Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

4th Set Of Warped Discs

projone7443

I have had this problem now for over a year and sick of spending cash on new discs for my Lexus IS 300.

I have just replaced front discs and also new calipers as both were not working correctly but I still have wheel judder when braking.

I have also noticed that it seems to judder at speeds between 60 to 80 and get a feeling it s now constant but I can only feel at at certain speeds..

Im taking it to Lexus tomorrow but I get the feeling they will say its cheap discs and that they want put theres on at a cost of nearly £500 including pads but the discs i have been putting on are good quality and not cheap crap.

Does anyone have any ideas as its annoying the **** out of me and I just want to get back to enjoying driving my Lexus

I have had this problem now for over a year and sick of spending cash on new discs for my Lexus IS 300.

I have just replaced front discs and also new calipers as both were not working correctly but I still have wheel judder when braking.

I have also noticed that it seems to judder at speeds between 60 to 80 and get a feeling it s now constant but I can only feel at at certain speeds..

Im taking it to Lexus tomorrow but I get the feeling they will say its cheap discs and that they want put theres on at a cost of nearly £500 including pads but the discs i have been putting on are good quality and not cheap crap.

Does anyone have any ideas as its annoying the **** out of me and I just want to get back to enjoying driving my Lexus

Thanks  :)

Not sure what make they were as they were replaced under warranty but they were purchased at kwik fit and cost £170 fitted.

The manager has been trying to solve the problem with the brake judder but he wont replace anymore as he thinks its something else thats causing the problem. The first 2 sets were fitted by Lexus but i refuse to pay silly money and then went to kwik fit as they were cheaper.

I dont really think its the discs to be honest and think its something else thats causing the problem

cant understand how they were replaced under warranty but were not OEM lexus parts :blush:

however.........mintex are good quality discs which we've sold a few with no probs...

I'd also mention that as the discs are free floating the tightening up of the wheels post fitment is crucial.

cant understand how they were replaced under warranty but were not OEM lexus parts  :blush:

however.........mintex are good quality discs which we've sold a few with no probs...

I'd also mention that as the discs are free floating the tightening up of the wheels post fitment is crucial.

My second set of discs were mintex and they also warped. Lexus will have to deal with the problem but im not replacing discs again as this set have been on 2 weeks and are brand new

cant understand how they were replaced under warranty but were not OEM lexus parts  :blush:

My second set of discs were mintex and they also warped. Lexus will have to deal with the problem but im not replacing discs again as this set have been on 2 weeks and are brand new

did a proper garage fit them ?

if so I'd check the ball joints :winky:

There are various things in the suspension system on the front end that can cause wheel wobble feelings. Usually it is just bad balance 60-80mph is the front end 90-110mph is the back end. That said J-spec brakes aren't great and they warp discs alot in the supra world. No reason to beleive they are any different in the lexus world as they are the same calipers and discs. The supra UK spec brakes don't warp as quickly or easily but still have similar problems. Replacing the OEM discs with the likes of brembo grooved or even black diamond or *** forbid EBC will improve matters.

Discs can be warped in one motorway trip if you drive in a certain way. If you are hard on brakes ie hammer it down from high speeds, and then sit with your foot on the brake pedal rather than putting the handbrake on all the heat you pushed into the pads sits in the brake pad contact area and soaks back into the disc. At the same time the rest of the disc is cooling down. This causes hot spots which the J-spec brakes are prone to and will warp. Its especially prevalent on auto's where most can't hold it on the clutch so will hold the car on the brakes.

If the car returns to normal without wobbling after new discs are fitted and then goes wobbly again later then I would say its the discs. If however new discs don't fix the problem start looking at ball joints steering links wheel bearings wheel balance etc

Just been to Lexus and they have told me they think its the bearings on the front passenger side of is 300. Now this is the problem they cant gaurantee that its the bearings and going throught a process of illimination.

This is fine but they want to charge me £500 to do this and even then i might have the same problem.

Any suggestions

They also want skim discs and do tracking but even then what if this does not salve the problem. I dont mind paying the cash as long as it sorts the problem.

I do however begrudge paying the money out and going back a week later with the same problem.

Surely if I take my car in they should be able to tell me whats wrong with it rather than guess work.

I could end up paying **** loads of cash and was hoping to order a new Lexus is 250 rather than spend it all on my is 300

What you need is someone you can swap some discs with temporarily. someone on here must have an EPC disc that you can price up the bearings using. A mate of mine gets around 20% discount with toyota so he may be able to get the parts for you cheaper if its got a toyota equivelant number. I'd get an independent garage to do the work as well. The discs if warped I'm not sure I'd skim them to be honest just my opinion.

Projone - do yourself a favour and go an see either Tony Bones (in Watford) or a bit closer to you at Drury Lane in Manchester.

Going to Mr T will only cost you mucho dinaro and probably not the optimum result!

Thanks Mr M for the intro, but i aggree somthing stinks here

'Projone'

Has anyone checked the drive flange to see if it is warped.

Is the car an auto.

The bearing side of things without noise is pants.

The geometry advice from Lexus follows down the same road.

on the good side we are LOC :D

Drury lane have extended themselves for LOC: Address. go to wheels-inmotion.co.uk then trusted centres.

Prolex also have offerd solid advice here, remember this, Lexus dont make cars, they assemble them, aftermarket parts within reason will do the same job so dont be to shy.

I get the feeling that the problem cannot be the disks or the pads, for sure the outcome is the disks but not the cause.

Projone, let me know if you find the cause, as i am on my 4th set of discs.. with the same problem, have used OEM Discs, DBA Gold, EBCx2 sets, and now on mintex, but no one can find the cause, calipers are fine, stripped n cleaned, ball jointsx2 replaced..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links