Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The front cigar lighter is not working, in that when I plug in my phone charger the light on the charger does not come.

It works in both the rear lighter sockets, I located the fuse box and have checked both front and rear lighter fuses and they are ok.

I must assume that the front socket is either broken or the wiring is damaged.

How can I remove the front ash tray/lighter assembly to check the socket and wiring, has anyone done this ?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hi,

If the fuses are ok then it is probably a case of broken wire connection. A common weak point on the front socket of the 95+ LS400s is the socket wire when you have to push the ashtray and it slowly swivels open. Overtime this swiveling action gently tugs and bends the wire connection behind the socket and it needs to be re-connected if the conducter inside the sleaving is broken.

To ge the ashtray out I think you have to remove the whole centre walnut trim. I will try to see how this is taken out. I plan to remove mine to clean the gap in between the walnut wood and the centre console edges.

You have to remove the wood surrounding the gear lever first.

Pry it up just a bit at the back with a thin flat blade, when it releases slide it back from under two clips.

Pry the ashtray at the top, put tape on the tool so you don't mark it.

As soon as it comes forward off its clips, pull straight toward you.

All clever stuff!! :shifty:

• 7 years later...

Can somebody help as regards a Mk11 removal of ash tray. I've taken away the shifter wood panel but I don't think that the ash tray "drawer" as such can be removed to expose any screws? Tried pulling whole unit holding base area and nothing happens. also, read something about putting key into "ACC" which I scratch my head over as I don't want live to the cigar lighter whilst trying to extract the whole unit.

Can't get a credit card between the top of the unit and radio so stumped for the moment. Anyone taken out a Mk11 can advise?

Seemed like a good day to do this job having replaced the Hazard Warning bulb!

Thanks

Stuart

Stuart hi , if I remember correctly from doing my MK2 cig lighter repair, the procedure is pretty much as Roy says in his post .

Put the gear shift in low and pull with two hands on the ash tray ,should just pop out . Dont know why you would need the key turned to the ACC position either .

Good luck

• Like 1

Thanks Rupert, I just can't be tugging hard enough.Not eating sufficient Spinach these days!

Recall in my Merc that you got to two screws after removing the drawer, which was removed like the powder dispenser on a washing machine.

This I guess is held by spring clips similar to the Air vent, which was also a good tug to get it to come free.

Tomorrow is another day.

Nice to finally get this job and the Car seat fixed. Whilst its fresh in my mind, I will mention that tugging it just didn't free it, so I ended up using two of my numerous out of date plastic flexible friends to just create a gap between it and the Radio. Leaving about an inch from each side into which I put a screwdriver head and carefully levered and out it came, much to my relief. Repaired by removing (asbestos?) washer, put back together and checked continuity to see the centre was not touching the sides anywhere, and as they say jobs a good un. Did need to lever upward the inner positive grip part each side, as lighter was not clcking into lock position. Hey presto and the lighter jumped right out of the tray and onto the wood veneer. No damage, and won't be lighting anything but using for double USB. Mind you I could do with a nice Joya de Nicaragua Cigar right now to calm my nerves!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links