Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Finally Averaged Over 40 Mpg

javadude

I finally found out how to average over 40mpg - drive to Hull (from Reading) and back. I picked up a friend from university today. I sat there for mile after mile with the cruise control set to 70mph and the tank average was 40.5mpg when I got back. For a lot of the time it was showing around 41-42mpg :D Perhaps I just need to go via Hull on every journey :blink:

I think I managed to get a speeding ticket though :crybaby: I knew the camera was there and I had been doing 70mph but there were four other cars around me doing stuff that I needed to keep an eye on and I might have slipped over cause one of us got flashed.

I finally found out how to average over 40mpg - drive to Hull (from Reading) and back. I picked up a friend from university today. I sat there for mile after mile with the cruise control set to 70mph and the tank average was 40.5mpg when I got back. For a lot of the time it was showing around 41-42mpg :D Perhaps I just need to go via Hull on every journey :blink:

I think I managed to get a speeding ticket though :crybaby: I knew the camera was there and I had been doing 70mph but there were four other cars around me doing stuff that I needed to keep an eye on and I might have slipped over cause one of us got flashed.

I've managed 47mpg on a round trip from Huddersfield to Manchester...and doing between 70 and 80mph :driving:

The speed cameras in Yorkshire wont flash until you are doing over 79mph, so hopefully it wasn't you :whistling:

I've managed 47mpg on a round trip from Huddersfield to Manchester...and doing between 70 and 80mph

Woah cool. Not sure I'd manage that with the sport's different gear ratios.

The speed cameras in Yorkshire wont flash until you are doing over 79mph, so hopefully it wasn't you

It was Northamptonshire with their funny forward facing ones on the A43. My passenger thought it was the cars in front but I guess I'll soon find out if not. Be ironic if it was me though as it's probably the slowest journey I've ever made.

Welcome to the over 40's club :o

Well getting 40+ in a Sport is as good as getting 46+ in an SE/base/SEL - at least if you consider the official figures!!

PS - I averaged 38ish MPG in a manual 250SE this week....on a 196 mile run each way! That I reckon is 8-10mpg less than I reckon my 220d SE would have done...

Thanks. But I'm only 38.... :P

I usually get about 33mpg commuting to work (50/50 split of town/motorway) so it was nice to find out what was possible. Even the 33 is 5-8mpg better than my IS200 and the new cars faster too so I can't really complain.

Thanks. But I'm only 38.... :P

I usually get about 33mpg commuting to work (50/50 split of town/motorway) so it was nice to find out what was possible. Even the 33 is 5-8mpg better than my IS200 and the new cars faster too so I can't really complain.

I'm 39, life begins next August, apparently........

What I also found is that the manual 220d (even SE) is actually faster than the 250, on a well run in, like for like comparo. Maybe 250 slightly quicker, or neck and neck upto 60, but once the torque and turbo kick in, the oiler is defo quicker.

Mind you, you have to be used to the gearing and the fact that the 250 revs much higher...

What I also found is that the manual 220d (even SE) is actually faster than the 250, on a well run in, like for like comparo. Maybe 250 slightly quicker, or neck and neck upto 60, but once the torque and turbo kick in, the oiler is defo quicker.

Mind you, you have to be used to the gearing and the fact that the 250 revs much higher...

IMHO Jamboo I think your're wrong as I had an oiler for a courtesy car last Monday. It wasn't slow by any means, but it isn't as quick as my 250 SE-L auto, especially with the ECT button on. Official figures also back this up:

IS 250 - 2.5 L V6, 204 hp (152 kW), rear wheel drive IS250 6-speed automatic: 0-60 8.1 seconds; top speed 141 mph; combined mpg: 31.0; CO2 emissions: 214 g/km (Band F petrol: £165pa VED), Emissions Group Euro IV. Insurance 13E – 14E.

IS220d 6-speed manual: 0-60 8.6 seconds; top speed 134 mph; combined mpg: 44.8; CO2 emissions: 168 g/km (Band E diesel: £160pa VED), Emissions Group Euro IV, Insurance 12E – 13E. <LI>IS 220d - 2.2 L Inline-4, 175 hp (130 kW), rear wheel drive, manual transmission only

IMHO Jamboo I think your're wrong as I had an oiler for a courtesy car last Monday. It wasn't slow by any means, but it isn't as quick as my 250 SE-L auto, especially with the ECT button on. Official figures also back this up:

IS 250 - 2.5 L V6, 204 hp (152 kW), rear wheel drive IS250 6-speed automatic: 0-60 8.1 seconds; top speed 141 mph; combined mpg: 31.0; CO2 emissions: 214 g/km (Band F petrol: £165pa VED), Emissions Group Euro IV. Insurance 13E – 14E.

IS220d 6-speed manual: 0-60 8.6 seconds; top speed 134 mph; combined mpg: 44.8; CO2 emissions: 168 g/km (Band E diesel: £160pa VED), Emissions Group Euro IV, Insurance 12E – 13E. <LI>IS 220d - 2.2 L Inline-4, 175 hp (130 kW), rear wheel drive, manual transmission only

I think the 220d will be quicker when overtaking (50-70) but I have no proof to back this up. The 220d feels quicker overtaking than my previous IS300.

I think the 220d will be quicker when overtaking (50-70) but I have no proof to back this up. The 220d feels quicker overtaking than my previous IS300.

If we had dyno charts for both then we'd know. Anyone got them??? :unsure:

Well Jamboo was pretty much agreeing with those figures - he said IS250 possibly quicker to 60 but once on the move the prodigious torque of a diesel engine will be an advantage.

Well Jamboo was pretty much agreeing with those figures - he said IS250 possibly quicker to 60 but once on the move the prodigious torque of a diesel engine will be an advantage.

Not possibly, it definitely is. Are you also saying the turbo isn't working during the run up to 60 mph :duh:

Tango, agreed -it is when you dash to 60, but it doesn't stay in the Torque sweet spot for long, that's why it's not maybe as fast as the 250.

When you ovetake, however, the Auto is defo quick in ECT, no question, but you have to plant it to the floor, the oiler on the other hand can be gentler but at least as quick if not quicker (assuming you are in the correct gear and rev bands).

I'd still have the Auto any day...

The 220D has a lot more torque so it doesn't suffer a lot from the marginal drop in hp when overtaking. I would really like to see the dyno charts for the two just for comparison.

The 220D I had as a courtesy car made me appreciate the smoothness of the 6 cylinder V6 as well as the ML system, the Bluetooth connection and the memory seats etc.

..and I couldn't live with that single sooty exhaust pipe :D .

My cars returning 30+ mpg now so I'm also (reasonably) happy to pay for the 99 octane :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links