Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Audio Sounds Fab, But Lights Are Out

Sorry I've been so long before posting here :blush: ; joined a few weeks back when I bought the best car I have ever owned (so far), a 95 LS400 with 69K genuine miles and a full Lexus history. I could wax lyrical all night about it...except: the lights illuminating the audio system went out last week. They'd done it the week before, but only for a day before coming back on again. I've read through back posts and seen all the stuff on needles and temp gauges and clocks, but mine are OK in that department (touches top of head). Just the audio lights. Realy annoying at night. :blink: Any ideas about cause and possible solution? Profuse apologies if I've missed an FAQ somewhere.

Sorry I've been so long before posting here :blush: ; joined a few weeks back when I bought the best car I have ever owned (so far), a 95 LS400 with 69K genuine miles and a full Lexus history. I could wax lyrical all night about it...except: the lights illuminating the audio system went out last week. They'd done it the week before, but only for a day before coming back on again. I've read through back posts and seen all the stuff on needles and temp gauges and clocks, but mine are OK in that department (touches top of head). Just the audio lights. Realy annoying at night. :blink: Any ideas about cause and possible solution? Profuse apologies if I've missed an FAQ somewhere.

Hi and welcome to LOC,

I may have the wiring diagrams for your year so I will took a look and post back to you as it sounds like a wiring problem

I notice you are in Nottingham so look out for me on the A610 driving a bronze 1994 Celsior/LS400 import!

Chers,

Steve

Thanks for those tips. I'd appreciate a wiring diagram and the photos on getting the audio out are pretty clear. Can't think it would be bulbs, having gone off and then on again before going off again a week ago. Will see...

M

Could just be anodised connectors? Try switch cleaner (Isopropyl alcohol) and a wiggle (The switch! Not your a....!!) :D

Could just be anodised connectors? Try switch cleaner (Isopropyl alcohol) and a wiggle (The switch! Not your a....!!) :D

Wiggle the switch? Which switch? The stereo itself is fine (very fine) so I can't see it being the switch. Or maybe you mean another switch. :unsure:

M

Hi,

According to the wiring diagram the bulb illumination is via the following wiring

A plain green wire going to pin 10 of the rear connector carries the +12v feed and a green/white wire to pin 6 is the -ve return.(on back of stereo unit)

If you have a meter measuring volts across these 2 wires it should produce 12V if it's present it will be a fault within the stereo unit if not get back to me and I will trace the looms back further.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks for that Steve; I do have a meter, but not here, so I'll need to block off some time to get the stereo out and check the supply. If the supply is OK then it'll be off to AutoSound at Bradford, as recommended by JellyBean. Will report back. Thanks for all your help people! :D M

• 2 months later...

HI ive just braught a 96 and exactly the same problem,did you get yours sorted?.Theres plenty of threads on this subject but nobody has ever posted a DIY solution to the problem other than send it away for repair :winky: Has anyone managed to fix this themselves?[mine does not have a phone kit fitted].

AHHH HAAAA B) searched the US forums and not actualy finding a direct solution to the problem i managed to get just enough info to get an idea of what to look for.Now if you are at all ham fisted dont try doing this it is a very delicate operation and you could end up damageing the stereo.I bit the bullet and decided to take the stereo to pieces its reasonably easy needing only a phillips screwdriver[the hard part seperateing the layers of circuit board through a couple of very delecate pin plugg connections ].The problem part is typicaly on the botton circuit boad at the back left corner there are 2 tiny rectangular ceramic resistors next to each other [about 4mm long and 2mm wide]and after searching the boards found that the solder on these looked very sus so with my crappy oversized soldering iron and solder maneged after a long long time to solder them :D. Anyway i put it back together and YAY the lights work again and im feeling pretty proud of myself :P

I hope this helps anyone else who seeks the quest for illumination the DIY way.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links