Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spongey Pedal

TheDon

Well i have just been to 3 places, 2 different quick fits and a Hi-Q as i realy wanted my brakes bled and a fluid change.

i think i would have had an easier time trying to buy a nuclear missile!

normal response was - cant do it unless we do a 1 hour brake check. but cant do it this week! leave your car with us (do i look like i wanna leave my car with those dumb *****'es back there - nope)

or - brake fluid doesnt make the pedal go spongey - but when i had my bikes etc as soon as they went spongey i changed the fluid or bled the brakes and all was fine.

am i doing something wrong here - or does anyone want to help me bleed the brakes as im poo at doing fluid changes on cars.

many thanks for any help

:D :D :D :D :D

not sure how far you are from swanley but if you take the lane that go,s down the side of da ja vou night club and chuck the first right down to wilmington there is a place called knights yard .the first workshop on the right is owned by a bloke called graham and he will be able to help you out .he is also a very good sprayer .Other than that there are some good self bleed kits out there and are a peice of :tsktsk: to use .have to find out what order to bleed the brakes in though

Here's an "insider" veiw. Any brake work must have a "complete" brake check?

The customer is not qualified to diagnose the reason for the problem only the sysmtoms. on that note "why" do you have a "spongey" pedel, do you know?

my spongy pedal was due to a sticking caliper guide pin

That reason is an "educated" reason for the need to "bleed", but it could have been a leaking cylinder, or master and so on.... so if "crap fit" did just remove the air from the system but the real problem was the master they in effect could be aiding an accident, that is why most "insist" you must have a full brake check.I assume you will be replacing the "overheated" pads :excl:

i am took the pads out and filed the glazed area away, checked the calipers and they are perfectly fine. the fluid hasnt been changed in over 2 years or more and since the charger the brakes are taking a lot more strain.

The main reason for a massive noticing on how spongey the feel had become was the delivery of my new passat and how responsive the brakes are and firm.

all the guide pins are sliding smoothly.

obviously i would like to have a full check but rather than turn people away they should at least not act like cocks and assume that i dont know a single thing about cars.

the brakes in the passat and tbh across the whole vw range are very sharp and take some getting used to .you could bleed the brakes all day and it will not match the feel of the ones in your passat.

the brakes in the passat and tbh across the whole vw range are very sharp and take some getting used to .you could bleed the brakes all day and it will not match the feel of the ones in your passat.

true, i had the use of a BORA for a day and that bugger could stop on a 2 pence piece!

either way there is a definate lack of pressure building up quickly, only towards the bottom of the stoke is any pressure availiable.

obviously i would like to have a full check but rather than turn people away they should at least not act like cocks and assume that i dont know a single thing about cars.

What you know should be used as a silent advantage, if any bull***t is deliverd then a least you can see it in advance.

they should at least not act like cocks and assume that i dont know a single thing about cars.

does anyone want to help me bleed the brakes as im poo at doing fluid changes on cars.

many thanks for any help

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

:D :D

What he says, and what he says, are two diff things Pete :D :D :lol::lol:

If you buy a Gunsons Easi-Bleed kit, make sure you buy the universal cap to go with it. The standard caps don't fit Toyota or Lexus., and if you drill a standard cap to fit the kit'll just blow it back off the reservoir.

what i am saying GORD and Scorp is that i know whats going on with the car, yet i also lack the experience to do the fluid change on the car myself - and seeing as the braking system is so important i know my limitations and am prepared to go for the needed help.

Altho give me a motorbike and i can bleed them all day long, just not cars as i have never done one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i like that idea!!!

cheers scorpion! will do, so do i leave the main reservoir open when i bleed them, as with the bikes?

I'll think you'll find bleeding them won't make any difference.If you read a few of the other threads you'll find out it's a common problem with the IS200. I bled mine three times and changed the master cylinder. I also stripped down,cleaned and lubricated all the calipers, to no avail. I did sort it out, but it's a bit too complex if you don't have any mechanical skills on cars. I have a thread explaining how to do it, but DON'T do it yourself.

so even tho this has been a condition that has worseed over 6 months of hard hard driving and braking it wont be linked to air etc in the fluid?

so even tho this has been a condition that has worseed over 6 months of hard hard driving and braking it wont be linked to air etc in the fluid?

If that's the case, then yes it may help to bleed the brakes, you may have boiled the fluid. To be honest if you've done brakes on bikes, cars are as easy, if not easier. Just remember to keep your reservoir topped up and I find it's better not to let the pedal go down right to the floor. Probably not a problem on the Lexus, but some models I've bled,if you push the pedal to the floor, that part of the master cylinder doesn't get used often, and it can get a build up in it and damage the seals. Best to only take it down 75%. The easy bleeds are the best, but you need the top for the Lexus master cylinder. You will definitely manage if you've done bikes. If your braking hard, use a top fluid, even go for a DOT 5 for higher boiling point.

cool, will do that first if it doesnt work then i will have a pro look at it asap.

Car only gets used once or twice a week at mo so will do it if the weather warms up a so i can do it in the evening!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links