Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help

I bought a private plate for my EX G/F couple of years ago (No longer with her)

Everything was in my name etc plate but the plate was for her (S888GEM) and it was put on her car.

Was searching through my room the other night and i found the receipt for it.

So who owns the plate is it the car or the person who bought it

Thanks

Andrew

I think it belongs to the car mate, ie it's on the V5 document so you'd have to pay to get it off and transferred or retained.

If you've parted in bad ways I'd probably just leave her with it to be honest, odds are it'd cause grief between you both, at the end of the day is it worth the hassle?

The plate actually belongs to the DVLA, you pay for the right to display it on your car. If the car is in her name then she will have to sign it over to you, nothing you can do im afraid

The person who's name was on the Credit Card, will also have received a certificate... like an entitlement to the number.

If it was on YOUR credit card, or any bank card which was placed by you, then YOU own it.

I think they call it the "Certificate of Entitlement"

You can own multiple registrations, and have them assigned to vehicles that you do not own.

Ownership of the plate still remains yours (AFAIK)

The person who's name was on the Credit Card, will also have received a certificate... like an entitlement to the number.

If it was on YOUR credit card, or any bank card which was placed by you, then YOU own it.

I think they call it the "Certificate of Entitlement"

You can own multiple registrations, and have them assigned to vehicles that you do not own.

Ownership of the plate still remains yours (AFAIK)

ye i paid for it on my CC

Always thought that plate was owned by car that it is on (i.e whose name is on the log book) otherwise you could sell your car to someone with p plate and two years later claim it back because you have the reciept

AFAIK, when a plate is assigned when the vehicle is currently owned, the certificate of entitlement belongs to the person who paid for it.

Once the car is sold, the certificate of entitlement is also sold with it, and is stated on the log book to belong to the new owner.

I think this topic might be one for the automotive lawyers on the board. But I do believe you may claim the plate back and have the old number re-assigned if the vehicle has not been sold onto a third party. Of course you will require the signature of the person named on the log book (probably not what you want to hear?)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links