Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Really Appreciate Your Help....

Rob's Lexx

Hi all,

i fitted mintex front and rear discs and pads over the weekend and all has been well apart from the rear left brake. i have been havving a tap tap tap noise that seems to rattle when hitting potholes etc. however, when braking, there is no noise at all......

after taking the wheel off and investigating, i found there is a fair amount of play in the pads whilst sitting in the caliper. basically, they seem to move up and down quite easily and are obviously responsible for the tapping type noise. this obviously fits in with what i have experienced....so how do i resolve the issue??

it seems strange that there is also only one pin that hold the pads and not two :unsure:

is there a shim type kit that will help 'fill the gap' and stabilise the pad?

any help greatly appreciated

cheers

rob

hmmm, there was not spring loaded shim anywhere i don't think.

literally just the one pin and a clip at the end of it to hold it in place. then there was just room to slot the pads in....noting on top of it though....

hmmm, there was not spring loaded shim anywhere i don't think.

literally just the one pin and a clip at the end of it to hold it in place. then there was just room to slot the pads in....noting on top of it though....

Hi, there is a clip thingy(anti squeel clip) thats fits over the pads underneath the caliper if this is missing then they will rattle, I know because mines missing and I can't get one anywhere apart from Lex who can only sell me it as part of a kit for £20 odd quid.

the inner and outer anti squeal shims.....are they actually fitted to 2000 IS200 as standard as i didn't think they were!!

i am deffo missing the spring that goes at the top though!!! think thats my problem..... why is it called an anti squeal spring though??

wonder how much that will cost from lexus - for two i presume, one each side :crybaby:

yep, they must have not been on from the start then as they weren't there when i removed the caliper!!

i presume its just 2 i have to order....one for the rear left wheel and one for the rear right??

could anyone clarify whether i should have the anti squeal inner and outer shims??

cheers for all your help

rob

Have you still got the old pads? The inner and outer shims may be stuck to them.

hmmm, will have to look in the morning, but either way it looks like i need the top spring told hold them in place as thats what's causing the rattling.....

cheers for your help mate, and fluff :)

will i need these anti squeal shims then?? what exactly do they do?

they help stop squeal... would be nice to have them in but if ur not having probs apart from the rattle,... but going by what other have said u get a kit that has all the shims etc in

will i need these anti squeal shims then?? what exactly do they do?

As the name says the are there to reduce squeal or "squeeky" brakes, AFAIK they create 3 different layers between the pistons and the pads reducing the effective movement between the two in each layer, if that makes sense. Also coppaslip lubricates the surfaces further helping the small movements to happen, by nature the pads will "grip and slip" many times a second as you brake this vibration comes out as noise. TBH lack of then won't stop the brakes working.

The pad movement causing the rattle is prevented by the spring action of the "anti squeal spring", that holds the pads in the correct radial position when no brake pressure is on.

Beat me to it Fluff :D

Edited by MacRS200

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly off topic (sorry) but Rob - nice image you posted. Where does that come from? IS200 service CD or something?

I know there is the lexus tech website, is it easy to order service CD from them, and if so, is it any good and are there many different ones or just one covering it all??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links