Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best Bang For Buck Mods

jasestu

Okay, this could be fun and useful (for me anyway!). List what you'd consider to be the best single mod in each of the following price brackets (assume the car is stock before you select a mod). Mod can be anything, power, handling, aesthetics etc. We're talking and RS200 Altezza here of course. :)

• Free!
  • Under $50
  • Under $250
  • Under $500
  • Under $1000
  • Under $2000
  • $2000 and over

Errm, what currency works best? Shall we call it USD? Can redesign the categories if something else seems more logical...

[*]Free! - nothin .. theres no such thing as free lunch!

[*]Under $50 - K&N air filter

[*]Under $250 - HID / TM Rev spark ignition upgrade

[*]Under $500 - Toyota Final Drive Gear upgrade

[*]Under $1000 - ARB + chassis brace TRD whole set

[*]Under $2000 - TEIN RA or HKS Hipermax LS+ coilovers

[*]$2000 and over - Turbo

i was basing my choices using HKD converted to USD... so i guess u guys "might" think im crazy or somethin! hehe

free: removal of shield behind front grill

-£50 : air filter

-£250 : anti roll bars / induction/decat

-£500 : cat back exhaust

-£1000 : coilovers

-£2000 : supercharger

+£2000 : turbo / engine transplant

i dont understand that funny sign....$.... ;)

it stands for stupid :hehe:

This isn't working as well as I thought - I was sure that more people would be opinionated enough that they'd want to tell us what mods should be done for which price bracket! Monster-Mat in particular! ;)

would really help if it was posted in british sterling , as we can relate to it

and i guess you meant for IS200`s as well

Okay, this could be fun and useful (for me anyway!). List what you'd consider to be the best single mod in each of the following price brackets (assume the car is stock before you select a mod). Mod can be anything, power, handling, aesthetics etc. We're talking and RS200 Altezza here of course. :)
  • Free!
  • Under $50
  • Under $250
  • Under $500
  • Under $1000
  • Under $2000
  • $2000 and over

Errm, what currency works best? Shall we call it USD? Can redesign the categories if something else seems more logical...

Free: Remove Spare Wheels, jack and tool kit from Trunk. 20 kg weight reduction at no cost!! :P

Under $50: Blitz Gear Knob

Under $250: Open Pod Air Filter

Under $500: 5.1 Final Drive

Under $1000: Toda Cams or Power FC

Under $2000: Cusco Zero 2 or Endless 4 pot Calipers kit

Under $3000: Toda 2.2 stroker kit or TRD 1st + 3rd + final drive kit

Under $4000: GReddy Turbo Kit

Under $8000: BLITZ Turbo System 420 PS!!!

Hmm, let's see if I can give my own list a go...

Free!

- remove that plug that closes the flap on the RS200 front intake at less than 4750 rpm.

Under $100

- this is well under $100, but I reckon is a good 'bang' - caliper painting and labels. Tidys up a part of the car that is left 'raw' from factory but is well exposed by the factory wheels.

Under $250

- Rear sway perhaps? (Or is 250 enough to do front and back?)

Under $500

- TRD short shifter. Done it, love it

Under $1000

- Dunno

Under $2000

- Dunno

$2000 and over

- Hmmm, quad throttle bodies sound like fun, probably not the most bang for your buck though...

Sorry.. :offtopic:

- remove that plug that closes the flap on the RS200 front intake at less than 4750 rpm.

Someone explain this for me..........why is it there in the first place and what way does the car respond afterwards....

cheers

My own plans.......

< €1000 Induction kit & Cat back exhaust

Someone explain this for me..........why is it there in the first place and what way does the car respond afterwards....

cheers

The Flap allows extra air into the engine above 4750 rpm.

It is closed below this as the extra air is not required.

Disabling it will have no positive affect on performance (may even slow air intake velocity @ low rpm)

It will make it sound a little louder though!

I recon if toyota spent so much on such a complicated intake system it is best left alone as I doubt you will improve performance over the entire rev range by altering it.

The Flap allows extra air into the engine above 4750 rpm.

It is closed below this as the extra air is not required.

Disabling it will have no positive affect on performance (may even slow air intake velocity @ low rpm)

It will make it sound a little louder though!

I recon if toyota spent so much on such a complicated intake system it is best left alone as I doubt you will improve performance over the entire rev range by altering it.

No negative effect on velocity - it's upstream the convoluted & baffled filter housing - any increased velocity up to this point would be wasted.

When Toyota 'spent so much on such a complicated intake system' they weren't simply working toward a performance goal, they also had to consider emissions regulations and what some buyers would consider 'noise' (others call it the melody of the engine).

Another upside of disabling the flap is that you make better use of filtration area. The air is fed more evenly to the filter, instead of coming in via the pipe from the front right guard. After a few thousand km with the flap enabled you'll see a distinct grey circular area on the filter where all the air is going - blocking up a section of the filter while the other 75% remains comparatively unused.

Anyway, back on topic. For the 1000 - 2000 price bracket I'd probably recommend a lightened flywheel...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links