Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Going to look to buy my first Lexus tomorrow. A 1997 GS300 Sport. What should I be looking at with these vehicles? Any weak spots (I know Lexus are legendary for reliability but they must still have weaker points) . At what mileage should the auto tranny fluid be changed and where is the transmission fluid dipstick. Any tips/advice is much appreciated. :blush:

Going to look to buy my first Lexus tomorrow. A 1997 GS300 Sport. What should I be looking at with these vehicles?  Any weak spots (I know Lexus are legendary for reliability but they must still have weaker points) . At what mileage should the auto tranny fluid be changed and where is the transmission fluid dipstick. Any tips/advice is much appreciated.  :blush:

How did you get on,did you buy it?

No, sold before I got there :angry: Going to see an 1993 K plate LS400 tomorrow..it hasnt got full Lexus History but mostly dealer stamps to start with then independant garage for the rest of the full history....any ideas what to check on these beauties? Also where is the gearbox oil dipstick on them? Any help/advice much appreciated :winky:

No, sold before I got there  :angry: Going to see an 1993 K plate LS400 tomorrow..it hasnt got full Lexus History but mostly dealer stamps to start with then independant garage for the rest of the full history....any ideas what to check on these beauties? Also where is the gearbox oil dipstick on them? Any help/advice much appreciated  :winky:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=22750

Ive still got my LS400 forsale if your interested,make me a offer :)

Have purchased the LS400 today subject to a few problems being sorted by the dealer. Dash lights not working and front gas struts on bonnet knackered. If trader cannot sort out the dashlights he will give me my deposit back. Hopefully by next week once its been MOT'd I'll have my first Lexus all being well. I'm going onto the LS400 forum now to see what people think could be the problem. :lol::lol:

Not wishing to hijack this thread, but on a similar note, I'm seriously considering coming back into Lexus ownership after a short spell on the dark side, anyhoo, with a baby due later this year the 350Z has to go and I've been looking at the GS430 Sport, what should I look for buying one that's about 2 years old with around 30K on the clock? I'm sure I remember something about cambelts being changed at 50K is that true?

Apologies if there is a "guide" - I did try to search.

For an 2003/03 Parkers says

Franchised Dealer £ 21480

Independent Dealer £ 20585

Private Good £ 18795

Private Poor £ 16470

Part Exchange £ 17365

for the standard GS430, no nav

Up to

Franchised Dealer £ 23400

Independent Dealer £ 22425

Private Good £ 20475

Private Poor £ 17940

Part Exchange £ 18915

for the GS430 Sport with nav

They are really good cars - very happy with mine. Wont handle anything like the 350z - but test drive one, see if you like it ;)

But - gotta say - sorry to see you are thinking of changing cars already mate - you only got the 350Z 6 months ago didnt you?

Read your post about the problems a while back - sounds like you have not had anything resolved.

Of course it would be great to have you back in the club - but would be a lot nicer if it was under better circumstances :(

Thanks Matt,

Believe it or not, but it's been a year since I got the Z! It looks like (touchwood) they have finally nailed the problem with the lights by changing out the wiring loom - they gave me a Murano to cruise about in for a few weeks which I've got to say was fantastic - it may not have the Lexus badge, but it was every bit as good as the RX300, anyway, I'll be sorry to see the Z go to be honest but it just won't be practical to keep it once the baby arrives - we've still got the CRV too, but there may be times when he/she would have to go in my car, and a two-seater is not practical and especially as the airbag can't be disabled.

:blush: I need to whisper this, but I've also been looking at a BMW 530d - fully loaded for £25K - and those VW toe-rag things. :blush:

:blush: I need to whisper this, but I've also been looking at a BMW 530d - fully loaded for £25K - and those VW toe-rag things. :blush:

I had a 530d for a while, and the only thing it had going for it was that it very smooth and quite quick - especially for a diesel.

I was remarkably unimpressed and preferred my IS200 to it :blush:

The GS (both 300 and 430) are nicer to drive and own.

Just my experience though mate - you test drive one and make your own mind up.

According to Parkers, £25k will get you the "fully loaded" GS430 Sport with nav, and you'd still have change - if you look at my avatar you'll be able to see what I reckon ;)

Yeah I know you're right in what you say, but the fuel economy in the 430 might be the killer for me - at the moment the Z is saying 26.9mpg/av speed 33mph which is great considering the engine size, I'm pretty sure the 430 is something like 24mpg combined? Which is why I was looking at oil burners.

i would say a full lexus history is a must with the LS400 as any scrimping on servicing will cost you a fortune in the long run .

Why?

I'd say a good independant can be just as good or bad as a franchised dealer. The Leeds Lexus is a joint Toyota/Lexus operation and despite being told that the Toyota side don't do lexus, everytime I've been in I've seen at least one Lexus up on the lifts being sorted by a lad in Toyota livery. Taking into consideration the difference in service costs for Lexus to Toyota this just seems a rip off.

Up until recently I used the same independant that the previous owner used and have to say his facilities and work was proably the best I have ever come across. The only complaint I could site was that he changed the sparkplugs at 45,000 (After ringing the local Lexus dealer for confirmation) and then did it again at 90,000. I had meant to point it out to him when I dropped it off but forgot :tsktsk:

To be fair he is one of the older generation and took great pride in his work and you could tell.

i would say a full lexus history is a must with the LS400 as any scrimping on servicing will cost you a fortune in the long run .

Why?

I'd say a good independant can be just as good or bad as a franchised dealer. The Leeds Lexus is a joint Toyota/Lexus operation and despite being told that the Toyota side don't do lexus, everytime I've been in I've seen at least one Lexus up on the lifts being sorted by a lad in Toyota livery. Taking into consideration the difference in service costs for Lexus to Toyota this just seems a rip off.

Up until recently I used the same independant that the previous owner used and have to say his facilities and work was proably the best I have ever come across. The only complaint I could site was that he changed the sparkplugs at 45,000 (After ringing the local Lexus dealer for confirmation) and then did it again at 90,000. I had meant to point it out to him when I dropped it off but forgot :tsktsk:

To be fair he is one of the older generation and took great pride in his work and you could tell.

I would have to agree I have come across many a situation when the independent (a good independent) is equal to if not better then many main dealers out there & on top of that you can save yourself an arm and a leg off the main dealer labour rates. The main thing when buying any car should be a full service history preferably with service invoices attached rather then just a stamped up book, so that you can see exactly what has been done to the car.

I'd have to agree.....the amount of fraudulent service history's is frighjtening anyway. Its a little but more difficult to forge something you have full invoices for going into detail. I have ended up buying a bmw 730 after the LS400 I put a deposit on needed £1000 worth of work on the dash lights! Guess the a Lexus was never to be. ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links