks.

16th came and went with nothing from the dealer. Saturday I rang them to be told that the boat didn't land when expected and they would let me know more about a delivery date on Monday.

It is nearly 3.30pm and still no call from the dealer

Sigh! I spent so much time debating about the car and now I have ordered it I just want it!

Bravo CurtisP!

DVD Changer is MP3 compatible, and also has an AUX socket for your IPOd!!

Best car steroe you will ever hear, get a decent, bassy track and stick it on MAX and listen to your ears bleed!! its awesome.

:) Hi There. I too have an SE-L MM auto on order, but have elected to wait until march for the new reg plate ( earliest was Feb anyway...so a few more weeks wont hurt ) I also added the sunroof, but went for black so saved the cost there :-)

Wondered how you got on with prices and discounts- seems to be a bit of a no no with lexus dealers??

This is the first brand new car I have ever bought ( company car driver until retirement last month ) and confess to some nerves having been seduced by the test drive(was convinced up to that point that I would go for the BMW320d) but the IS250 blew us away...... :D Blew all the pension lump sum on this baby...and worried a bit when I read the autocar review too. Seems running costs overall are gonna be a bit steep - my dealer said I could expect 30 mpg+ - but somehow I doubt it, I have a bit of a heavy right foot :driving:

ANYWAY....please let us know how it all lives up to the dream when you get yours tomorrow. Interested also to know if I can fill a DVD with mp3 files and whether the unit will play 'em ??

Cheers.

PS a few more suggestions for Insurance quotes would be appreciated on this site ?? :blink:

Bravo CurtisP!

Best car steroe you will ever hear, get a decent, bassy track and stick it on MAX and listen to your ears bleed!! its awesome.

Cheers.

You may even be older than me! Just for info my IS200 Sport was insured last year with Tesco after max NCD was £373.80, which includes £22.05 legal protection and £12.60 for a temporary replacement car. My new IS250 SE-L MM has been insured for £285.00, including replacement car and protected no claims! This came from an initial query through the Insurers recommended on the GOLD forum but turned out to be cheaper than going through their agreement with LOC. They will be contacting me when my IS200 is due for renewal in June 2006 and I fully expect to be paying less than £250.00 for that renewal. :D

Bravo CurtisP!

Cheers.

You may even be older than me! Just for info my IS200 Sport was insured last year with Tesco after max NCD was £373.80, which includes £22.05 legal protection and £12.60 for a temporary replacement car. My new IS250 SE-L MM has been insured for £285.00, including replacement car and protected no claims! This came from an initial query through the Insurers recommended on the GOLD forum but turned out to be cheaper than going through their agreement with LOC. They will be contacting me when my IS200 is due for renewal in June 2006 and I fully expect to be paying less than £250.00 for that renewal. :D

I guess then that 275 pounds (from "More Than") is about as good as it is gonna get. Yes I may be older than you...but then again I may not :P

I know about the Aux in socket - but I have the Creative Zen mp3 unit, and doubt that there will be any form of control of this via the simple jacksocket provided, and this means then having to use the players original pad or wired remote. I would rather load a pile of mp3s onto a DVD disk, but am unsure as to whether the unit will play them. I know it is mp3 compatible, but this may just be using cds, and although dvd films will play soundtracks whilst on the move, these are not normally in mp3 format.Anyone actually got the mm pack and tried dvds full of mp3??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links