Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox Issues

I have a 1999 V Reg IS200 SE, which I have just recently purchased from Lexus Newcastle with a 12 month warranty. The problem I have is that for the majority of the times I change from 2nd the 3rd gear I can feel what I believe to be the gear mesh hitting each other. I think that something could be up with the synchro, is this normal for the box on the car or has something gone wrong and I need to get it fixed under the warranty.

Also does the sound system in the Lexus suffer from high Bass distortion? I think that one of my speakers may be damaged, rear pass one.

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Clive Lincoln

i had problems with both my rear speakers . with mine the rear window (before i bought the car) had been smashed and little bits of glass had dropped on to the speaker cones making them distort like hell . off with covers blew the bits out and hey presto .

Hi

My baby to suffers with bad bass..is this common with others, ???? i have to reduce to nearly -5 so that rear passengers can here me with volume normal....

If volume is increased rear windows moves.....

Hi

My baby to suffers with bad bass..is this common with others, ???? i have to reduce to nearly -5 so that rear passengers can here me with volume normal....

If volume is increased rear windows moves.....

Some people pay good money to have that happen :blink:

On the gearbox subject get your dealer to change the gearbox oil, this solved the problem for me and many others.

Hi Clive,

My car is sometimes very notchy in second gear. :ohmy:

I complained to the dealer and the mechanic said it is fine and that I wasn't used to driving with a "sporty" gearbox. :blink: #

Eventually when it was in for a big service they replaced the oil but it is any different. :(

They have mentioned a new clutch but are supposed to be ringing me back to book it in and haven't. Concerned that they will want me to payt for that as the car is very close to the end of its warranty period :yawn:

You are not the only one suffering this problem. I have noticed other posts concerning notchy and difficult gear changes ;)

The problem as see it concerning gear changes is that on going from 1st to 2nd if you pull the gear lever down sharply it will rasp but doing a gentle slide all is well. It is on my IS200. Going from 2nd to 3 rd should not present any problems and if you feel an obstruction and it it does not slide smoothly in then you have sincro problems and I suggest you have a dealer look at it for a second opinion.

This can also be due to the clutch not fully disengaging and can be a sign of a worn release bearing. It could be a sign of a worn synchromesh baulking ring inside the gearbox, but I would be surprised if that was the case. These sort of problems are not really diagnosable remotely. I think taking it to the dealer for a check-up is the wisest move.

I complained to the dealer and the mechanic said it is fine and that I wasn't used to driving with a "sporty" gearbox

I wouldn't accept from the dealer that the gears are meant to be notchy. If you are strugging to engage a gear then you are forcing metal against metal somewhere, and that isn't good no matter which way you cut it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links