Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello fellow Lexus owners

Have been a Lexus owner (LS400 1997 Mk 3) for 5 years and only just found this site - guess that shows how good the cars really are because I've never needed to find out anything about the car before!! But having had 120,000 plus troublefree miles there are now some issues that someone out there may be able to help with.

Door mirror glass--the heating element is now starting to show through the mirror and having checked out the price-don't really want to pay that! Does anyone know if they can be recoated or where i could buy one...cheap?

Windscreen wiper travel - is this adjustable as mine overruns and hits the windscreen frame on Hi speed wipe?

The dreaded security code in the radio!! - I know my code but since my mechanic disconnected the Battery the SEC appears all the time in the stereo window and whilst I can get the next stage up with the arrows and input the code ...nothing happens. Also when I had to do this once before I'm sure there was a number on one side showing the number of attempts. Does anyone know how to get back to a totally blank screen so I have to make the SEC display come up as this might enable me to sort out?

Any thoughts on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Finally is anyone breaking a MK3 as there are a few cosmetic items I’m looking for?

Hello fellow Lexus owners

Have been a Lexus owner (LS400 1997 Mk 3) for 5 years and only just found this site - guess that shows how good the cars really are because I've never needed to find out anything about the car before!! But having had 120,000 plus troublefree miles there are now some issues that someone out there may be able to help with.

Door mirror glass--the heating element is now starting to show through the mirror and having checked out the price-don't really want to pay that! Does anyone know if they can be recoated or where i could buy one...cheap?

Windscreen wiper travel - is this adjustable as mine overruns and hits the windscreen frame on Hi speed wipe?

The dreaded security code in the radio!! - I know my code but since my mechanic disconnected the battery the SEC appears all the time in the stereo window and whilst I can get the next stage up with the arrows and input the code ...nothing happens. Also when I had to do this once before I'm sure there was a number on one side showing the number of attempts. Does anyone know how to get back to a totally blank screen so I have to make the SEC display come up as this might enable me to sort out?

Any thoughts on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Finally is anyone breaking a MK3 as there are a few cosmetic items I’m looking for?

Wow!! A ser 3 with a Radio screen that you can READ! Must be a first!. Good luck on your other issues! (Strange; I've had my Battery out a couple of times, without any loss!)

Hi Nigellexus, Guildford, Im flying around in a MkIII in Farnham.

I think if you read the owners manual, the radio comes with no code set. It is then the choice of the owner if he/she wishes to set one of their choice. I'm hoping to do some work on the car tomorrow so will check on it.

Wing mirrors, how often do you really need to use the heating element. When I was looking for an LS400 I saw a couple where the element was showing through, so I guess you are not the only one. How about just getting a Halfords stick on mirror and just stick it onto what you have now??? It will be less than a tenner for the pair.

If you find a Mk III being broken, please let me know, I'm after some mats and indicator glasses.

Wipers, perhaps the motor mechanism has moved a bit and can be repositioned a bit to overcome the over wipe. I imagine it is pretty anoying when it goes thud on the screen edge every wipe.

Chris, the radio display on my Mk III is 100%, I think it is more the MkI & MkII that have serious radia LCD fading problems.

My mirrors went the same way...did'nt need the heaters but makes it hard to see throught them too....I went to Halfords with a template i made from card and matched them up pretty close but not perfect...they did not have any for ls400....works real good...much better in the daytime...sorry cant help on your other stuff....good luck! :blush:

I had this on my MK2 and it was because the wrong size wipers were put on, as far as I recall the 2 wipers are supposed to be different sizes. I expect some people just measure one and then buy a pair that size. Changing them is a pain though. What I did was turned on the wipers until they get in the pointing up position then turn the ignition off so they stay there.

As for your stereo code entry I had to get mine recoded when I bought it but then had to manually re-enter the code.I got the instructions off the net but not sure where (try searching this and the U.S site maybe). I'll be at home on tuesday so i'll dig the manual entry instructions out if you haven't sorted it by then. As you've got the code you could ring Lexus who should be able to help.

Good luck anyway, Adz :winky:

I had this on my MK2 and it was because the wrong size wipers were put on, as far as I recall the 2 wipers are supposed to be different sizes. I expect some people just measure one and then buy a pair that size. Changing them is a pain though. What I did was turned on the wipers until they get in the pointing up position then turn the ignition off so they stay there.

I've had the wiper trouble on both of my MK1s. Not sure if wiper size is the issue, as it's the body of the wiper (if you know what I mean) that's hitting the metal strip on the side of the windscreen. I've considered sticking little blocks of foam on to the wiper body in order to deaden the "blow", but I haven't got around to it yet.

It's a shame that the "ruthless pursuit of perfection" let something like this slip through the net, becaue it's just the type of thing that one's smart-arsed "friends" are likely to comment negaively on..."Oooh, your wiper's making such a lot of noise, and you're getting how much mpg? Doesn't happen on my Daewoo Crapmobile..."

Apologies to Daewoo owners everywhere, of course... :winky:

djp

I've had the wiper trouble on both of my MK1s. Not sure if wiper size is the issue, as it's the body of the wiper (if you know what I mean) that's hitting the metal strip on the side of the windscreen. I've considered sticking little blocks of foam on to the wiper body in order to deaden the "blow", but I haven't got around to it yet.

It's a shame that the "ruthless pursuit of perfection" let something like this slip through the net, becaue it's just the type of thing that one's smart-arsed "friends" are likely to comment negaively on..."Oooh, your wiper's making such a lot of noise, and you're getting how much mpg? Doesn't happen on my Daewoo Crapmobile..."

Apologies to Daewoo owners everywhere, of course... :winky:

djp

Adz is right about the different sizes but you can adjust the arms.

Nigel, Page 120 - 124 of the owners manual describes how to turn the SECurity feature of the Radio on, I think there are off instructions too. If you have not got one, PM your email to me and I'll scan the pages in and forward to you.

Is that easy/difficult to do? It's a really annoying noise...

djp

Any advice on how to do that would be greatly appreciated as i was reminded of that thud again yesterday many times when the heavens opened

Nigel, Page 120 - 124 of the owners manual describes how to turn the SECurity feature of the Radio on, I think there are off instructions too. If you have not got one, PM your email to me and I'll scan the pages in and forward to you.

Thanks for this - I do actually have the manual so have gone through this routine. Having talked to the garage the mechanic actually left the sidelights on for a couple of days and completely flattened the Battery. I have tried disconnecting for a couple of hours but when you turn the key to ACC, SEC appears in the radio window without having to press any buttons. If you then press 1 & 6 together then the three digit field appears. But when you input the code nothing happens!! I need to be able to get back to a blank screen ..i.e clear the radio memory completely so i can then press the tune up and 1 to get up the SEC . Also it doesn't have a counter appear for the number of attempts which i'm sure was there when i had to input the code once before.

Any further thoughts from anyone would be appreciated or it's off to Lexus Guildford and probably a big bill!!!

I think if you read the owners manual, the radio comes with no code set.  It is then the choice of the owner if he/she wishes to set one of their choice.  I'm hoping to do some work on the car tomorrow so will check on it.

Wing mirrors, how often do you really need to use the heating element.  When I was looking for an LS400 I saw a couple where the element was showing through, so I guess you are not the only one.  How about just getting a Halfords stick on mirror and just stick it onto what you have now???  It will be less than a tenner for the pair.

If you find a Mk III being broken, please let me know, I'm after some mats and indicator glasses.

Wipers, perhaps the motor mechanism has moved a bit and can be repositioned a bit to overcome the over wipe.  I imagine it is pretty anoying when it goes thud on the screen edge every wipe.

Chris, the radio display on my Mk III is 100%, I think it is more the MkI & MkII that have serious radia LCD fading problems.

Small world-I'm actually in Farnham, well Tilford but thought everyone knows Guildford so went for that option. Thanks for your advice - i've responded to you later-will let you know if I find anyone breaking a MK IIII. Cheers Nigel

Nigel, and I'm on the other side of town in Folly Hill.

Don't let the robbers at Lexus take you for a ride, have you tried the US forum? I know you need the radio, to kill the silence while driving.

Is that easy/difficult to do? It's a really annoying noise...

djp

Any advice on how to do that would be greatly appreciated as i was reminded of that thud again yesterday many times when the heavens opened

The windscreen fitter adjusted mine after fitting new screen.

As far as I remember he undone arm and reset on spline by moving clockwise slightly.

I think there could be a adjustment on the windscreen wiper motor but not 100% sure.

This is a common problem on the LS.

Mine is a mark 2.

I live in Ash so could be time for a mini meet.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Simon & all you other Lexus drivers

Sorry for being AWOL but tend to work abroad too often.

Well I've resolved the radio issue-threw the problem back at the garage and they fixed it by removing the radio fuse and one other--not sure which one but when reinserted it brought the radio up as it should be so all is resolved.

Have also got new wiper motor and workings together with a new mirror complete for my MkIII from a guy called John Hills at Swift Lexus in Sussex--really helpful guy who breaks Lexus and seems to know exactly what he has in stock. His no is 01903 856568.

5 AM]

I think if you read the owners manual, the radio comes with no code set.  It is then the choice of the owner if he/she wishes to set one of their choice.  I'm hoping to do some work on the car tomorrow so will check on it.

Wing mirrors, how often do you really need to use the heating element.  When I was looking for an LS400 I saw a couple where the element was showing through, so I guess you are not the only one.  How about just getting a Halfords stick on mirror and just stick it onto what you have now???  It will be less than a tenner for the pair.

Wipers, perhaps the motor mechanism has moved a bit and can be repositioned a bit to overcome the over wipe.  I imagine it is pretty anoying when it goes thud on the screen edge every wipe.

Small world-I'm actually in Farnham, well Tilford but thought everyone knows Guildford so went for that option. Thanks for your advice - i've responded to you later-will let you know if I find anyone breaking a MK IIII. Cheers Nigel

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links