Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alignment And Tyre Tread Issue

cookee

Folks,

Am an owner of a 2003 IS200SE.

I recently had my tyres changed to find that the inside treads had all worn down but had a good 6-8mm on the rest of the tyre. Speaking to Lexus Guildford, they told me that this was by design and that the wheels were set in a way for better road holding and that is why I'd get the wear that way..hmmmm sounds fishy to me.

On further investigation I found that many owners were having issues with their alignment and that some people were having to change their tyres as often as every 6 months. In other cases people were paying for the car to be realigned on a regular basis...either way incurring way too much expense.

I had my alignment checked and it was out...within 2 months it was out again. Guy at the garage seemed to think it was the parts that Lexus use within the suspension that allow for this to happen far too easily.

My question to anyone who would be kind enough to answer...Do you have this problem? Have you heard of this problem before. looking at other forums and speaking with other Lexus owners it does seem to be an issue however as this is a more reputable site I wanted to know what the folks here thought. It could be me going mad but if there is a known problem then it's something that Lexus might want to address. If it's me going mad then I'll take my head in for an MOT!

Many thanks

Kind regards

Hi cookee,

This is a well known issue - a search will bring up many relevant threads here. After my first front tyres wore out in the way you describe after 15,000 miles, I went to Tony "Wheels in Motion" who did a full geometry reset - he knows these cars well. The IS setup can be adjusted in many dimensions, which gives better results than most simple realignments. Since then I've done another 15,000 miles with even wear and (touch wood) many thousands to go. I've also been happy with the handling, although Tony will discuss the setup for the way you want to drive.

And welcome!

Peter

Folks,

I recently had my tyres changed to find that the inside treads had all worn down but had a good 6-8mm on the rest of the tyre. Speaking to Lexus Guildford, they told me that this was by design and that the wheels were set in a way for better road holding and that is why I'd get the wear that way..hmmmm sounds fishy to me.

On further investigation I found that many owners were having issues with their alignment and that some people were having to change their tyres as often as every 6 months. In other cases people were paying for the car to be realigned on a regular basis...either way incurring way too much expense.

I had my alignment checked and it was out...within 2 months it was out again. Guy at the garage seemed to think it was the parts that Lexus use within the suspension that allow for this to happen far too easily.

My question to anyone who would be kind enough to answer...Do you have this problem? Have you heard of this problem before. looking at other forums and speaking with other Lexus owners it does seem to be an issue however as this is a more reputable site I wanted to know what the folks here thought. It could be me going mad but if there is a known problem then it's something that Lexus might want to address. If it's me going mad then I'll take my head in for an MOT!

Many thanks

Kind regards

Hi and Welcome to the LOC :)

It seems to be a General Problem with Nearly if not All the Lexus Range.

I had uneven tyre wear problems with my LS,my boss has had uneven tyre wear on his IS.Ive had tyre wear problems also with my Aristo (GS300 mk1).Theres also people on here with the same problems with there RX300.Id put money on the New IS250 having the same tyre wear problems in the future ;)

Maybe Lexus have shares in the tyre manufacturers companys :D

Tony at Wheels In Motion is the person to speak to,he seems to have cured alot of the problems with uneven by coming up with his own setup...Well Done to Tony...Shame that one man has found to problems that the Whole of Lexus couldnt seem to find,and they build the bleeding things :lol:

Cheers chips..

Folks,

Many thanks

Kind regards

There is unfortunately a problem with the IS200/300/SE front Geometry positions namely the Camber and Castor.

The Camber position appears fine 'static' but has an incorrect 'dynamic' %... The Dealers are well aware that i wrote new positions for the Camber but to be fair to them they have to abide to the original Lexus positions.... they cannot deviate.

Secondly most cars have Asian not UK Castor positions this is (to low) Combine the incorrect Camber and a low turning radii then the tyre cannot 'lift' enough during a turn amplifying the wear.

After testing my theory on several cars the new positions became 'matter of fact' this information was shared with 'trusted centres' displayed in WIM and the WIM forum... i don't want people to feel the need to travel 100s of miles to me... Hence the trusted centres around the UK.

Finally you are unique as a driver!.... No set-up i consider final, your individual environment cannot be mapped in advance... the solution is to re-check the pattern of tyre wear after 2000 miles, any discrepancies can be detected and compensated for.... unfortunately i am the only one who recognises this and for this reason i make no charge for this re-test... others may do.

Folks,

Many thanks

Kind regards

iHAVE THE SAME PROBLEM i had the front 2 tyres replaced about 5 thousand miles ago and yet again bald on the inside tread on both tyres, is it worth going back to lexus or does any body know any one good near wolverhampton

I bought My IS200 2 months ago and on inspection the rear tyres were completley worn on inside.

I made dealer replace them and put it down to maybe a boy racer before me ill have to keep an eye on this one I could be making a visit to tony @ WIM

Thanks for bringing this one up Cookee

Any LOC discounts @ WIM?

iHAVE THE SAME PROBLEM i had the front 2 tyres replaced about 5 thousand miles ago and yet again bald on the inside tread on both tyres, is it worth going back to lexus or does any body know any one good near wolverhampton
Same goes for me on third set of fronts in 12 months - Last lot lasted 5 months (4000) miles.

Looked on WIM site , but does anyone know anywhere in Leeds/Bradford??

Have a look at the WIM trusted centres HERE if you had used the link posted earlier by Steve you would have found this :D

Same goes for me on third set of fronts in 12 months - Last lot lasted 5 months (4000) miles.

Have a look at the WIM trusted centres HERE if you had used the link posted earlier by Steve you would have found this :D

Had my geometry checked at this place recommended by Mr Morse Nottingham Car 4 Wheel Alignment Ltd I went to the one in Colwick.

They found my rear cambers were well out, the lexus dealer had moved the tyres which had gone Bald on the inner edges to the front pointing towards tracking. This is a car which was 13 months old, so it was set incorrectly in the factory. I had 4 new tyres fitted at the same time, not a mark on the rims :D . I would recommend these people for tyres, time will tell on the Geometry. I will post the printout when I get chance.

Oldham's not too far away, try Drury Lane

They did mine and it's been spot-on for the last 30k.

I bought My IS200 2 months ago and on inspection the rear tyres were completley worn on inside.

I made dealer replace them and put it down to maybe a boy racer before me ill have to keep an eye on this one I could be making a visit to tony @ WIM

Thanks for bringing this one up Cookee

Any LOC discounts @ WIM?

Yes the price is very generous for LOC... even cheaper if you are in members Gold

I have the same tyres from new, they have now done 25K and they are showing no signs of wear. I reckon that if they wear at the rate they are doing now I am looking at at least 60K out of them!

Dunlop SP9000's

I know that is hard to believe but I can still get my little finger nail right in the tread. I suppose that it is down to my daily journey being 95% dual carriageway and motorway with few corners.

Oh, and yes, Tony has sorted my geo.

Tony

Can you recomend any where in the glasgow area that could do this work ?

Many thanks

No sorry only the ones on my site.....Policing a 'trusted centre' drains my limited time..... Wherever you go insist on a full Geometry ask for the full printout and then display it here to be validated.

• 1 month later...
No sorry only the ones on my site.....Policing a 'trusted centre' drains my limited time..... Wherever you go insist on a full Geometry ask for the full printout and then display it here to be validated.

Heh, so I'm picking there's no chance of getting somewhere in New Zealand that will do an alignment with the same level of attention to detail that you an your 'trusted' partners show...

I had one done recently when I got some new tread, they didn't adjust anything despite the fact I'd expressed concern about the scrubbing out of the inside edges of the front tyres... Most of the angles were within the factory limits, so I guess there policy is not to optimise it if it's within the factory range. Oh well.

Heh, so I'm picking there's no chance of getting somewhere in New Zealand that will do an alignment with the same level of attention to detail that you an your 'trusted' partners show...

I had one done recently when I got some new tread, they didn't adjust anything despite the fact I'd expressed concern about the scrubbing out of the inside edges of the front tyres... Most of the angles were within the factory limits, so I guess there policy is not to optimise it if it's within the factory range. Oh well.

Then insist it's you car you can have the wheels at whatever angle you like!.... If the car is modified pm me the details and i will write the positions for you...all you'll have to do is give the positions to the shop and say 'set-that'

Hi all

I have had no luck sorting out the alignment on my Lexus, firstly, when I got all my 4 tyres changed at a Local fitter a few months ago they did the alignment but one front tyre starting wearing badly on the outer edge, I then found another garage which appeared to have a computer facility but after they aligned it it has now worn badly (down to the thread) on the inner of one front tyre after only a few weeks and the steering was off centre after they had aligned it.

I have recently found out about Tony and WIM and he seems to actually know his Geometry!

So I would like to go to him ASAP to sort my car out.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links