Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wanting An Ls400, Really Badly Now!

Hi there,

I introduced myself on the 'Newbie' section yesterday so I thought I'd pop into this bit, do the same and ask a few questions. :-)

My name's Rob and I live in a lovely little 'suburb townlet' called East Molesey in Surrey.

I've owned many lovely cars over the years, mostly large and executive saloons but unbelievably I have never owned a Japanese car, despite them being known for outstanding reliability and build quality - something I really like.

In the past the likes of an Audi 200 turbo, a Saab 9000 CSE, a Saab 9000 CDE and a BMW 740i have graced my driveway. The BMW was the most unfortunately tragic of the larger cars as it used to be in the garage about every three weeks having yet another thing repaired.

It's something I'm keen to avoid in the future, so I started doing some research on exec saloons and the LS400 seems to come out top, especially on the consumer review sites.

So, I've read through the posts on here and from what I can gather, the main problem seems to be display pixelation on the dash.

Frankly that doesn't worry me even slightly.

So;

Glancing on autotrader, the LS400's seem to have higher mileage than most equivalently aged cars, however I read on Toyota's site that the cars are good for 500,000 miles if serviced correctly - all sounds good to me. So my questions are (if you're still reading!):

I'm looking for around a 1998-1999 MkIV

1. What is the cambelt change interval?

2. Would I be better off getting a low mileage MkIII rather than a higher mileage MkIV (I do about 7k per year)?

3. What parts can I expect to change at what mileage (assuming a full Lexus history, without which I wouldn't buy)?

4. Does anyone know of any horror stories relating to a design flaw?

5. What should I look for / listen for mechanically when I am test driving?

Sorry to be such a newbie :duh: and ask dull questions, but the BMW really stung me (and I mean REALLY stung me) so I don't want the same thing to happen again!

All info and links gratefully received!

Regards, Rob.

have put my comments in italics

I'm looking for around a 1998-1999 MkIV

2. Would I be better off getting a low mileage MkIII rather than a higher mileage MkIV (I do about 7k per year)?

mkiv with higher mileage - supposed to be the best of all LS400s (and they eliminated some of the design faults from earlier models)

3. What parts can I expect to change at what mileage (assuming a full Lexus history, without which I wouldn't buy)?

spark plugs are every 60k or 5 years

brake pads will wear quickly if you do a lot of town driving

front lower balljoints

oxygen sensors can fail at higher mileage

suspension bushes can be worn at higher mileages, so do get this checked out

4. Does anyone know of any horror stories relating to a design flaw?

no. generally, they are super robust provided they haven't been neglected

5. What should I look for / listen for mechanically when I am test driving?

should be very low levels of wind noise, if wind noise, then windscreen may have been replaced

absence of strange noises - specifically, clunking/knocking noises

i.e. clunking when braking/turning at all speeds

and check for knocking when going over say speed bumps

engine should start first time, might rev high for first few minutes then will settle down to around 600rpm

you shouldn't feel any vibration through the wheel or in the car

check for noises when going from D to R to P and vice versa

under light throttle and cruising, car should be as quiet as a funeral parlour - certainly the 98 750i I drove sounded louder than my 92 LS

check the operation of ect/power mode on the gearbox - it should kickdown faster with the switch set to pwr mode

send us the details of any cars you are considering, and i'm sure myself and other club members

will be happy to give you our opinions on it! :D

OK, a few I am looking at currently:

1998 S Plate (This one's gone now.)

1998 S Plate

1999 V Plate

So far, and I haven't been to see any of them yet, I like the look of the first one. One owner from new and has clearly been looked after very well, plus it's in a very nice colour with Sat-Nav.

The second I like a lot although there's no indication of how many owners and I'm not sure about the Gold.

I'm a touch dubious of the third. No mileage stated but it's below 100k (filtered search). Seems kind of cheap for a V plate!

Any thoughts?

Ta.

OK, a few I am looking at currently:

1998 S Plate (You'll have to scroll down a bit and it's a bit of a temperamental link.)

1998 S Plate

1999 V Plate

So far, and I haven't been to see any of them yet, I like the look of the first one. One owner from new and has clearly been looked after very well, plus it's in a very nice colour with Sat-Nav.

The second I like a lot although there's no indication of how many owners and I'm not sure about the Gold.

I'm a touch dubious of the third. No mileage stated but it's below 100k (filtered search). Seems kind of cheap for a V plate!

Any thoughts?

Ta.

just to point out that every mkiv has satnav (as it was the 1st uk car ever to have standard satnav) :D

all 3 cars look ok in the pics. the bronze car may actually look nicer in the flesh to be honest.

the last car is a good color combo, as it's the black leather with the wood, which is a wicked contrast.

if i were you, i'd call up these 3 dealers, find out which lexus dealers have serviced the car, and then call up the lexus dealers just to confirm cambelt changes and mileage etc. if everything adds up, then go and have a look.

well, the part-ex price of a 99 V with 100k is 5300, so the last LS is a real bargain, unless something is not right with it.

if you can wait, i suggest buying the week or two before xmas, as most punters are spending their cash on xmas pressies and as such

you can walk into a dealership and get a cracking deal..

Thanks again for your input Maneesh. You read my mind on the 'when to buy' bit. I will be purchasing around the 15th / 16th December.

Good idea about contacting the Lexus service agents. I'll pop that on my list!

I didn't know that all MkIV's have Sat-Nav, that's something I've learned today. I'll wander over to these places and have a bit of a preliminary viewing this weekend I think.

I'm hoping the Gold one will look better in the flesh, it seems to be a tidy car - however, they all do so I'll see what I can see.

Cheers!

Hi Rob, I'm new here myself, but welcome.

You are further along the road than myself in terms of starting to consider viewing an LS, I very much like them but need to make sure it's the car for me.

Three very nice cars there, like you the v reg does seem a little cheap though, but tread carefully and I'm sure you'll find a good one.

Will be watching your posts with great interest, best of luck.

Sorry to put a dampener on your search but the McCarthy car sales in Mitcham Rd doesn't come high on the reliable dealer stakes i know a few people that have bought dodgy cars from them over the years,so make sure you have a good look over it first and have a thorough test drive and do a HPI (obvious i know) if you dont have any knowledge on these cars take someone along with you that does and try to get the Lexus dealers name that looked after it and give them a ring to make sure exactly what has been done to it and to verify its history.

Good luck in your search. :)

Hi Winnie,

Thanks for that info. Don't worry about dampening anything!!! Oddly I thought they looked like the most reputable of the three dealers I've linked too, just goes to show 'book by it's cover' etc.

I will definitely take someone knowledgable along when I look properly, plus I've asked my local (excellent) mechanic for his opinion and also some prices for the items Maneesh mentioned. He seems very enthusiastic about Lexus in general as long as (surprise surprise) any car I'm considering has a full Lexus history and as few owners as poss.

That's why the first one appeals so much, but I will still chase around the dealers who've dealt with each of the respective vehicles.

Barney,

I saw your new intro post in the new member section. Ironically, the other option from an LS400 was a Supra TT. I decided to go for a Lexus as it was proving too difficult to find genuine UK unmolested Supras.

Already I have had some excellent advice on buying an LS, which is after all why I joined and it's made me even more excited about owning one!

Thanks all. :)

Hi Steve and thanks Fred!

Well so far the first car I was looking at is sold, the silver frankly looks a bit dodgy and Frank on here looked at the Gold one in August and has some info on it for me.

Doesn't sound too promising to be honest. :huh:

There doesn't seem to be many MkIV's around for sale, most seem to be MkIII's. Maybe people hang on to MkIV's if they're good, don't know, but I will persevere!

:D

There doesn't seem to be many MkIV's around for sale, most seem to be MkIII's. Maybe people hang on to MkIV's if they're good, don't know, but I will persevere!

:D

Remember that Lexus GB used to sell 1 LS400 a day in previous years, so it's less than 400 sold in an entire year.

Sorry to put a dampener on your search but the McCarthy car sales in Mitcham Rd doesn't come high on the reliable dealer stakes i know a few people that have bought dodgy cars from them over the years

I went and saw a car that they were selling when I was looking for my GS, didnt like them to be honest, were rude and something just didnt seem right. The car had also been painted recently (badly too) but the guy still insisted that it was straight. Plus it was over priced and he wouldnt budge much.

Wouldnt reccomend them

Well, that was the last MkIV I was looking at. If I'm honest, every LS400 I've looked at seems either too old, too cheap or too dodgy. :duh:

Despite wanting one for well over a year and a half, I think I may be on the verge of abandoning the idea. Well, best to get honest advice BEFORE making a purchase!

On to my second choice now, which unfortunately isn't a Lexus.

Thanks all.

Sorry to put a dampener on your search but the McCarthy car sales in Mitcham Rd doesn't come high on the reliable dealer stakes i know a few people that have bought dodgy cars from them over the years

I went and saw a car that they were selling when I was looking for my GS, didnt like them to be honest, were rude and something just didnt seem right. The car had also been painted recently (badly too) but the guy still insisted that it was straight. Plus it was over priced and he wouldnt budge much.

Wouldnt reccomend them

What's your second choice? Beemer? Merc?

It will take quite a bit of time to hunt for a decent car, but hang in there..if you do a fair bit of checking before you visit the dealer, you can sometimes save yourself the aggro of viewing a dodgy car...:lol:

Come and see mine! Its for sale at around £4000, see swap for on Cars for sale. Its not immaculate but its only a bit of bumper damaged and its almost not worth fixing!

I may be interested. Is it a mk iv?

as for the 3 mentioned above:

"... touch dubious of the third. No mileage stated but it's below 100k (filtered search). Seems kind of cheap for a V plate! "

It's actually 175K miles.

Not sure if that's still a bargin or not.

I'm looking too. but have budget of <£9K.

I'm in the same position as you Filter so we're looking at all the same cars.

Did you find out how often the cambelt needs changing on the LS400? Or anyone else know?

Me too

I am looking to replace my Honda Legend with a Lexus. Always wanted one, but could not afford it earlier.

I have spotted a "R" reg 1998 at 50K miles.

ANy thoughts on that.

Is this a mk1v ?

I'm in the same position as you Filter so we're looking at all the same cars.

Did you find out how often the cambelt needs changing on the LS400? Or anyone else know?

Me too

I am looking to replace my Honda Legend with a Lexus. Always wanted one, but could not afford it earlier.

I have spotted a "R" reg 1998 at 50K miles at < £9K

ANy thoughts on that.

Is this a mk1v ?

I've also seen a facelifted 98 reg at 138K miles but under £5K ?

WOuld appreciate if someone could indicate views.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links