Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Brake Problem Is200se 2005

Hi All.

My dad owns a Lexus IS200SE 2005 and when you get in the car early morning, travel at about 30mph and press on the brakes hard, the car takes quite a while to slow down, compared to if you have been in the car for around 20 mins.

They have taken the car to Lexus Stockport, but they have just advised them "It will pass an MOT, and nothing is wrong".

My dad is mainly worried as if they need to stop quickly, the car will not when it has only been running for a few mins.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks

Hi All.

My dad owns a Lexus IS200SE 2005 and when you get in the car early morning, travel at about 30mph and press on the brakes hard, the car takes quite a while to slow down, compared to if you have been in the car for around 20 mins.

They have taken the car to Lexus Stockport, but they have just advised them "It will pass an MOT, and nothing is wrong".

My dad is mainly worried as if they need to stop quickly, the car will not when it has only been running for a few mins.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks

Hi, had a thought regarding this, as it is early morning the brakes will be cold as there will of had chance to cool down overnightand will be cold. You will find in my experience that brakes will be less efficent when cold than when the brakes are hot as the heat improves the frictional properties of the brake pads thus improving the thermal braking efficency. Ask the Lexus dealer to do a rolling road brake test as if they were doing an MOT when the brakes are cold and see if it is to MOT standards as this should prove if the brakes are efficient enough to stop the vehicle in an emergency. If they are good the wheels will 'lock up' when the brakes are applied hard on the rolling road. Other than that it could be a set of 'less' frictional brake pads as the differences in frictional material differs from car manufacture to car manufacture. I know that when I worked for a well known french car maker they were for ever messing around with the brake pad material to improve squealing problems while keeping the braking efficency there. They eventually came to a compromise and changed brake pad manufacture. A new set of pads might improve the braking efficiency but without actually feeling the brakes it is hard to judge. Hope this helps a little.

Regards the reformed Pumatron!!! :)

There was a tip somewhere on here for something like that - it said to say get a brick on the brake pedal and hold that down to ensure the pressure is applied overnight - think that was for getting air out of the system?

There was a tip somewhere on here for something like that - it said to say get a brick on the brake pedal and hold that down to ensure the pressure is applied overnight - think that was for getting air out of the system?

Or you just pump the brake pedal!

Is the brake fluid level OK? It will fluctuate depending on temperature - just make sure it is in the middle when resting/cold.

You can visually see how much brake pad is left in the car, although in a 2005 I doubt it would have worn down to anything near serious!.

D.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links