Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Impressions

I've got one for the day whilst my IS200 is in at Lexus Reading having a cambelt change.

First impressions, quiet, smooth, executive car.

No squeaks or rattles. Changes gear smoothly. Tiptronic is fun for a few moments. Engine pulls ok but the traffic on the M4 was very bad so haven't really had a chance to open it up.

It's a good car. It does what it's meant to do very well.

Nowhere near as much fun as my supercharged IS200 though ;)

I've got one for the day whilst my IS200 is in at Lexus Reading having a cambelt change.

No squeaks or rattles. Changes gear smoothly. Tiptronic is fun for a few moments. Engine pulls ok but the traffic on the M4 was very bad so haven't really had a chance to open it up.

Is that coz it Auto nick :question: i had test drive in the 220d manual and it was :sick: to drive.

Is that coz it Auto nick :question: i had test drive in the 220d manual and it was :sick: to drive.

I haven't got masses of experience of automatic gearboxes, but this one I was really happy with. It's very smooth, quiet, perfect for the stop start traffic I had to endure getting to work!

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I enjoyed it :blink:

I had a IS250 auto last year whilst mine was in for service and I stated at the time that I would never buy one as long as it had a foot operated 'handbrake'.

This year they gave me a IS220d for the day and it was OK apart from the rear view mirror - couldn't see a thing because of the vibration. Not available in auto excludes that model.

Add to this the continual reported problems and I think I will stick with the IS200 auto thanks :)

But yes that footbrake needs getting used to....

I just don't find it a problem . . . . . but I have driven quite a few cars in the 'States, with foot operated parking brakes.

I can remember when control layouts were far less standardised than they are now and swapping between cars meant spending a little more time familiarising yourself with the controls.

Foot handbrake what foot handbrake?

I have a Auto SEL and i can sit here and say quite positivley I HAVE NEVER USED IT.

It dosent make any difference to the car. Stop, put the car in Park and walk away the car has not rolled away yet. everytime i come back to it its still there.

I am currently driving an SEL 220d courtesy car which has quite possibly the worst turbo lag of any modern car ive driven,

Foot down and .............................................here we go,

but i do like the torque in 2nd & 3rd i find 4th quite useless and prefer to jump upto 5th from 3rd.

My 250SEL Auto is still in Lex Nuke, now having the ECU changed out, cos they cant find the problem causing the VSC problem anywhere else. (thats in 3 times in the last week)

Auto is silky smooth through the box, and very comfortable. (Even for the fatboy) :) Still much prefer the auto

to the manual, and the standard audio system lacks sparkle, depth and definition compared to the ML MM system.

Infinity........

I had a IS250 auto last year whilst mine was in for service and I stated at the time that I would never buy one as long as it had a foot operated 'handbrake'.

This year they gave me a IS220d for the day and it was OK apart from the rear view mirror - couldn't see a thing because of the vibration. Not available in auto excludes that model.

Add to this the continual reported problems and I think I will stick with the IS200 auto thanks :)

My IS250 Auto has just had its 20,000 mile service and it's come back better than ever. It's the most relaxing car to drive I've ever owned. When you are gliding along sitting on heated leather seats, listening to the excellent sound system, where a flex of your right toe rockets you past any slower traffic, all is right with the world. As for the foot operated handbrake; I really don't see the problem - I only ever use it when I'm parking on a steep hill, the rest of the time I leave it in "Park". I did look at an IS200 Auto but to be honest the engine itself is pretty gutless and sticking an autobox on didn't do it any favours. Good for my old mum though.

I am currently driving an SEL 220d courtesy car which has quite possibly the worst turbo lag of any modern car ive driven,

but i do like the torque in 2nd & 3rd i find 4th quite useless and prefer to jump upto 5th from 3rd.

:lol: I normally have quick nap before the Turbo kicks in :yawn:

That's the only problem with the diesel. The auto has almost no faults (from my perspective). Whilst the auto is quick enough, you do have to keep it in the upper echelons of the rev band and your foot right down. The diesel shoots in the mid range...

No seriously - you do have to prep yourself more than most diesels for that quick getaway or quick blast past slower traffic. Once you've got used to it it's a hoot...

On balance (and hindsight) for me the Auto is the one to buy...10 less MPG but probably worth it (unless you do lots of motorway miles). The manual 250 is OK too, but I'd stick with the oiler!

I'm actually quite looking forward to the trip back to Reading shortly. My car is ready to pick up. Gonna have a play with the paddles this time.

It'll be intresting to see what I think of my IS200 on the way home! :D

Have a play with the paddles. It's fun to hold it in 2nd or 3rd as you go round a roundabout and then just accelerate away as you exit - the car just takes off.

Well, you can't compare a supercharged manual IS200 to an automatic IS250.

Different class of cars.

My IS200 has much more torque (at least it feels like it) over the IS250. It's also an easier car to see out of it (whats with the monster size rear-view mirror), and I also hit my head on the roof whilst getting into the car! The cockpit is a nicer place to be, but it's much smaller than the IS200's.

The stereo is my IS200 is also better IMO (comparing like for like here, none of this Mark Levinson stuff).

But my IS250 had manual operated seats. Whats all that about?

Would I buy one?

At the moment no. Ask me in 3 years time when they are about 10k and I'll have a rethink!

I test drove the is250se mm auto when it came out and was well impressed,and also impressed with the tiptronic but i am used to driving autos.As for the hand brake i'd only ever use when the cars parked up.

for future reference i know i ccn fit the 250 in my garage with the mirrors open,just. :)

not that i'm going to sell my 200auto yet as its still a great car to drive :D

I am currently in a 250 auto from Lex Reading, as my 220d has been in for the past week and a half for rattles :o I called them before leaving work and they tell me mine should be back with me tomorrow?

I have forgotten what my car looks like :crybaby:

I had never driven an auto, but this one is very quick! I found a "PWR" button, which according to the book, puts more power to the wheels :D If you drop your foot - it reves so far to the red line.........before changing gear B) I have left a few cars behind :whistling:

I am currently in a 250 auto from Lex Reading, as my 220d has been in for the past week and a half for rattles :o I called them before leaving work and they tell me mine should be back with me tomorrow?

I have forgotten what my car looks like :crybaby:

I had never driven an auto, but this one is very quick! I found a "PWR" button, which according to the book, puts more power to the wheels :D If you drop your foot - it reves so far to the red line.........before changing gear B) I have left a few cars behind :whistling:

but which do you like the best ? ive never driven a 220d :)

:lol: I normally have quick nap before the Turbo kicks in :yawn:

That's the only problem with the diesel. The auto has almost no faults (from my perspective). Whilst the auto is quick enough, you do have to keep it in the upper echelons of the rev band and your foot right down. The diesel shoots in the mid range...

No seriously - you do have to prep yourself more than most diesels for that quick getaway or quick blast past slower traffic. Once you've got used to it it's a hoot...

On balance (and hindsight) for me the Auto is the one to buy...10 less MPG but probably worth it (unless you do lots of motorway miles). The manual 250 is OK too, but I'd stick with the oiler!

A couple of weeks ago i did a run fron Newcastle down to the MPH show in the NEC and managed a round trip on one tank averaged 37.7 from door to door in one day, dammed good for an auto, although the local stuff varies from 23.6 upto 28 depending on how heavy footed i get (lower normally)

PS. Northen boy. where to you hail from, im a Wallsend lad.

A couple of weeks ago i did a run fron Newcastle down to the MPH show in the NEC and managed a round trip on one tank averaged 37.7 from door to door in one day, dammed good for an auto, although the local stuff varies from 23.6 upto 28 depending on how heavy footed i get (lower normally)

Bonjour me old marra! I'm from Heaton. I had a run down to Birmingham and found that at 70mph the engine was ticking over at 2000rpm and returning 37-38 mpg too. Bloody delighted with that.

Bonjour me old marra! I'm from Heaton. I had a run down to Birmingham and found that at 70mph the engine was ticking over at 2000rpm and returning 37-38 mpg too. Bloody delighted with that.

Yep, thats good enough for me too after an IS200 Sport which practically need to followed by a Shell tanker

the 250 lets me get better VFM on the milage.

Owa Heaton, ill bet its the posh bit near the Hospital.

[

Owa Heaton, ill bet its the posh bit near the Hospital.

Too right. You can't turn round for tripping over heart surgeons round here.

Foot brake same as on the e class merc As the car holds 100% on hills I never use the hand brake. Before I changed to the 18 inch wheels I was getting 40mpg with the auto which is only about 3 mpg worse than the diesel on a run...Oh well it will all be hybrids soon and then we will see a lot of false claims about mpg!! Just read the Prius forums!!

alan

What's the big deal about the foot operated parking brake? With an auto gearbox, unless you are planning on doing handbrake turns, there's no real need for a "hand" operated handbrake in the centre console.

Plus, no traditional handbrake = a nice big fat armrest! :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links