Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

post-5873-1111442466.jpg

Hello Everybody

I've been meaning and meaning to get more involved and a year slipped by. Only remembered about this place when I renewed my subscription - sorry. Update of how I'm getting on with my GS300 Sport Mk1 below categorised by headings:

Lights After I scabbled out indicators I followed the thread re: clear side repeaters and got the RX300 ones. Big improvement, very proud and posted pic in my garage. Thanks for that.

Bought some blue/white headlamp bulbs off eBay (Canada) and threw them away after a month or two as unreliable. Silvertek? Any info?

Got some rear bumper lamps from eBay (USA) which the box said were for the front bumper of Mk2 although seller says for the rear bumper of Mk1. Completely different shape so beware. Got yet another joker to remove blanking plates and have scratched up holes now (for about a year). They are bolted in from rear and don't come off with a screwdriver. Have new blanking plates but don't know how to get bumper off to replace them. Lexus quoted rather a lot. Unproud! Help?

Beautification/Paint Care Got the yellow clay block from Lexuscare and really got stuck into it one day and didn't really notice alot of difference compared with metallic finish T-cut. Thought it didn't matter too much due to low cost (apart from shipping) until white dots appeared all over my bumpers. Probably got some grit in there so need respraying now.

Steering This is the big one. Paid £750 to Lexus to replace ball joints and do a real pucker 4 wheel alignment job including camber/toe settings etc. Alot of money on a £7k car but for the first time in 2 years ownership I can drive down the M23 without feeling I'm fighting a losing battle with an argumentative bitch of a steering wheel. Price included 10% gold member discount, so expensive, but not as expensive as a new set of front tyres every 6 months. I understand Skodas have never had this problem.

Radio Left the traffic announcement thing on and even though I was listening to a CD the aerial went up in a car wash and result resembled a tree in late '87 after strong winds. Lexus didn't replace the wole thing, just the metal bit and it was quite an economic repair. This is the one time I've been impressed with Lexus Croydon on the economic front.

Servive/ECU Reset Again from this forum I learnt abot ECU reset, and did it after a service as someone mentioned you lose all your error codes and the Lexus diagnostics maybe can't pick everything up if you wipe it beforehand. Not sure what to attribute improvements to service vs ECU reset but acceleration alot better, everything better and miles per gallon about 10% better.

Where I want to be in 6 months I was going to get rid of my GS as it was so bad on MPG and also on motorway handling/driving which is why I wanted a big cruiser to begin with. (When I first sat in the car at the dealers and the steering wheel moved when I put the key in all other criteria evaporated from my little boys toys brain and I told him I wanted it).

Having just now spent £1200 on a service and all the wheel stuff I need to keep it for the rest of my life. Next I want tinted windows (but not black). Also I want those eyelid things and the wind deflectors for the tops of the windows. I want this to coincide with finding someone that can do small areas of paint as someone on this forum sprayed the headlamp eyelids themselves and lost it all in a carwash. If I can get the accessories painted then hopefully at the same time I can get the other minor areas of damage cleared up as well.

When I get a bit richer I want TDI to do me an exhaust and induction system and after that, when I really hit the big time I will pay someone to work out why I have to be practically underneath my car before the remote lock release key fob will actually do anything that will help me get into the driving seat.

Other than that I still like my big fat Lexus. It's a Mk1, its 8 years old, it's not a prestige car anymore - but when I walk up to it in a car park especially at night, I 99% of the time think it's the best car there. It looks like there might be a gangster in town, and it makes every single Mercedes and BMW with all their chintzy little silver/chrome bits look like the big girl's accessories they really are.

Any help with the back bumper appreciated, sorry for length of post (its only once a year), and another thing - to get bigger back wheels I'd have to buy a Ferrari with just two seats made for thin people with short legs, so where's the economy in that?

Cheers

Paul

but when I walk up to it in a car park especially at night, I 99% of the time think it's the best car there. It looks like there might be a gangster in town

I know the feeling.. Park next to a crummy beemers and the car has so much more style

in regards to the tiny white dots on the bumper.. thats cmmon.. also have it on my motor too.

clay bar does not do the same job as T-cut... clay bar does not cut into the paint work.. but it removes tree sap, road tar off and all crap on your paint work. They both do a completly different job

Radio Left the traffic announcement thing on and even though I was listening to a CD the aerial went up in a car wash and result resembled a tree in late '87 after strong winds. Lexus didn't replace the wole thing, just the metal bit and it was quite an economic repair. This is the one time I've been impressed with Lexus Croydon on the economic front.

ouch mate... you will do more damage to your paintwork that just the arial.. car washes are lethal to your paintwork mate... bucket and sponge is the best way

Car is looking realy great ,keep thinking of selling mine and upgrading but have the same problem as you that i just love the shape and when i park it up in a car park it just stands out against all the other cars in there .good to see you back

looking good Paul!

I still hold that the MKI GS looks substatnially better that an equivalent age merc /bm.

the constant facelifting means that old Mercs look old.

Also I want those eyelid things and the wind deflectors for the tops of the windows.

Prolex do these (I got a set from them).

Eyelids

I am sure I have seem them post about wind deflectors, but cant find them in their store. Hopefully Dave will read this and let you know if they still have them.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links