Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Performance Chip +20bhp ?

Hi,

Just wanted to ask is it safe to buy and install these mod chips to make ur car faster? I see them all over the place on eBay etc and they look genuine with their guarantees etc etc.

Does this mess up your engine?

Also does it alrite to use gears 1-3 on an is200 AUTO SE for more power? I always change it just before the needle is about to hit the red mark?

Yeah im a bit bored, i keep wishing i bought it in manual, maybe it would have been faster, then again i keep wishing i bought the is300. Overall i love the car, just wish i could go bit faster. As it is a 2litre engine, it doesnt really feel like it, it is nippy and has good power but when it comes to taking on an old 3 series then it just puts u to shame:(

As far as im aware the bhp chip they sell is a maplins 49p resistor!

can't quite remember what it does but its something like making your ecu think it is taking in more air so puts more fuel into the engine, it probably will give more bhp but i wouldn't risk it on my car and im sure most people wouldn't bother.

im sure someone on here will be able to let you know exactlt what the 49p resistor does! :unsure:

Jason :P

It replaces your air intake sensor, making your ecu think the airs colder than it is so it makes the ECU chuck more fuel in,

Kind of like on a cold winters morning when your car feels faster.

Will NEVER give you 20bhp if it even gives you 1!

Not worth it at all in my honest opinion.

Stav

Thanks for that Jason! :) Yeah a couple of my mates advised me not to either, but i thought id ask you guys.

Ah well, anything else you or anyone can think of that i could do to a 2ltr to make it a lil faster?

Induction kit, exhaust, even a good service i.e new plugs oil etc can help.

Thanks for that Jason! :) Yeah a couple of my mates advised me not to either, but i thought id ask you guys.

Ah well, anything else you or anyone can think of that i could do to a 2ltr to make it a lil faster?

All depends on how much faster?!?!?

if you wan't a little bit more i would do the easy things like induction, exhaust, manifold etc

Or then you have more expensive with supercharger.

or then end of scale with turbocharge, engine transplant :shifty:

I have induction, exhaust and am planning stainless manifold eventually. the way i see it is that the IS was never made for perfomance and it costs stupid money to get it alot quicker so i don't bother. when i eventually crave more speed im going for a Aristo :whistling:

all that sounds gud but can i do that to an automatic?! and to a 2 litre engine?! some people sed not to do it a 2ltre, its best to do with 3ltr?

Im thinkin abt the induction kit, you think ill notice a difference if i get that?

all that sounds gud but can i do that to an automatic?! and to a 2 litre engine?! some people sed not to do it a 2ltre, its best to do with 3ltr?

Im thinkin abt the induction kit, you think ill notice a difference if i get that?

Mines a 2 litre and its fine!

in my opinion the 3 litre lex is already pretty rapid anyway!

I noticed a slight difference when i did induction kit on mine, its more the sound that you notice and it could be because it sounds louder you think its going quicker. They say that it will give you more power and the standard airbox's are usually pretty restrictive anyway!

Stainless exhaust, i noticed a slight difference again with this, again it could be deemed phycilogical because of the sound but i personally think it helps. only slightly mind you.

You should be fine doing these, even on an automatic. there are several members on here that have supercharged automatics with no problems at all!

As said the 49p resistor is connected to make the ECU think that more air is going into the engine than is actually happening, this makes the ECU inject more fuel. However the O2 sensor will detect low oxygen in the exhaust and cut the fuel back again so no gain. Unless the engine is cold or you run on WOT (Wide Open Throttle) all the time.

Apart from that more fuel just gives you a "rich" mixture, above that for a full and efficient burn of the fuel going in, so a waste of petrol. Give the engine more air e.g. free the induction, the ECU will put in more fuel at the correct ratio and you will get a little more power.

As for the e-bay guarantee, read it carefully and it will say "UP TO 20 BHP", so anything from 0 - 20 is within the claim. I will guarantee 0.

Supercharger, Supercharger, Supercharger, Supercharger, Supercharger, Supercharger,

Supercharger, Supercharger, Supercharger, Supercharger, Supercharger, Supercharger,

Supercharger, Supercharger, Supercharger, Supercharger, Supercharger, Supercharger

costs more than £20 tho

:winky:

hahahahaha thanks for the cheeky and informative replies, i enjoyed that! soz for my late response, ive hardly been at my pc lately. I got pulled up on sat nite for my tinted windows by traffic cops in town, i was like f....!! got a 30 quid fine, but no points or anything, he sed if it was 20% or below then it wud be 3 points an 60quid fine an some probation crap. Mine is 35% at front. Got away with it for over a year, first time ive been pulled up by cops, was embarassing as it was a sat nite in the middle of city centre.

Supercharger? hmmm I think ill need to take a loan out for that f**ker lol I mite consider the induction kit. Hmmm.... Btw thanks for the info on that stupid mod chip, sounded too gud to be true anyway, just wanted to know what it is an that.

**** the supercharger mate, thats old hat.. Turbocharger is the way foward :winky:

Turbocharger is the way to much bigger bills and much bigger headaches Aidie :winky:

No its not mate, I've never had any problems :unsure: Well worth it :lol:

Turbo-lots of work involved and so more expensive(running costs fuel wise are higher)

supercharger-4/6 hour fitting once and never need to look at it again(you can expect better mpg when driving normally)

supercharger all the way

however if you want a turbo car,id just purchase one that has left the factory with one,ie evo/skyline.remember when you hit turbo levels of power you also need a car that can handle,not one that will die on a high speed corner.

Rsarin, u make a very gud point. Lexus are rear wheel drives, turbo would be like a death wish suppose. Even normal without turbo it still slips/drifts on bends, that is wen the roads are wet, i tend to go very slow but very rarely it can jst slide slowly, ive been lucky i managed to control it wenever it has happend, its just so dangerous duno why they make rear wheel drive cars. I am actually considering to maybe sell my car an go for something that is a turbo diesel in a front wheel drive or something i duno yet.

Nothing wrong with rear wheel drive cars or rear wheel drive cars with turbos. What about a Supra. Also it's down to the driver whether there will be any problems with spinning etc. Also if you fit a turbo to an IS then you're going to uprate the handling anyway. Coilovers, anti roll bars and Racelogic traction control!!!

i think rear wheel drive cars are harder to drive than a front wheel drive car,but a rear wheel car is loads more rewarding.What im trying to say is that no matter how much you turbo mod a std luxury car,it will never be the same animal as a turbo'd car that has left the factory with the intention of being a performance car.This is why i say its cheaper and easier to buy an evo(4wd) car and then mod that.If you have lots of money/time/interest then a turbo is possibly your best route.If you are on a tight budget/have no time/and arent that bothered about mods,other than a bit more power then a supercharger is the best solution.There are only a few people of any auto forum that are heavy engine modders,like adie and a few others,this really isnt for everyone and can lead to lots of complications if not carefully thought out properly.Im not saying that the turbo route is just plain hassle,but if it does turn out to be you need money, time and interest to resolve the issue.

You all make good points, but Rsarin i think your advice is good. I wouldnt like to waste time an money on modding a luxury car.

Ok anyone got any recommendations for a new car, my budget is between 5-6k :-P

This is the problem with my above advice,and i suppose thats why so many IS200's are being modded.Now for the other side of the argument,the IS200 is a great car and although ive just sold my supercharger,after thinking long and hard ive decided not to sell the car,ill keep it std as it's a beautiful car with every single convenience in a luxurious environment.If you are talking about keeping an IS200 as well as spending £6k on a performance car then thats a smart idea in my book,but to sell the IS200 for a performance car could be argued as a foolish idea,considering that with a budget of £6k you'll be looking at subaru impreza's/old evo's,which isnt bad in the performance dept,but in the looks and class dept the subaru impreza has one of the worst interiors on the road today,and it defo aint a beautiful car like the IS200,so there are two major reasons not to do a swap like that.On the other hand if you stretched your buget to an extra £1k there are Civic Type R's available at £7k and they arent too bad on the looks front and the car is a fast hot hatch with great handling and a smart interior.Its certainly not easy deciding on what to do,cos there are quite a few peformance cars to choose from,but they arent the most luxurious places to be on a daily basis.If you go German you can get an awesome machine like an Audi S4 on a 2000 plate with 70k on the clock those are 270hp std,very quick or earlier S3's can be picked up at your budget price,both these cars can be easyily modded especially the S4 cos its a V6 Bi-Turbo,there are folks on PH running these cars with 350hp after spending £3/4k.Modding an IS200 to 270hp,will cost about the same or more than buying the Audi S4 at £7k.The only other reason to be cautious when modding an IS200 is insurance costs,as some of us know modding a car can have a serious effect on your premium and can work out extremely expensive if youre young and or have points/claims etc.BTW are you thinkin of buying a car and running it alongside the IS,or are you looking to sell the IS for a performance car?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links