Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does Voltmeter Indicate I Need A New Battery

TudorDoc

My IS200 is 6 years old. I noticed recently that the car was sluggish on starting on cold mornings. Also the headlight intensity increased when I revved the engine! I went away for a week and on my return the Battery was flat. I have charged it up and now the cars starts ok. The voltmeter reads around 15v most of the time. Do I need a new Battery or should I get the alternator checked?

Thanks

Tudordoc

My IS200 is 6 years old. I noticed recently that the car was sluggish on starting on cold mornings. Also the headlight intensity increased when I revved the engine! I went away for a week and on my return the battery was flat. I have charged it up and now the cars starts ok. The voltmeter reads around 15v most of the time. Do I need a new battery or should I get the alternator checked?

Thanks

Tudordoc

Get the Battery tested 1st, any car acc/shop should be able to do this for you, and most dont charge you :D (thats not a joke :) )

If your voltsmeter reads around 15v then this look like your alternator is ok :D

just take it to Halfords and get them to check it for you, thats what i did, Im guessing your car is a 99/2000 car like mine so its prob just time for a new battery. think i paid £55 fitted for the battery from Halfords which has a 4 year warrenty

Thanks

I phoned Halfords who listed two batteries, one of which is "heavy duty" but not in stock. Do I need the "heavy duty" one

TudorDoc

I phoned Halfords who listed two batteries, one of which is "heavy duty" but not in stock. Do I need the "heavy duty" one

TudorDoc

It's always better to go for heavy duty which lasts heaps longer.

Also the headlight intensity increased when I revved the engine!

They all do that a little bit due to the small capacity Battery fitted as standard however it does sound like your Battery needs replacing. If it's the original Battery then I would certainly get a new one.

voltage reading means nothing; what you need is someone with dedicated power meter (Amps are what you need not voltage) and only specialized device can measure that or regular multi-meter device but again only when you are starting the engine

voltage reading means nothing; what you need is someone with dedicated power meter (Amps are what you need not voltage) and only specialized device can measure that or regular multi-meter device but again only when you are starting the engine

V = IR, ie. current is directly proportional to voltage. Hence if the voltage reading is dropping so as the current. If the voltage reading maintains above 13.2 volts while the engine is running, your alternator is still in good condition. Try to observe if you can see any voltage drop while driving. If you drive the car daily and the reading drops below 9 volts while turning the ignition key then your Battery is dying.

Agree you need to measure the voltage under load e.g. when using the starter motor which is the biggest load (amps).

edit: In the above formula I is current, R is resistance which will be constant under starting conditions.

Cost of a battery from Lexus including labour and all £110. BAttery is 60aH

Cost of regular 40aHr battery from Halfords £55

Boasch battery from Costco 60aH £36 incl VAt

Conclusion, bought battery from Costco!

Thanks for the advice

TudorDoc

I am going to get a Battery next week my self, was thinking about popping over to Costco, now will definately.

Can you tell me though, when changing the Battery is there any code that is lost in the stereo as I did not get an owners manual with my car, i realise the presets will go but I am worried about the code....

Cost of a battery from Lexus including labour and all £110. BAttery is 60aH

Cost of regular 40aHr battery from Halfords £55

Boasch battery from Costco 60aH £36 incl VAt

Conclusion, bought battery from Costco!

Thanks for the advice

TudorDoc

I am going to get a Battery next week my self, was thinking about popping over to Costco, now will definately.

Can you tell me though, when changing the Battery is there any code that is lost in the stereo as I did not get an owners manual with my car, i realise the presets will go but I am worried about the code....

I did not have a power pack. The radio lost its presets but did not need a code putting in.

When you go to Costco the Battery for the IS200 is not listed under Lexus. You need the 6DA which has the Lexus IS200 listed on the lable under Toyota!!

You need 10mm spanner as well

TudorDoc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links