Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing My Gs For An Is

Glenn

Hi Forum, this is the first time in ages I have been on here but plan to visit more often :backofnet:

I have just changed my beloved 1999 GS300 SE for a 2001 IS300 and I am still not convinced I have done the right thing :unsure: I was wondering what you guys think to this change?? They are both fantastic cars but what I am confused about is the official performance figures etc. On paper they look to have almost the same 0-60 times and so on, but I had to have a spin in the IS300 just to see for myself. Well you can guess what happened, I drove one and then bought it on the spot!! Don't know if it's just because the IS is a smaller car but too me it feels much quicker than the GS.

I would be interested to hear your views and opinions.

Cheers

Glenn

When I took my IS200 in recently, they gave me a new GS300 for the day. Today I have an IS300 SportCross for a test drive as I'm thinking of trading up to one. The IS feels marginally quicker, but I'd guess this is as most people say, down to it being a slightly smaller/lighter car. In the final reckoning I reckon it'd be no more than 0.2s or so difference in the 0-60 dash.

The IS is a sweet car on the outside, but I have to say, the interior of the GS300 they lent me was waaaaaaaayyy better than the IS interior. I loved the neat unobtrusive switches, and the intergrated touch-screen sat nav. Did make the IS setup look 'fussy'. ;)

It's entirely "each to his own".

I had a GS300-II as a courtesy car for a week last summer, and hated it. The interior is fabulous in comparison to the IS, but I actually found the touch screen fussy, and hard to read whilst driving. The suspension made me feel sea sick too ;)

The two cars need a very different driving style, and therefore appeal to different types of driver. However, they are both are very reliable, reasonably quick, very comfortable to waft up and down the motorway in, fairly exclusive, and despite Rod's comments, the IS300 has pretty much every toy the GS has :angry:

If you like it - you made the right decision. That's what it comes down to :D

A

UK, I won't critisize the Sportcross and you know why, I like the GS300 or 430, never drive it one but my dealer will let me try one in a few (as he saw my sell add, he started to react).

Just one thing, seeing your icon, and if your ride bikes like me, you should enjoy more the IS rather than the GS.

- IS is smaller and maybe more reactive than the GS

- GS is surely much more confortable, interior is way superior (love the leather on side doors)

- IS300 & GS300 same engine, a bit more poneys for the GS

- IS300 should be faster in twisted roads / GS should be faster in highway

- GS430 much more poneys :)

Thanks for all your views chaps, it's too late now the deal is done. Handed a nice big cheque over to Lexus Stockport :(

I suppose the best thing to do would be to keep the GS too :whistling: Wish I could afford to do that!!!

Anyway, is anyone interested in buying a 1999 GS300 SE Astral Black, Pembroke Nappa Leather, 12months MOT 5 months Tax, full Lexus service history, 41000 miles from new, mint condition. I am looking for around £15000.

Glenn

gaw13@btinternet.com

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links