Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Annoying Rattle

Andy-R

Over the past 2 weeks my IS has developed an annoying rattle/knock, it only happens going round bends at lowish speeds but I can feel it through the accelarator pedal, it feels like something is stuck to one of my tyres but there fine, i've had the car jacked up and took all the covers off the bottom to check the engine mounts, balljoints, bushers, track rod ends, steering rack, gear box, and so on everything seems fine, could it just be warped tyres or is there something i've missed? it's really annoying any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

I have a similar problem. Mine is from the front right, occurs when going around a left hand bend, over a few bumps and often when going down hill :unsure:

Sometimes It doesnt happen. If I leave the car facing up the drive over night,on a slight incline I can reverse off and drive to work (7 miles)before it slowly kicks in.

If I park it facing down the drive it will knock from the start. The knock has a distinctive sound, almost 'metallic' (metal on metal) rather than a thump..sounds like something loose but I cant find anything neither can Lexus...

I have a similar problem. Mine is from the front right, occurs when going around a left hand bend, over a few bumps and often when going down hill :unsure:

Sometimes It doesnt happen. If I leave the car facing up the drive over night,on a slight incline I can reverse off and drive to work (7 miles)before it slowly kicks in.

If I park it facing down the drive it will knock from the start. The knock has a distinctive sound, almost 'metallic' (metal on metal) rather than a thump..sounds like something loose but I cant find anything neither can Lexus...

MInes more like a thump it feels like somethings loose and knocking about but I can't find anything. I'll give pushing the splash gaurd back a try. Are the disks supposed to be loose and held in place by the wheel rather than secured any other way maybe i've got the wrong disks.

Just tried pushing the splash gaurd back but it's stil the same, can feel it through the accelarator pedal and slightly through the steering, seems worse when the cars warm, I think i'll get my tyres checked make sure there ok.

the Lexus mechanic who drove mine ,whilst trying to diagnose my problem, stated a worn /faulty shock absorber makes a noise more like a 'thump '..just a thought ref your noise :question:

the Lexus mechanic who drove mine ,whilst trying to diagnose my problem, stated a worn /faulty shock absorber makes a noise more like a 'thump '..just a thought ref your noise :question:

Have you had your shocks changed if so did that cure it?

No..he made a point of discounting the shocks being the problem on mine stating they would make a 'thumping noise' if faulty..hence I wonder if that could be your problem

my knocking is still a mystery,Ive got new front ball joints,new discs and pads and Im wondering if its related to the brakes...also a mechanic at my place of work mentioned could be track rod ends?

it goes back in to Lexus for 2 days so they can sort

No..he made a point of discounting the shocks being the problem on mine stating they would make a 'thumping noise' if faulty..hence I wonder if that could be your problem

my knocking is still a mystery,Ive got new front ball joints,new discs and pads and Im wondering if its related to the brakes...also a mechanic at my place of work mentioned could be track rod ends?

it goes back in to Lexus for 2 days so they can sort

ok cheers i'll get the shocks checked but i'm hoping it's something stupid and cheap.

Shocks are fine had the tyres checked and balanced there fine, any suggestions now would be a big help, seems to happen when the wheels are turned but it's not there when going straight, i'm going to strip it down a bit further on Friday(If it's not raining) but it's really doing my head in now.

Just got back from the garage with no joy everthing is as it should be, the only thing I can think of now is wheel bearings, other than that i'm stumped.

N/S front wheel bearing, got it done today noise all gone at last

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links