Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quanan Parking Sensors

Wildrnes.......thanks very much for the offer of help, but in the end it went very smoothly so I did not need to ring.

It took me an awful lot longer than 2hours, but I was being very fussy about the whole thing.

VERY happy with the sensors themselves and the way they work, the only downside is that the lacquer I used to spray the sensors came out a little lumpy, so doesn't look quite perfect, and a bit of glue squirted out the side of the middle sensor, so it has a small ring around it. I shall try and sort both aspects though.

I mounted the display in the ash tray. Took the actual tray out, mounted the display at the back of it, and had my mum (thanks mum!!!) line the rest of the tray with black felt so it's now a money holder.

all in all......well chuffed, and would recommend to many people.

....the beep is a bit annoying though!!!

Just a quick thanks too to those who answered questions I had before I went ahead and fitted - a great help.

Tony

I have no pics at the moment, but might be able to get some done at lunch and if I can i'll post.

It was (relatively) simple to get it in the ash tray.

take out the ash tray itself

pull up the whole gear stick cover/platform bit the runs from under hand brake to under radio (it just pulls up, no screws or anything). but dont life it all the way over the gear knob.

slightly (i.e. dont break it!) turn it upside down and you can see two screws underneath where the ash tray was. Undo them and you have enough leverage to fit the connector through, then do them back up (because it's only the thing cable you have going through the ash tray).

Then run the cable underneath the steering wheel, and then through the normal route back to the boot.

If I can find someone with a camera, I'll post a pic this lunchtime, if not, I'll do it over the weekend for you.

Looks quite good though, though I haven't finally mounted it yet cos I wanted to see how useable/good it looked there, but I think I will.

dont worry - I was really careful !!!

Understand what you mean though.....but it fit through just perfect (you'll see what I mean if you pull up that gear stick cover etc - it's fair spacious down there.

Though do be careful of that big silver thing with all the wires coming off it underneath where the radio is......that's the airbag sensor !!!

oh sorry, i see what you mean.

I completely took the ash tray out, as in not put it back again (I do smoke, but NEVER EVER EVER in my car). The width of the hole for the ash tray is PERFECT for the width of the display. Conseqeuntly, the wire's go back behind and dont come out over the top (so it looks very neat as well).

As I say, I have some black felt to put in there just to tidy it up a bit and to stop money rattling (cos that's what I'm going to use it as).

Tony?

don't suppose you fancy typing it up as instructions, with pictures etc?

We could put it in the workshop - this and Vince's "How fit Quanan Sensors" article - would compliment each other perfectly!

Perhaps you and Matt W could collaborate on it?

Let me know if you need any help with hosting photos, creating article etc?

Darn it......

When doing the job I thought shall I take pictures etc, but because such a good article had already been written I didn't bother.

HOWEVER........what I can do is "re-do" the display in the ash tray bit, as that really didn't take long. And then of course I could show the route of the cable to the back. All with pics.

I'll get some pictures done this weekend (all things being equal, time etc) and write the article.

Matt - if I send you the article and pics could you host it for me somewhere!? I dont know how to do pictures on this site as I dont have anywhere to host it.

Glad I can be of help to be honest :)

Matt - if I send you the article and pics could you host it for me somewhere!? I dont know how to do pictures on this site as I dont have anywhere to host it.

Tony

if you send me the pictures and the article in Word or something like that - I'll sort the picture upload etc, and send you back the forum code to put up a nice workshop article.

You can then post that to the Workshop forum - and I'll add links between your article and Vinces.

Should be a really useful set of articles

:D

geoffers put that drill away man

lookink into the boot on right hand side remove the wheel arch carpet bit you will see a big hole with lots of wires going through run round to back seat grab same side corner of the back part of seat :duh: and pull it back hey presto the other side of the hole

also use a conical drill bit to do the bumper smoother hole ;)

Am I understanding the question right?

TO get the wires from the sensors to the inside of the car, I drilled a hole through the chassis.

Take the spare wheel out, then drill a hole back right as you're looking at it from outside the boot, then just ensure that you seal with silicone or equivalent. You want about 10mm hole.

Hope that makes sense. Take a look at the workshop article written, that explains it quite well I think (sorry dont have link to hand)

I've done loads of pics of my display install and such like, so will write the article this lunchtime (all things being equal) and hopefully it will be up soon

Tony

I started installing mine yesterday (only got the sensors in because I started late but quick test and really pleased).

Wilderness is dead right If you take the light custer out, you will see a nice big gap to behind the bumpers where you can bring the wires underneath the cluster itself, then you can pass them through the same grommet that the lighting wires pass through.

Cheers Wilderness - I was going to drill too!

Tony - I'm sure if you've put a grommet in to stop the wires shafing and sealed it ok, you won't have any problems. (Actually with enough sealant it will act as a grommet anyway.) This is exactly what I was going to do.

Yup...sorry, see what you guys mean now !!

I fed the power and earth cables through the rear light grommit, but didn't think of running the sensor wires through there as well. As I say, I drilled a hole on the side of the spare wheel impression, and then sealed it with silicon (which will also prevent the wires rubbing).

I've written the article, I have asked Matt for help with uploading the pictures and once that's done it shall be posted.

Just how useful are these sensors? I must admit I've never tried them, but if their minimum indication of distance is 14" - well I can usually judge that for myself. What I need is a system that will guide me down to less than 6" away when required perhaps? (he says, setting himself up for a reversing mishap :unsure: )

True, I'm not dissing them per se, it's just the distance they operate down to that gets me. I think they would come into their own if you were trapped front and back by closely-parked cars and needed to do some close up manoevering; so 6" would be nice :blush: .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links