Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No Sound From Head Unit!

Hi,

Big Problem guys! :(

I am getting NO SOUND from my head unit at all!

What could have caused it?

I was messing with some wires (+12, Aux and ground) which I was soldering and heatshrinking to use with the Sat Nav housing I recently got. When I finished I turned the car on and I get NO sound at all - except from my Parrot Carkit - which is working fine - sound comming through the speakers and mute.

Surely this must be something simple? Have I just unplugged something?

Please Help! :blink::blink::crybaby::crybaby:

also, turn up the volume loud - see if you can just hear the bass...

that would point to the amp tripping - it has a protection circuit, so if you short the speaker terminals, it wont output..

that would point to the amp tripping - it has a protection circuit, so if you short the speaker terminals, it wont output..

I turned it up loud and I got a hissing sound. How could I have shorted the amp?? Do I need a fuse? Where do I put it?

I turned it up loud and I got a hissing sound. How could I have shorted the amp?? Do I need a fuse? Where do I put it?

if your getting a hissing, then the amp hasnt shut down - sounds like an output from the headunit issue...

If the problem was not there originally, only after you've cut, soldered wires. Then surely its a dodgy reconnection or what ever you've added to it?

Have you double checked all soldering etc. Might be something simple like that, cable not connected correctly etc.

Sorry mate if it seems stupid advice :blush::tomato:

If the problem was not there originally, only after you've cut, soldered wires. Then surely its a dodgy reconnection or what ever you've added to it?

Have you double checked all soldering etc. Might be something simple like that, cable not connected correctly etc.

Sorry mate if it seems stupid advice :blush:  :tomato:

Adie...thanks.....ALL advice is appricated! :D

Thing is I never even went near the Head Unit, I was just linking onto some +12v, +12VAux, ground wires I had from my car kit. I just joined up the wires for the Sat Nav housing to it properly. I did have to pull them firmly to keep my soldering iron from touching the dash. Guess I could have pulled something out?

But then the sound from the car kit works fine??

Damn......if its not one thing its another............... :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Try this:

Rain was somehow getting into the interior of the sc400 and soaking under the back seat on the driver's side. This shorts out the plug for the car telephone. For now, I have unplugged the telephone plug. (I took the 'phone out any way). If you lift the back seat, you will find two plugs. One is white. Leave that alone. Unplug the orange plug and your sound system should come back.

Good luck :D

Try this:

Rain was somehow getting into the interior of the sc400 and soaking under the back seat on the driver's side. This shorts out the plug for the car telephone. For now, I have unplugged the telephone plug. (I took the 'phone out any way). If you lift the back seat, you will find two plugs. One is white. Leave that alone. Unplug the orange plug and your sound system should come back.

Good luck :D

Thanks mate for the advice.

I have been testing the Prolex AUX-IN module for the IS200 headunit. The one I was testing had both an input for a RCA connection and for connecting a phone kit. The problem was that somehow(?) a transister in the AUX-IN had blown and locked the headunit into phone mute mode!!

Thankfully fixed now!! :D

locked the headunit into phone mute mode!!

Is that an aftermarket head unit ?

I didn't think the std head units had phone mode ? - just a "mute" option ?

Standard one! :D

Its a feature of the Prolex AUX-IN!! You can have two inputs - one being the sound from an input (RCA) and the other from a phonekit (think it costs extra however). Not sure of the technical info, but thats how the Parrot CK3100 is connected! I get sound through the car speakers and it mutes the audio from the radio/cd/aux when I get a call.

I'll be doing my review very shortly.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links