Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi,

I have a problem with a musty smell coming from the aircon on my late model GS430. It originally occured just on start-up and disappeared within 5 minutes or so. It still does this, but sometimes seems to hang around for longer. Bizarrely, it seems to worsen where I am on a journey with a lot of hard acceleration - effectively if I rev a lot through the range.

I did raise it when I bought the car (at 7.5K miles) and I know that the dealer has treated the car at least once with an anti-bacteria pack.

I'm taking it back again tomorrow, but if it can't be fixed with the treatment, what other options are there? Replacement evaporator?

I've never had such a problem before in over 200K miles of mk1 and mk2 GS models. I always leave the climate on auto recirculate or external air and typically between 18 - 21 degrees c in the winter.

Any tips / observations would be much appreciated or comments from anyone else who has had a similiar problem with the new model.

Best regards,

Marcus.

It may be caused by mildew in the evaporator. I had same problem on LS 430 and solved it with anti-bacterial spray (febreeze).

put A/C on max, exit car and close all doors and windows and then locate intake vents (under wiper arms). Spray the anti-bacterial into the vents for 30 seconds and leave A/C running for 5 minutes.

This got rid of the smell for me - good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all.

The car had repeat anti-bacterial treatment again on 27/02. (Scott's aircon purge - which was the same as it had on the 18/01). This time the dealer said they kept the car running and the treatment recirculating for 2 hours.

Ten days later and the smell has returned. I have checked the filter in the glovebox, it is bone dry and clean.

The dealer said that the next step is to re-gas the system and replace the "filters". I can't see how this will improve things.

What do you guys think of the suggestion? Worse case, how can I get rid of it? Replace the condensor?

Cheers,

Marcus.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links