Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Standard Stereo On New Is, Any Good?

Hi,

Am close to putting in my order for new IS250 Sport

Just wanted to check what the standard stereo is like from people who own one.

I don't use sat-nav that often and I have a Tomtom for the rare occasions I do, so can't really justify the MM upgrade.

Is the standard stereo any, good? I mean 13 speakers sounds OK to me?

Your honest opinon would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Roonaldo,

Don't know about the standard stereo but as well as the brilliant ML stereo you also get the following with MM:

* Bluetooth phone connection with phone book, speed dial, voice dialing, dial/answer from steering wheel.

* Rear park camera.

* Top of the range Sat Nav with traffic avoidance (tmc).

* Ability to play DVDs when parked up.

* Six disc DVD changer.

* Touch screen controls for all audio functions, air conditioning, sat nav, phone, calendar etc

* Voice activation of most functions.

In my opinion the MM is well worth the extra.

Roonaldo,

Don't know about the standard stereo but as well as the brilliant ML stereo you also get the following with MM:

* Bluetooth phone connection with phone book, speed dial, voice dialing, dial/answer from steering wheel.

* Rear park camera.

* Top of the range Sat Nav with traffic avoidance (tmc).

* Ability to play DVDs when parked up.

* Six disc DVD changer.

* Touch screen controls for all audio functions, air conditioning, sat nav, phone, calendar etc

* Voice activation of most functions.

In my opinion the MM is well worth the extra.

Cheers but TBH, I still can't justify the extra price.

I'm not too bothered about the Bluetooth phone, rear parking sensors are adequate for me, I can't see the point of being able to watch DVD's when parked? I only watch DVD's occasionally at home let alone when parked...and voice activation doesn't bother me.

Each to their own, but its not for me, for the price.

Anybody with the standard stereo who can let me know the quality?

The standard stereo is of excellent quality. I have not heard anything as good as this in a car before.

I had a passenger the other day who thought I was mad for spending so much money on a car (30% more expensive here in Ireland than in UK remember!). The stero was on very low and she said "Ooohh, I love that". I said "Yeah, it's a great album" (Bruce Springsteen's 'The Rising'), to which she responded "No, the sound! Turn it up!!".

In fact, it wasn't the album itself I had in the car, but an MP3 on CD at 192kbits. I have all my favourite albums on MP3 now, so haven't even played a real CD in the car yet.

The standard stereo is of excellent quality. I have not heard anything as good as this in a car before.

I had a passenger the other day who thought I was mad for spending so much money on a car (30% more expensive here in Ireland than in UK remember!). The stero was on very low and she said "Ooohh, I love that". I said "Yeah, it's a great album" (Bruce Springsteen's 'The Rising'), to which she responded "No, the sound! Turn it up!!".

In fact, it wasn't the album itself I had in the car, but an MP3 on CD at 192kbits. I have all my favourite albums on MP3 now, so haven't even played a real CD in the car yet.

Cheers thats good to know. I'm no audophile but expect a certain quality.

I too have all my CD's ripped to mp3 at 192kbps so its good that sound is still good :winky:

Roonaldo. I have the ML system in my Sports and it has been written in many a press release as the BEST car sound system ever put into a car.

Having said that, the press on the standard system has also been great. The Lexus developer in charge of it is an Audiophile and he wanted the same standard as he had in his home. So, I believe, it is based on a Pioneer system, built specially for Lexus and the new IS series.

When you think about it - the same price as the ML system will get you a kick-axx surround sound system for your living room!

It won't buy you a Mark Levinson surround system for your living room, though. :D

Sometime you're bored, have a look at the price of Levinson amps (like the No. 33 for example!) The MM in the IS is the cheapest ML system you'll ever own. That's not to say it's worth it, though. I have no idea.

Si

When you think about it - the same price as the ML system will get you a kick-axx surround sound system for your living room!

It won't buy you a Mark Levinson surround system for your living room, though. :D

Sometime you're bored, have a look at the price of Levinson amps (like the No. 33 for example!) The MM in the IS is the cheapest ML system you'll ever own. That's not to say it's worth it, though. I have no idea.

Si

If you like your music then the MM is well worth it for the ML alone.

I tried both of them pretty extensively before ordering my IS. Actually, I first ordered it with the ML, but then changed my mind since I really did not hear that much of a difference.

I do not doubt that the ML sounds better than the Pioneer, but for me (and yes I like music very much) the difference was not big enough to justify the cost.

The standard stereo is great in my opinion.

Same story with me. Standard setup has good sound quality, plenty of low end oommpph to make your rear view mirror vibrate when turned up nice and loud ! Stays distortion free too.

I couldn't justify the c£3000 for the upgrade, although rear parking assistance would have been nice. Don't see the point of playing DVD's when stationary...have a TV in the house for that.

B)-->

QUOTE(Carlos B @ Apr 4 2006, 08:21 PM)

Same story with me. Standard setup has good sound quality, plenty of low end oommpph to make your rear view mirror vibrate when turned up nice and loud ! Stays distortion free too.

I couldn't justify the c£3000 for the upgrade, although rear parking assistance would have been nice. Don't see the point of playing DVD's when stationary...have a TV in the house for that.

I ordered the ICE pack which is €4,000 over here because the kids broke my heart for it. However knowing that I am going to spend 90% of the time in the car on my own I waited for an moment when the wifes mind was elsewhere and switched to the MM. However as someone who knows very little about computers and even less about burning, Media players IPODS, Zen's et al I am now terrified that I will find very little in common with this piece of machinery. What's a Bluetooth telephone?

Hi,

Am close to putting in my order for new IS250 Sport

Just wanted to check what the standard stereo is like from people who own one.

I don't use sat-nav that often and I have a Tomtom for the rare occasions I do, so can't really justify the MM upgrade.

Is the standard stereo any, good? I mean 13 speakers sounds OK to me?

Your honest opinon would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Roonaldo,

I have a loaner IS250 SE with the standard sound system at the moment as my IS250 SE-L with MM/ML is with the Dealer for rectificaton of its wind noise problem.

To be honest there doesn't appear to be (to me anyway) a lot of difference at normal volume between the two sound systems with radio, iPod or CD.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links