Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Broken

Mr Singh

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But to remove the head aren't the bolts under the camshafts?

I guess i need to take rocker cover off and have closer look again

Never seen the altezza head, but on other cars you can take the head off without removing the camshafts :D

I got my cambelt from Chris. S, whole lot cheaper and I am sure quicker, not unless you really looooooove Purple.

TAFKAP :D

how long did it take to arrive and how much it cost you, if u don't mind me asking :)

I will use all stock parts, don't see point of spending £130+ for a purple belt.

Will be breaking head off on Friday, hopefully its just couple of valves :unsure:

Will keep you all posted

:)

I am planning to change my cambelt by end of next month and I just been qouted £ 26.70 for Cambelt which has to be ordered from japan, Call Japarts on 08450 66 44 22.

I asked for tensioner bully and I was qouted 3 different prices

tensioner bully for £ 37.76

Main tensioner bully for £ 75

last tensioner for £ 44.45

Can anyone confirm If I need to replace all three or just replace the main one?

MacRS200 changed his while back, not sure if he changed his tensioner?

Either way thats alot of money for a cambelt change on parts (£183.91!!!)

Didn't actually do it myself as I did not have time, got a local garage that I use a lot and trust. Asked them to check the tensioner and they reckoned it was OK so just had the belt done.

Can't remember what the belt cost but it was not too costly, paid for it at the same time as a new front fog light. Total for both was £178.50 inc VAT and postage. Took a couple of days to arrive.

PM Chris.S and he will give you a price.

Reckon you got at least on bent valve in there Am so if I were you I would be more worried about sourcing new valve/s. They are titanium so I would imagine they are special order. Either way I don't think the head will be straight back on Tomorrow.

@ mus26c, why does it have to come from Japan, AFAIK it is a standard Toyota part. Like I said above mine only took a couple of days to arrive.

Reckon you got at least on bent valve in there Am so if I were you I would be more worried about sourcing new valve/s. They are titanium so I would imagine they are special order. Either way I don't think the head will be straight back on Tomorrow.

lol i didn't say the head would be back on tomorrow, did i?

Been told the valves around £30 each +vat from Fensport.

Were going to set the timing up before we crack the head off... no harm in trying

@ mus26c, why does it have to come from Japan, AFAIK it is a standard Toyota part. Like I said above mine only took a couple of days to arrive.

you correct mate, I got a phone call from them at 5:30 pm and asked me to collect it on Saterday morning. :D

lol i didn't say the head would be back on tomorrow, did i?

Been told the valves around £30 each +vat from Fensport.

That's good news mate and a piece of info I hope never to need :crybaby:

Were going to set the timing up before we crack the head off... no harm in trying

The lack of compression on #4 says bent valve, and you may get her to fire up literally. If it is the inlet I would worry about having the whole lot "blow back" through the inlet manifold when #4 fires, flame could leak past the inlet valve and cause any mixture in the manifold to ignite.

you correct mate, I got a phone call from them at 5:30 pm and asked me to collect it on Saterday morning. :D

Cool

Update:

Timing reset to positions where they should have been. The resistance I got at half revolution on the crank gone. This confirmed suspicion that the valve was open.

Compression test done,

#1 - 10

#2 - 9

#3 - 8

#4 - 6

After that we decided the head need to come off.

After some major fiddling about we figured out how to get the camshafts out to get to the head bolts. Camshafts out we noticed some serious markings on the buckets. removed a bucket and the shim inside was in pieces! :o

So we proceeded to remove the head.

All the Intake side of the buckets are damaged from the camshaft loaves hitting down.

Removed valves from the intake side, 2 were bent, but all the buckets are damaged too, so were certain all the valves on the intake side are indeed shag'd, we need to induce some force to remove the valves! Removed exhaust side ones, no problems at all, slide straight out :)

So right now it looks like I need new set of buckets, valves, shims on intake side, and possibly a new camshaft. Ontop of that head gasket and head bolts.

Not a great result. This is the damage a broken auxiliary belt does when it wraps around the crankshaft pulley and burns a hole into the cambelt cover! the debris and deposits of plastic and belt fluff is what knocked out the timing causing the damage.

An important lesson learned indeed!

It will be exspensive fix, i'd estimate £500+ on parts easily.

***** happens, just going to make the most of the head being off and do some mods :lol:

Not sure, i'll try a 'good' valve in there to see.

Worse thing is i need a workshop manual with all torque settings etc...

Oh and this bank holiday weekend doesn't help in getting some prices for parts!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links