Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Web Help Needed

Parthiban

Obviously an odd(ish) topic for a car forum, but there are some great IT minds on here so hopefully someone will be able to help :)

Basically I need to setup a website that ideally needs to go live in a few weeks but I have no idea where to even begin. I need everything from getting a web address, getting space to put the site up, putting the actual site together, the whole works!

I'm reasonably computer literate, but when its comes to web stuff like HTML, I'm totally lost. Are there good places I can read up on how to put all this together, and will it not actually be too difficult to do all this?

Alternatively, is it possible to have all this done for me at reasonable cost? And what sort of ballpark figure could I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

If you have a Mac you could use iWeb, although they are basic sites or try and get a copy of Dream Weaver. You might even have front page on your pc which you can make web pages on.

Getting domain names is easy. their is lots of sites that sell them. Just put in domain names in google search and it lists loads of companies.

Cheers Kazi, just did a search and does seem surprisingly easy to find a domain. All the different companies also appear to host sites, and the costs don't seem too bad, but how do you know which ones are any good?

I think I have frontpage on my pc but not sure, I'll check when I get home. So is that like publisher or something for creating a webpage? Does that also mean I won't actually have to use any code then?

I use some very easy to use and free software called E107, its a dynamic website, with forums and user log in etc. It's hosted with this company www.powweb.com which for 6 dollars offers more than you will need for your first website. they use an easy to use web interface for setting everything up and you can install the e107 or lots of other web packages from the user interface. I think they were also offering a free web domain too so for your 6 dollars a month you get everything you need to be up and running in 10 mins. if you would like to look at 2 of my sites I run using the E107 software then here they are.

www.xbox3sixty.co.uk and www.xl100.co.uk

I've used 1&1 a lot in the past, they're pretty cheap for hosting packages www.1and1.co.uk never really used them in anger though as we've always done our own internal hosting everywhere I've worked!

The place I'm at now does a bit of both with the external hosting done by www.plus.net

Ever hear of http://www.metserve.com/

surely Scarface would sort it all for you :winky:

Cheers Noel, cheque is in the post ;)

Parthiban, send us a PM of what it is exactly you are after ......... and I'm sure we could come to a deal ;)

You could have your site up and running in no time :)

Cheers.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links