Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Vibration

randyreindeer

I guess you have come across this problem before because I know I have. I traced mine to a sticky brake caliper which was ever so slightly causing the brake to bind. Well, I have just been chatting to a friend who has an imported Celica and he was telling me he had the same problem every so often. Well we decided to take a look and remove the front calipers. The dust shields on the pistons were not split at all but one piston was completely solid.

One quick strip and polish and coppa slip later, no more wobbles.

Now surely there must be loads of other cars out there with this problem and no end of wheel balancing will put it right. If you wobble, check out your calipers :)

• 3 months later...

I have had the steering wheel wobble on my GS 400 for the last 2 yrs and no one can get rid of it. I have 109,000 miles on the car and the wobble has been a severe annoyance from 50,000 miles. All the dealer told me was that my after market Milia wheels were the cause so I recently bought new original equipment wheels(17 inch) and new tires and it is still there. My tire shop guy who has been in the business for 20+ yrs. has turned the brake rotors and checked the suspension for looseness many many times and he says it is tight. The dealer did install some new suspension bushings at about 90,000 miles that helped a little. It almost feels like the steering wheel is loose. It happens of course right between 60-75 mph. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. I absolutely love the car and want to keep it a few more years but this makes driving it almost intolerable.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem posted above for the last year. I am ready to start replacing things rotors, calibers, & pads. I have gotten my wheels balanced, an alignment, and have checked for anything loose.

I am to the point that drastic measure need to take place.

Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

I just had my GS 300 in the shop today, and the mechanic looked it over on the lift and we even test drove it. He told me that everything was normal and my car was getting old. I have a 1999 with 52K miles, damn I hope not. Anyway, i have heard reports of the ball joints going out or even a bearing.

After everything, I put a new version of the factory tire on, and its still having the problem. I try not to think about it when i am in the car, but its damn hard! Best of Luck! i will post again if I find out some new info. Make sure you post if you find something out too.

• 2 weeks later...

This is really simple.

Go to a decent tyre shop and get ALL FOUR wheels balanced properly.

It'll cost about £18 inc vat. It's no good just balancing the front or rear - do all of 'em !

I had the same problem on a BMW 5 series and the vibration was between 75mph and 80 mph but I could drive through the vibration.

I went to loads of different shops and they always said it's just a front wheel balance or buckled alloy, flat spot on tyre, bushes, brakes. RUBBISH !!! I almost gave up hope.

Balancing the wheels not only cured the vibration at 75mph but it made the car smoother at all speeds.

Trust me this will work. If the vibration is at a certain speed and you can drive through it it is definitely a wheel balancing problem.

I can explain how balancing works and why you get the vibration when they are not balanced if anyone wants to know......

Getting the wheels balanced on the car may help. Do places still do this? The only problem with this is if you take the wheel off you need to make sure the wheel goes back in the same position on the hub otherwise the balance will go out.

Colin, I know one place in Winsford, Cheshire that does this. It's a place called "Barry and Wilkinson". These places are so rare and the balancing is not recommended on Auto boxes.

A proper tyre place will not need to balance on the car anyway.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links