Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is250 Tyres

If you are looking for new tyres for an IS250 (17") and are looking for Dunlop Sport Maxx, then be careful of the type you put on.

My car came with factory fitted 225/45 R17 90W at the fronts. I need new ones, so search for replacements.

It is very difficult to find these tyres, but came across loads of Y & ZR Rated tyres. After a few phone call, including a few to Lexus and one to Dunlop, it turns out that it is not wise to fit Y or ZR tyres to an IS250 as it will mess up the ride, and could severly affect the handling.

Just out of interest, i called Kwik-Fit :duh: and asked for a price for 225/45 R17 90W and was told, yeah we have them and they are £155 each. I double checked with him that these were 90W rated, but they were ZR rated. He insisted that they would be OK, and said that Lexus and dunlop were speaking rubbish. He then offered me the 90W at £173 each, but within 2 mins this price fell to £130.00 :duh:

So beware guys, make sure you get the 90W type, and don't be talked into putting another type (Y/ZR) on your car.

Hope the info is of help to some of you.

Darren

PS etyres.co.uk can do Dunlop Sport Maxx 225/45 R17 90W fully fitted for £115.90, but no stock until Mid Jan

So what's the 90W mean as opposed to the Y/Z which I assume are speed ratings?

If I read dunlop website W means up to 168 mph, 90 means load of 600kg. ZR is over 150 mph, Y is up to 168 mph.

So is the 90W to ensure the load is OK? I take this is weight of the car?

Just trying to understand as I will need some replacements in a couple of thousand miles and on the old IS ZR was OK if I remember.

Kwick fit are muppets, don't listen to them. Ive had wrong tyres put on I dont know how many times! find a nice local garage and you may find they'll match thier prices or come close enough.

Dunlop told me that the 90 was to do with the load rating and something to do with the sidewall of the tyre. They did tell me in full detail, but I can't remember it all, but the important thing i remember was he told me I should not fit the a ZR or Y tyre to an IS250 as the ride will become "jumpy"

I have ordered them from Lexus Brighton, as they have given me a very good price (maybe something to do with all the rattle problems i have had, which they are still trying to fix) hopefully they should be in tomorrow morning, and I can get them fitted tomorrow afternoon

Not really related to this topic specifically, but I got new rears recently from etyres (www.etyres.co.uk). Not only were they much cheaper than Kwik-Fit et al, but having placed an order via their website on a Sunday evening, they were fitted at home by a mobile fitter (nice bloke too) by lunchtime on the Monday.

Recommended...

Mike

If you are looking for new tyres for an IS250 (17") and are looking for Dunlop Sport Maxx, then be careful of the type you put on.

My car came with factory fitted 225/45 R17 90W at the fronts. I need new ones, so search for replacements.

It is very difficult to find these tyres, but came across loads of Y & ZR Rated tyres. After a few phone call, including a few to Lexus and one to Dunlop, it turns out that it is not wise to fit Y or ZR tyres to an IS250 as it will mess up the ride, and could severly affect the handling.

Just out of interest, i called Kwik-Fit :duh: and asked for a price for 225/45 R17 90W and was told, yeah we have them and they are £155 each. I double checked with him that these were 90W rated, but they were ZR rated. He insisted that they would be OK, and said that Lexus and dunlop were speaking rubbish. He then offered me the 90W at £173 each, but within 2 mins this price fell to £130.00 :duh:

So beware guys, make sure you get the 90W type, and don't be talked into putting another type (Y/ZR) on your car.

Hope the info is of help to some of you.

Darren

PS etyres.co.uk can do Dunlop Sport Maxx 225/45 R17 90W fully fitted for £115.90, but no stock until Mid Jan

Well finally got the new fronts tyres fitted. Got them to Check the rears as well, and they have still got 4mm tread on both sides.

So, all in all not to bad considering my mileage, got 30k out of the fronts, and should get about 40k out of the rears.

The dunlops are much better than the bridgestones I had fitted to my IS200, where i used to get about 18k per tyre.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links