Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sc/ Tc In Ireland

I seriously thinking about adding a supercharger or Turbo to my Rs200. My main worry is getting it insured with this modification. Does anyone know if i could get it insured in Ireland with this mod and how much roughly my insurance would go up. Im currently paying 2100 Euro

Not really sure mate, when I was living over there, Axa wanted €2500 for a P reg rover200 1.8 turbo(bubble shape) and they wanted to fit a blackbox for that price.

Went with Hibernian in the end, got it down to €1300 after going on a one day intensive course, which I got a 50% discount because I completed it highest standard that year :)

If you're paying 2100 Euro for the stock RS, you may have some fun trying to add a SC/TC. Still, it won't hurt to call your insurance company and ask!

I know that on most of the online quotations, "IS200 Supercharger" is an option, which I took as a good sign. I've never seen mention of IS200 Turbo, and I've never even looked at Altezza quotes. However, I do remember reading an Irish post before saying that unless the SC install was performed/certified by Toyota/Lexus over here, the insurance company wouldn't quote.

Si

If you're paying 2100 Euro for the stock RS, you may have some fun trying to add a SC/TC. Still, it won't hurt to call your insurance company and ask!

I know that on most of the online quotations, "IS200 Supercharger" is an option, which I took as a good sign. I've never seen mention of IS200 Turbo, and I've never even looked at Altezza quotes. However, I do remember reading an Irish post before saying that unless the SC install was performed/certified by Toyota/Lexus over here, the insurance company wouldn't quote.

Si

Ok i could get it fitted by Lexus! So im currently with Hibernian are these the best company to insure the car with SC installed or is there other companies that would be better?

Ok i could get it fitted by Lexus!

Indeed. I'm thinking of doing the same, merely for piece of mind/guarantee/personal inability etc.

So im currently with Hibernian are these the best company to insure the car with SC installed or is there other companies that would be better?

Honestly, I haven't a clue. It really seems to depend on your age, experience, locale, profession, underwear colour, etc.

I've been in a group scheme for the last 4 years, and it's proven cheaper than every other quote. Ultimately, the underwriter was Allianz. The scheme has recently changed ownership to the AA, and again that's far and away the best quote I could find, underwritten by AIG. As a benchmark, I'm 30, with 6 years no claims, full licence for 5 years. My renewal (which I've just paid) was €575 fully comp, with one unlimited claim allowed in any 3-year period, standard excess of €200, windscreen cover included, driving other cars included, my gf a named driver. On website quotes, a supercharger generally adds €100-€150 for me, or thereabouts. I have not enquired what the difference would be with my current insurer. I generally get a good idea of prices on 123.ie but I subtract a bit as a rule.

Hope you get it sorted anyway. A supercharged/turboed Altezza would pretty much rock!

Si

IS200 supercharger is not the same as RS200 .... what i've found is modified is unknown and has little statistics to base a price on so they either won't quote you or they will insist on a massive eccess like €4000 euro....

Galla4 has his IS200 supercharged and had trouble getting insurance because Lexus didn't fit it....

Let us know how you get on?

I got insurance with Hibernian but if you think Lexus Ireland are going to entertain fitting a SC ot Turbo to a Toyota Altezza you can dream on. Lexus Ireland wont even look at an Altezza!!!!

So where did you get it fitted? And how much did it cost parts and labour? I was talking to the parts gut in Caroll and Kinsella in Blackrock, Dublin and they said they would service my car! How did you going about getting it insured? Im currently with hibernian, Will i just tell them "Hey i just stuck a supercharger on my Altezza, how mush more money you want from me?" :P

your not the only one looking at this

im with fbd im 26 male and in offaly with 6 years ncb

the body of the car is already modified and ive the car estimated value at 18k .all in all im paying 1.4k per year . so far ive told the insurance company everything about the car and they and me have all letters on file . a month ago i went in with a list of parts i was going to put into the engine and the suspension ( turboing fule pumps nos etc.. ) . after talking to them they said my insurance would be 1.7k year year . tho i find that its a high its still lower then my 1.4 ford focus when i was 24 , i have breakdown assist and i have windscreen cover . my excess is 250

as for places to get a turbo strapped on . anywhere that has a mechanic with some knowlage will do it its the mapping of the ecu thats the hard part . ive gone to talk to the lads in ttm in galway / the lads in extreem in waterford / the guys in cda in dublin ( there outisde dub i cant rember where ) . the cost of putting the turbo on ive been told would be 1 days work which varied from 600-1000 some prices included mapping and dyno time some didnt.

at the moment im waiting for the guys in the garage that ive decided on to get some free time and space as they said they wont be able to take me in till jan 07 . ill be getting it done in grunt tuinning ( i may have the spelling wrong ) i found him to be the most helpfull person with all my questions about the car so far i think hes spent about 3 hrs talking to me about the car and what will get done and how it will affect the car.

the most famous car ive seen that he done was the ae86 s2000 powerd modified motors drift car.

hes not cheap but then again you do get what you pay for

ive talked to mechanics in lexus ireland and toyota . they wont allow my car into the maintance yard to be serviced

My local Toyota will take the car in for servicing no problem... they don't care what it is as long as i can pay....

@ Dan, the supercharger that Owen has is made by TTE for the IS200 six block only...

you would have to get a non toyota charger like Blitz for the RS200, don't think Lexus would be any help then...

My local Toyota will take the car in for servicing no problem... they don't care what it is as long as i can pay....

@ Dan, the supercharger that Owen has is made by TTE for the IS200 six block only...

you would have to get a non toyota charger like Blitz for the RS200, don't think Lexus would be any help then...

unless he found a toms one ? wasnt the toms tubo fitted by toyota ?

your not the only one looking at this

im with fbd im 26 male and in offaly with 6 years ncb

the body of the car is already modified and ive the car estimated value at 18k .all in all im paying 1.4k per year . so far ive told the insurance company everything about the car and they and me have all letters on file . a month ago i went in with a list of parts i was going to put into the engine and the suspension ( turboing fule pumps nos etc.. ) . after talking to them they said my insurance would be 1.7k year year . tho i find that its a high its still lower then my 1.4 ford focus when i was 24 , i have breakdown assist and i have windscreen cover . my excess is 250

as for places to get a turbo strapped on . anywhere that has a mechanic with some knowlage will do it its the mapping of the ecu thats the hard part . ive gone to talk to the lads in ttm in galway / the lads in extreem in waterford / the guys in cda in dublin ( there outisde dub i cant rember where ) . the cost of putting the turbo on ive been told would be 1 days work which varied from 600-1000 some prices included mapping and dyno time some didnt.

at the moment im waiting for the guys in the garage that ive decided on to get some free time and space as they said they wont be able to take me in till jan 07 . ill be getting it done in grunt tuinning ( i may have the spelling wrong ) i found him to be the most helpfull person with all my questions about the car so far i think hes spent about 3 hrs talking to me about the car and what will get done and how it will affect the car.

the most famous car ive seen that he done was the ae86 s2000 powerd modified motors drift car.

hes not cheap but then again you do get what you pay for

ive talked to mechanics in lexus ireland and toyota . they wont allow my car into the maintance yard to be serviced

Well im only 24 with 0 no claims bonus and im paying 2100 fully comp. So your saying my best bet is to just ring up my insurance company telling them mods planned? I already have fittd an APexi induction kit. Should i tell them about this? So What do you think will be the total amount for fitting the turbo, approx?

What I'd do is ring up and tell them you are thinking of trading in your standard Rs200 for a Turbo version ... i wouldn't mention the word "modifying" ..... scares them lol

there are a few '99 ones on carzone if they ask for more info...

I got insurance with Hibernian but if you think Lexus Ireland are going to entertain fitting a SC ot Turbo to a Toyota Altezza you can dream on. Lexus Ireland wont even look at an Altezza!!!!

So where did you get it fitted? And how much did it cost parts and labour? I was talking to the parts gut in Caroll and Kinsella in Blackrock, Dublin and they said they would service my car! How did you going about getting it insured? Im currently with hibernian, Will i just tell them "Hey i just stuck a supercharger on my Altezza, how mush more money you want from me?" :P

He fitted it himself, with a little help

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=27146

As mentioned this kit is for the IS200 only, best bet would be a Blitz kit. I believe Mr Singh had/has one of these.

Well im only 24 with 0 no claims bonus and im paying 2100 fully comp. So your saying my best bet is to just ring up my insurance company telling them mods planned? I already have fittd an APexi induction kit. Should i tell them about this? So What do you think will be the total amount for fitting the turbo, approx?

id say your best bet is to go into there office . from what ive seen no company take you seriously over the phone. when i went into fbd with my list the guy was on the phone finding out things for me for about 20 mins . it took them a while but im almost sure if i had rang up they would of said well have to get back to you about that and then just forgotton about me .

if ur talking about the apexi induction kit . try and call it something else . never use names of the companies the equipment is made by .

for instance im switching my suspension next week i hope and adding a edfc type thing and stut bars front and rear

what ive told the insurance company is that i cant get the offical toyota parts to replace a broken suspension because its a jap and that this was my only option . i didnt tell them the name of the company that made the new bits but they just said it was fine.

try and be vague about horse power figures . 0-60 times shouldnt drop under 7.5 seconds and your expecting about 250 bhp after the turbo is on. the work will be certified by a quallifed mechanic this is a must by all companies afaik

always rember to get whatever they say to you on paper for future reference with the persons name you were talking to and if possible always go back to them.

smile and be polite. talk about the weather and rember to say you dont drink cause as long as your never seen to drink and drive they dont care.

dont use words like upgraded when talking about engine parts . instead use replaced due to rust/broken/the hamster fell off the wheel/need replacing. cause once they have wrote down that the part was replaced with x then your in the clear.

as for strapping on the turbo in or around the 800 mark sounds about the norm and then mapping would be needed the guys in extreem said to me about 1000-1300 but they had never done one before thats with mapping

Diapason what type of group are you insured with ... /me ponders setting up a group

i think im more inclined to look into getting a supercharger, rumours have it they are easier to fit and they provide instant power all though the rev ranges, no turbo lag. Maybe not such a big BHP increase as a turbo but more low end torque i think(correct me if im wrong!) Which is exactly what the RS200 needs in my opinion

But a turbo is still an option. So if i get a turbo, what other parts are needed engine wise? if i have to start adding to the internals i think ill keep clear and stick to a strap on supercharger. All this is probably wont happen to early next year, so plenty of time to plan it. How much does the Turbo its self cost and what make are you going for Elexes?

i made this post a while back http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...=36349&st=0

read Mr Singh's posts hes got a sc kit and his answers proved to help me make up my mind . i was almost going to get a sc but went turbo when it came to crunch time

but ive gone a different root . im no longer getting a kit instead im having one built to spec . its going to be a year project but all the heavy work will be done i hope by may of 07

it aint cheap

Diapason what type of group are you insured with ... /me ponders setting up a group

I work in the IFSC, and there's a group scheme for those employed here who have a certain amount of driving experience and no claims. I'm not sure if too many people know about it, to be honest, but it works for me!

Si

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links