Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Phone Kits

First may I say that as of tommorow I will receive my first ever Lexus, IS200SE.

I have seen several posts regarding the availability or not as the case may be of an audio mute function for phone kits, I am having my Nokia 6210 kit fitted to my new IS on Tuesday and they have supplied a mute lead.

Hi Chris,

I have sent you a note in Gold with details of how my car kit is installed. Unfortunately I don't have the mute option fitted in my car kit and as far as I know (or what I have been told) you can't get the kit working with the mute in an IS200.

I maybe wrong...feel free to correct me :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

an easy way round this problem is to use a relay. cut the ignition/accessory wire to the stereo, and put on side of the cut wire on to pin 87, and the other on 87a. put the mute wire from the phone kit onto 85 and 12volts on 86, and voila, you have a phone mute!!!

If you do that, why not put another relay (or use a single multi throw C/O type) and switch out the rear speakers and switch in the phone as well.

That's what I'll be doing on mine if I ever get the time..........

Yep - that's why I suggested a different relay. You will have to break into the speaker wiring and connect the common side of the relay to the speakers and normally closed side to the amp. Connect the phone output to the normally open side of the relay, so when it switches, the speakers will switch out of the amp and connect the phone.

As soon as I can get the wiring diagram (which I'll have in a couple of days) I'll let you know the connections.

e.g.

Phone output-------------o

Speaker____________/ relay

AMP-------------------------o

the amp on the phone kit wouldnt be able to drive the car speakers, i take it you mean cutting the line levels inputs to the lexus amp. in which case, you can just use 2 normal 5 pin relays, and use the diagram at the top of the page to do this. if you intend to use the car kit amp, good luck, it wont do much. u can get a phone kit op amp, which will sufficiently drive the 2 front speakers. if there is enough people who wanna do this, i can do a diagram and post it here if ya like.

I have to disagree with you one this one. I've done it on nearly every car I've had. The Nokia car kits (cark-xx series) will easily drive the speakers directly, as will most. (I've done it for friends also on Ericson car kits)

The output level is way above line level. Temporarily run the output of the car kit directly to one of the speakers in the car and listen for yourself. (You MUST disconnect the feed from the amp. while testing)

If you were to put it onto the input side of the amp you would at the least need an attenuator or have the volume way down close to nothing on the phone because the level is too high.

You can actually buy the lead for this from http://www.dashmount.co.uk/ which has no amp. But you can easily construct your own.

On another note - for users performing this to save confusion - the pin connections given - 85,86,87,87a are only for Bosch relays (or equiv.) so just check the connections if you are using a different manufacturer. (especially some of the relays at Maplins)

The disadvantage is that you don't hear the keytones from the keypad. The mute doesn't kick in until you are making a call.

I have had no joy running 2 speakers off a handsfree kit amp, but if you say it works, I have no argument. Must just be my luck. Indeed there are downsides to this method of muting, but if you do not wish to change your head unit for a mutable one, this is the only option that I know of. Yeah there are some relays that have different configuration numbers, but that configuration is the most common. Glad there is someone here who is clued up to on this sort of stuff, must have a chat. Are you comin to Gaydon geoffers??

No, unfortunately I can't make Gaydon this time round. Annoying thing is I've been working between Oxford and London on contract so it wouldn't have been that far. Been away from home quite a bit lately so I'll have to give it a miss.

I have quite a few ideas on the go at the moment - the main one being the mirror closure which I completed at the weekend and will be posting here shortly. (Just need to neaten everything up - you know what it's like when you're prototyping!). Next is the full closure.

You have any ideas on the go?

hundreds!!!! the boot in mine, has not even begun yet, it is all working, but cosmetically Sh**e!!! The idea is to do it completley out of glass with a colourcoded backing! Still working with a glass factory to get the glass panels bent correctly!!

Guys, there have been a number of threads similar to this one, I have a car kit for my Nokia 6310i, it has the mute lead and is connected to the cars speakers, I have no idea how it all fixes up as I didn't do it myself, but the people who fitted it are at security world and quite helpful, I am sure if you contacted them they will be able to assist

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links