Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Knocking Noise

sunrise

hi guys i am new here

i bought a is200 last year it was all fine, but now there is strange noise from beneath the front part of the car. i have taken the car to the lexus centre but nothing wrong was found. the noise only there, when i drive it slow at parking speed and if i turn the streering wheel then.

thank you guys :lol:

lo m8 could be a number of thing mine has same problem due to go into lexus newcastle next week

Could be ball joints

Shocks

also do a search there is lots of informationabout knocking noises from is m8

When I had the same problem on my IS, dealer replaced the shims and added some copper grease to the back of the pads. This sorted the problem as the knocking was caused by the pads moving slightly in the caliper.

Ball joints are also a known weak point on the IS which can also lead to a knocking noise like you describe.

yep...the horrible world of 'pad slap', sounds horrible doesn't it...make sure the tension springs that hold the pads in the caliper are really tight when the new pads are fitted!....Oh and a good helping of copper slip as well!

• 1 year later...
hi guys i am new here

i bought a is200 last year it was all fine, but now there is strange noise from beneath the front part of the car. i have taken the car to the lexus centre but nothing wrong was found. the noise only there, when i drive it slow at parking speed and if i turn the streering wheel then.

thank you guys :lol:

Hi , I have a similar problem, when I drive slow while braking and slightly turning the steering wheel, there would be a creaking noise. Were you able to resolve your problem. If so, can you tell me what you did to fix the problem. Thank you

Hi I am new at this. But I bought my IS200 in Feb and the knocking noise started from the front a couple of months later. Took it to my local garage/mate he diagnosed the pin that holds the floating part of the caliper in place. The noise is a metalic clunking sound when you first touch the breaks and going over a bump in the road. He didn't fit the pin but said it was the calipers, I thought it was the caliper springs as I had a similar problem on a Ford years ago. Anyway the calipers didn't change it, so they were returned and the originals fitted (as they were expensive...). However the noise stopped for a few days and I asked what he had done, just plenty of grease was the answer. I then decided on disc and pads, no difference, I then fitted new caliper springs (small ones that hold pads apart) nothing... Going on a bit now, anyway after reading a forum reply from 2003 it apears that a special grease (white in colour) from Toyota/Lexus is needed on the mating faces of the caliper pistons and pads and lugs that the pads are held in by. This is my next fix at the weekend, I will post the results. The reason for this long reply, is hold on spending anymore money, as I already have... it may just be the grease......

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, after all my attempts to solve the knocking noise. I bought some Toyota Caliper Grease. Thick sticky white toothpaste like stuff.. very expensive but solved the problem. Apply to pads like copper grease, make pads are clean from other grease though.. good luck

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links