Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

News Is250 Se-l Auto Mm Problems

Hi

Picked up my new Silver IS250 SE-L Auto with MM last Saturday from Lexus Tunbridge Wells.

This is my first Lexus. So far impressed with it except that I have a few issues.

1) Ticking Noise from Engine. Not noticeable inside the car but very noticable outside the car when idling. Is this normal?

2) Cruise Control: Pushing in the Minus direction once speed is set does not seem to slow the car down yet the + direction does speed the car up.

3) On the drivers side there is a gap between the MM console and the dash and when I rest my leg against the console (The Silver Strip) where the Auto Gearstick is it clicks and moves slightly. The other side is tight.

It seems like It has not been put together properly. Will Lexus be able to fix this without damaging anything else?

I'm a bit concerned at having three issues with it from new. I haven't heard many other people complaining

Hi, nice car you've got there! :D

Not too sure about the first problem, although my IS200 ticks for a while once the engine has been switched off (never been outside the car when its idling)

The cruise control problem, is simply that if its the same as the old IS, the minus button is a "coast" switch, therefore, it cuts drive, but won't brake. The car will slow down depending on the gradient of the road, so will not slow down if you're going downhill (I think that's correct)

Any problems with the trim I'm sure your dealer can fix, its unlikely that they'll damage anything else, but obviously accidents can happen, just make sure if it does that you get them to fix that as well :whistling:

Arkanoid, welcome to the club. I too have a silver SE-L Auto with MM. Not noticed any ticking from the engine.

The cruise control does slow the car down but I find I need to hold it down for a few seconds before it starts to slow.

I too had a "clicking" noise from the console, although it didn't move but it only seemed to happen when the car was first started and it was cold and to be honest it has now completely stopped.

I hope these minor points don't spoil your enjoyment of what is a great car. You could always speak to your dealer and get them to resolve any thing you are not happy about.

Arkanoid, welcome to the club. I too have a silver SE-L Auto with MM. Not noticed any ticking from the engine.

The cruise control does slow the car down but I find I need to hold it down for a few seconds before it starts to slow.

I too had a "clicking" noise from the console, although it didn't move but it only seemed to happen when the car was first started and it was cold and to be honest it has now completely stopped.

I hope these minor points don't spoil your enjoyment of what is a great car. You could always speak to your dealer and get them to resolve any thing you are not happy about.

I never had Cruise on any of my cars previosuly, but I was playng with the Hire car last week (Mazda 6 - very nice BTW but too platsicky for my liking).

It stated on the button "Coast", and that's what it did, it merely decelarated the car by coasting for as long as the button is held down...so I assume it does the same, and if you're going down hill, it will take longer...try it up hill!

Possibly that is the way it is supposed to work.

I was just comparing to a car I owned 5 years ago that would noticably decelerate as soon as you pressed the speed down control.

I have since contacted the dealer and am waiting for a call back.

This ticking noise is more a constant rythmic light tapping sound in time with the engine revs.

(ie tap tap tap tap tap tap tap : p), not sure if this is the way the engine sounds. Can't remember what the test drive car sounded like.

I was just comparing to a car I owned 5 years ago that would noticably decelerate as soon as you pressed the speed down control.

This ticking noise is more a constant rythmic light tapping sound in time with the engine revs.

(ie tap tap tap tap tap tap tap : p), not sure if this is the way the engine sounds. Can't remember what the test drive car sounded like.

Check they haven't put the diesel under the bonnet :D

Check they haven't put the diesel under the bonnet :D

...and if you see a clock or anything with TNT or ACME written on it, stand well back!

Sorry Arkanoid - you'll get used to the bad sense of humour on these forums

PS Arkanoid was my most favouritst game on my Commodore 64!!

My IS300 manual has a detailed section on cruise control operation which explains all. I suspect your's will too.

The 300 works like Jamboo says the Maxda does. If I just hold the "coast" lever down till I've reached my prefered speed then let go, it settles down to the new speed. However, if I'm within 3 mph of the preset cruise speed, each 1 second touch of the lever will reduce cruise speed by 1 mph. Same for the + lever.

My guess is the new IS will be the same....?

IanB :D

Got in this morning to find the Front Windsheild de-icer didn't work.

So far I'm not very impressed.

I bought Lexus because of the so called reliability.

1 week old car numerous issues already. Where's the quality control

I did not think the windshield de-icer was like the Ford system (i.e. does not have small elements in the screen), but is like the Audi one - i.e. changes Vents to screen and put's on warmer air, aircon and high speed on the fan...

Or does the switch just not do anything?

If that's the case it'll take ages...but the Audi had an electric air heater to supplement cold coolant temperature (don't believe Lex has this). It never worked...the temp of the coolant had to be minus 40,000 Kelvin or something ridiculous!

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I did not think the windshield de-icer was like the Ford system (i.e. does not have small elements in the screen), but is like the Audi one - i.e. changes Vents to screen and put's on warmer air, aircon and high speed on the fan...

Or does the switch just not do anything?

If that's the case it'll take ages...but the Audi had an electric air heater to supplement cold coolant temperature (don't believe Lex has this). It never worked...the temp of the coolant had to be minus 40,000 Kelvin or something ridiculous!

Correct me if I'm wrong...

My IS250 ticks at idle too, it's normal.

The windcreen de-icer button down to the right of the steering column turns on heating elements along the bottom of the windscreen - it's primarily designed to unfreeze your wipers from the screen. The windcreen defrost button on the console directs all air up the inside of the screen for quicker clearing.

Yes, the IS300 is the same. I normally have to leave the engine running for up to 10 minutes using the blower system, to get the screen de-iced. Alternatively I get the scraper out, but then on really cold mornings I still then have to wait for 5 minutes to get the mist off the inside of the screen.

My wife's Focus however defrosts completely in less than 2 minutes.

Now why couldn't Lexus have done that....?

IanB :blink:

Thanks guys. Feeling a little more reassured now. :duh: Especially re the ticking noise.

I must say I didn't remember reading anything about a front windscreen deicer but when I had the handover the dealer told me to be careful as it gets very hot and it would clear my winscreen in a matter of seconds.

Maybe they got it wrong.

Yes, the IS300 is the same. I normally have to leave the engine running for up to 10 minutes using the blower system, to get the screen de-iced. Alternatively I get the scraper out, but then on really cold mornings I still then have to wait for 5 minutes to get the mist off the inside of the screen.

Ford have a worldwide patent on front screen demist.

Ford have a worldwide patent on front screen demist.

Hmm! Very smart of Henry Ford. Pity though as it's such a good system.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links