Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've had my GS since August last year, and the new cam belt since about two weeks after I bought the car :blush: It's a 98 registered Mk1 ( must have been sitting in a dealers for some time ) and had a genuine 16800 miles on it last Aug. it's up to 21k now. Monday morning I thought I'm changeing the belt, two and a half hours later I still can't get the crankshaft nut undone :tsktsk: and the Autodata book says it's a 2 1/2 hour job. I tried the old breaker bar and scaffold bar over it wedged on the ground and hit the starter, just got clunk clunk. Rubber plug out of the sump and a bar in the drive plate, then strapped the bar to the suspension ,two foot Snap On breaker bar on the crank nut and 15 stone + of me holding the roll bar and both feet on the breaker bar . Decided it was time for a break, got in the Fiesta and drove to a friends garage, he couldn't suggest anything, so I drove up to Lexus Southend. I sort of know the workshop foreman there, told him my sorry tale and he loaned me "the Lexus tool" . It's a tube that bolts to the crank pully with two 8 mm bolts ( I couldn't see the bolt holes as they are recessed ) you then fit a holding bar to it with a pin. The bar sits on the chassis rail under the air filter box, you then put a deep reach 22mm socket through it onto the crank bolt. Same again Snap on breaker bar both feet, can't move it, jacked the car up even higher ( the exhaust tips are now almost on the ground ) put a scaffold tube over the breaker bar and BANG. I didn't want to look, I was expecting broken oil cooler pipes or a hole in the rad. Took the socket out and undid the bolt with my fingers . The rest of the job was easy, after I got the pully off.

I took some pictures of the tool and all the relevant dimensions, but on reflection you don't need anything so complex as the official tool. Either a piece of thick 3" angle iron or probably better a piece of flat metal about 75mm x 10 mm about 600mm long. 2 8mm clearance holes drilled in it at 65 mm centres and a large hole to get a 22mm socket through centrally between them. I'm going to make one, because once I have it I will never ever need it again :whistling:

I've had my GS since August last year, and the new cam belt since about two weeks after I bought the car :blush: It's a 98 registered Mk1 ( must have been sitting in a dealers for some time ) and had a genuine 16800 miles on it last Aug. it's up to 21k now. Monday morning I thought I'm changeing the belt, two and a half hours later I still can't get the crankshaft nut undone :tsktsk: and the Autodata book says it's a 2 1/2 hour job. I tried the old breaker bar and scaffold bar over it wedged on the ground and hit the starter, just got clunk clunk. Rubber plug out of the sump and a bar in the drive plate, then strapped the bar to the suspension ,two foot Snap On breaker bar on the crank nut and 15 stone + of me holding the roll bar and both feet on the breaker bar . Decided it was time for a break, got in the Fiesta and drove to a friends garage, he couldn't suggest anything, so I drove up to Lexus Southend. I sort of know the workshop foreman there, told him my sorry tale and he loaned me "the Lexus tool" . It's a tube that bolts to the crank pully with two 8 mm bolts ( I couldn't see the bolt holes as they are recessed ) you then fit a holding bar to it with a pin. The bar sits on the chassis rail under the air filter box, you then put a deep reach 22mm socket through it onto the crank bolt. Same again Snap on breaker bar both feet, can't move it, jacked the car up even higher ( the exhaust tips are now almost on the ground ) put a scaffold tube over the breaker bar and BANG. I didn't want to look, I was expecting broken oil cooler pipes or a hole in the rad. Took the socket out and undid the bolt with my fingers . The rest of the job was easy, after I got the pully off.

I took some pictures of the tool and all the relevant dimensions, but on reflection you don't need anything so complex as the official tool. Either a piece of thick 3" angle iron or probably better a piece of flat metal about 75mm x 10 mm about 600mm long. 2 8mm clearance holes drilled in it at 65 mm centres and a large hole to get a 22mm socket through centrally between them. I'm going to make one, because once I have it I will never ever need it again :whistling:

Any chance of putting a picture up of this tool :winky: :whistling:

Any chance of putting a picture up of this tool :winky: :whistling:

If only I knew how to, doesn't seem any easy way on this site. if you give me an e mail address I'll send them to you

Dimensions

Handle 25 x 9 x 560 mm

outside dia 4 hole end 83 mm 2 hole end 78 mm

bore dia 41 .5 mm

overall length 67 mm

end with 4 holes is 9mm thick

end with 2 holes is 25.5 mm thick

centre section is 32.5 mm long with an OD 48.5 mm

holes are 8mm clearance

Lextool1.jpg

Lextool2.jpg

Lextool3.jpg

Lextool4.jpg

Hope this will help. Thanks for Emailing the info Dave :winky:

Small world... your brother just mentioned this over on TIF.

I was impressed that you persuaded the dealer to lend you the service tool :)

Like I said I know the work shop foreman, he offered it I didn't ask. Mind you I didn't ask if I could take pictures either :winky:

I'm a firm believer in what goes round comes around, I get a lot of people out of trouble with transmissions or Ford stuff and info. This time I was lucky.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links