Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Engine Paint

Just sprayed up my heat shields (metallic black) and their looking very nice now aslo want to tidy up the engine a bit, I was thinking of painting it.

Is it worth doing, and is it simply a case of getting a hold of some decent brushes and some heat proof paint or is there allot more to it?

Has anyone got any suggetions on what colour i should do it on an Aztec Fire SE or any advice in general about this?

- Paul :)

What parts are you thinking of doing??

I've had my engine block painted black. The engine was removed at the time.

The plastic covers have been profesionally sprayed by a bodyshop. The same colour as my blue pipes, (was a bitch to get the exact paint match / code but we got there in the end)

I've also got the rocker cover polished..

Block and cam cover

Plastic covers

Cam / Rocker cover

Also polished the rad clamps too

Generally i would say only paint the engine if its out of the car that way you would do a better job i mean how are you going to get behind all the pulleys at the front of the engine and making it look smart at the same time.

Good point Winnie, would have to think about getting the engine out which means it'd have to wait for quite a while as I use the car every day.

I've seen these plastic covers etc that replace the existing plastics but to be honest they look a bit tacky to me and i'd rather make the engine look clean.

No reason why you couldn't polish the parts yourself if you have the right tools.

Pete Jenkin who runs G-Spec is somewhere around your neck of the woods, you might try contacting him since G-Spec do all sorts of polishing work

Will look them up and see what they say, find out what the damage will be £££.

Also I've got a spare rocker cover that I'll be getting polished too and then selling :winky: (Pics in my post above) :)

Obviously very interested depending on price :winky: Roughly how much would you expect to pay for this kind of work? it's so that I have some idea when i get a quote (don't want to be ripped off).

Pics look great Adie have you got one of the whole engine with all the covers on?. :D

- Paul

Also I've got a spare rocker cover that I'll be getting polished too and then selling :winky: (Pics in my post above) :)

Obviously very interested depending on price :winky: Roughly how much would you expect to pay for this kind of work? it's so that I have some idea when i get a quote (don't want to be ripped off).

Pics look great Adie have you got one of the whole engine with all the covers on?. :D

- Paul

Think I payed about £100 for the cam cover to be polished inc delivery etc. No pic of the engine bay yet as its still not complete.

Spraying the plastic covers was actually more hassle and expense than the polishing because of the paint reacting to the plastic etc.. Unless you do it yourself and aren't too bothered with the finish. :winky:

Did try and spray one of the covers with some Plasticote or whatever it's called from Halfords, it just gave a really naff finish to it so i took it all off again. Memo to all "Don't use Plasticote".

- Paul

Think I payed about £100 for the cam cover to be polished inc delivery etc. No pic of the engine bay yet as its still not complete.

Spraying the plastic covers was actually more hassle and expense than the polishing because of the paint reacting to the plastic etc.. Unless you do it yourself and aren't too bothered with the finish. :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links