Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aggression In The Workplace

Can't go into too many specifics this week but a guy at the workplace ( large open plan office ) twice this week has flipped, once with a female and once with me. I can only descibe it as aggressive behaviour, shouting, swearing and bad body language. All uncalled for. It was both theatening and frightening.

Management have been made aware and from conversations today it seems he has accused both of us of ( yet undefined ) offences aginst him which is just lies.

They are going to diddley squat about it ( nothing ). So far complaints against him have been verbal and probably considered informal. I have had no chance to comment on any allegations against me - but he has obviously done this to protect his job.

I am a contractor with only a short time left at the site. What should I do ? Bite my toungue and my email finger or make a formal written complaint?

Can't go into too many specifics this week but a guy at the workplace ( large open plan office ) twice this week has flipped, once with a female and once with me. I can only descibe it as aggressive behaviour, shouting, swearing and bad body language. All uncalled for. It was both theatening and frightening.

Management have been made aware and from conversations today it seems he has accused both of us of ( yet undefined ) offences aginst him which is just lies.

They are going to diddley squat about it ( nothing ). So far complaints against him have been verbal and probably considered informal. I have had no chance to comment on any allegations against me - but he has obviously done this to protect his job.

I am a contractor with only a short time left at the site. What should I do ? Bite my toungue and my email finger or make a formal written complaint?

Dont stand for it steve, Formal written complaint, who knows when he will do it again, and to who ?

Formal complaint delivered as you are leaving the site for the last time, along the lines of "take that you b*****d".

Is the female staff or contract? It is actually irrelevant anyway but manager's tend to listen more to staff employees....plus there is a "female" factor which should hold some sway.

If you are having no progress with your line manager so far I would speak to the female employee and make a joint effort. If nothing comes of this approach you'll need to make a formal written complaint.

My old secretary was somewhat unstable to say the least (manic depressive) but to the big boss's she was sunshine on a rainy day, and consequently they didn't believe what I was saying.

After one flip too many, we (me & other underlings) started to compile a day to day diary of what she was doing & how she was acting.

After a couple of weeks I had a meeting with the boss & handed over the diary along with a few other bits added by others from H/O who had also witnessed outbursts and lies.

Needless to say, with all the evidence in front of them they had to take action.

So....my suggestion would be for you & your workmate to write down everything that happens (date, time, place etc) & present it.......if that doesn't do the trick....

Follow Brettsters advice :duh:

Cheers for the comments people. Female is contract to so can't go the employee route. Was witnessed by others though. Can't "sort" it myslef as "previous" is involved with him outside work. Some good suggestions though, deffo going to go formal on my last day :) Also thinking of saying something in the meeting we have tomorrow morning which I think will be to try and team build and mend some bridges. Thinking of asking th one manager "so if you are asking us to sort things out and work better together why have you swept this weeks events under the carpet". That shoud get an answer with 10 people in the room.

if i were in your situation steve i would hit him in his throat with my hand lay open in a cutting/sweeping position. this gives 2 options. 1 you can run like f---- cos you're scared or 2. stand and watch the big bully lay there about gasping for breath for 10 minutes with a look of sheer panic on his face - i always go for option 2 - works every time.

The only problem with gandolf's idea is that if you do that and hit too hard, his windpipe will swell and basically choke him to death. The only way to stop his death is to take a pen apart and stab him in the windpipe te enable breathing (know this due to 11 years of martial arts)

The only problem with gandolf's idea is that if you do that and hit too hard, his windpipe will swell and basically choke him to death. The only way to stop his death is to take a pen apart and stab him in the windpipe te enable breathing (know this due to 11 years of martial arts)

Then you will obviously not kill the person, with your lack of understanding of the English language........ :lol:

...and watch the big bully lay there breathing through a biro with a look of sheer panic on his face

The guy obviously has a temper/anger management problem.

You are in a difficult position, although you may be able to get him reprimanded, possibly even dismissed if it's bad enough, but will that change his ways?

Can you see him out of work, by himself?

He needs to know that he can't get away with it. If it isn't anger that's causing it then he is just a bully. I hate bullies.

You MUST put in a formal written complaint. If it does kick off you can prove you had made your company aware of the problem.

1 copy to company via registered post & 1 copy hand delivered to HR.

1 copy to the meathead - helps focus their mind

1 copy in sealed envelope delivered to yourself by registered post to prove you sent the original complaint.

Additionally ask him to put his complaints about you in writing too - I suspect he won't be willing to.

Also if it were me I'd approach the idiot when he has calmed down and tell him that he is out of order and should start acting like a human being and not a ***.

i agree with some of the more 'sensible' options already offered, we all know an 'active' type of response would be a bad move don't we?! :whistling:

the guy has obviously got some serious issues of his own that he needs to face & take responsibility for - & ultimately do something to change how he feels & expresses himself. but that's his, & not YOUR responsibility.

personally, i'd just tread carefully & as calmly & politely as possible state..."there is no need to talk to me in that way...", (which i've done in the past & worked - even got an apology once he'd calmed down a bit) "i feel you're behaving very agressively towards me/colleagues & i think it's best we take a few moments break from what we're doing" etc etc you know the sort of thing...

definitely go thru with an official complaint with a manager. it must be difficult knowing you're not there for much longer, but other people will be...

above all - whatever you do - keep calm & stick to the facts,

good luck & let us know how you get on,

Abbie

:)

Some interesting solutions there:)

I didn't sleep last night, I lay awake feeling it was me at fault :( Had the meeting today and as it was nearing completition I said something to the effect of "so if you are asking us to sort things out and work better together why have you swept this weeks events under the carpet" to the manager. Well that really got the meeting going.In the end those that had been present at the events this week stayed to discuss, some interesting things came out. Confirmation that I wasn't involved in the first one then a case of twisting the words to his advantage for the first occasion to which I supported the victim. Then tried to get something out of the manager but he said nothing had been said to him about me. I wasn't happy with that so asked him why he had referred to swearing the previous day .... he then agreed that had been said against me and I denied it catagorically.

I then turned to the guy in question and asked him if he had emailed, spoken to or phoned anybody on Wednesday reference me. He changed the subject and I asked again. No response. I then asked the manager to ask him - no response. He then started talking about something else and I declared off topic and was supported by line mangager who then told him what she thought. This eventually brought a half hearted apology from him to the two of us victims. Not said as though he meant it and followed up by I'm not apologising for anything else. WTF ? I asked him what he wasn't apologising for and again no real answer. After asking a couple more times about who he had contacted and what he had complained about meeting was disbanded. At one point I had stood up and said to the manager well if you don't believe I will leave the job now ( only 6 working days to go ). Seemed to get his support then.

A few more one on ones later in the day for the manager with the aggressor and then myself at which he was still refusing to reveal. I told the manager that it was obvious there was something said against me and I would have no alternative but to make a formal grievance if this was not brought to conclusion as I required the right to respond. At the final meeting the guy had said nothing was said to anybody. I suspect he has removed any email trail both ends.

So over the weekend I will be writing a formal complaint about misconduct and suspected allegations aginst me and we'll see what Monday brings.

So that's where it is. One question for techies does email keep log of emails sent even if they have been deleted that an administrator can see on a server somewhere?

One question for techies does email keep log of emails sent even if they have been deleted that an administrator can see on a server somewhere?

Email transmission (from:/to: & date header) is usually logged for some time, the content of the e-mails is generally not stored (may not even be allowed, not sure about UK privacy laws). You'll have to ask their system admin though, as they know or have set up the e-mail systems.

I think you've done well, success with the complaint.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

So that's where it is. One question for techies does email keep log of emails sent even if they have been deleted that an administrator can see on a server somewhere?

Yes they are. Information Retention (including email) policies are becoming common practice at most organisations due to pressures from regulators. Your IT department will retain ALL emails for a minimum of 30 days (usually a lot longer) I would anticipate (primarily for legal purposes).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links