Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok, Struggling For Parts.

Skraggy_uk

The front end has started to pitch wobble and roll like mad.

I see that Arnotts in the states do top arms nice and cheap but haven't answered my email about uk shipping.

Who does the best prices for front lower arms?

What else can wear at the front?

What is likley to wear at the backend?

What shocks are advised? I can't seem to find anything for the UCF1* models online in the UK, except for JIC Magics at £1400.

Symptoms are pitching and rolling on corners, bit of a wobble that might be down to wheel balance, terrible diving under braking, but also drifting arround the lane on the motorway.

Advice from friends is

a) Punt it on cheap and run away

b)Scrap it, it was only cheap.

But I like it. It was originally air-suspended, but swapped for coils. The only problem I have with re-installing airbags is that there might be a fault with the rest of the system, but don't know how to test it, or even if anything else is missing?

Not sure if want to spend as much as a set of coilovers will cost, but where can I buy shocks and springs online in europe(to avoid duty)?

I know I'm probably looking at about £1k in parts at least if I source them myself.

Anyone help another owner please.

It is getting to the point that it isn't just motorways that feel rough, it has started to "wobble" on roundabouts too.

You have good friends, their advice is 100% objective.

An 800 quid Celsior/LS400 will empty your wallet.

It's a 50 grand luxury car when new, so parts will NOT be cheap, even if you source them from the USA.

If you are having suspension problems, it's gonna be VERY expensive, as you're probably looking at a complete overhaul given the age/mileage of your car.

You might want to try www.clublexus.com as they have many more LS owners on that forum, with probably more sources of "cheap" parts.

Good luck!

I accept that it will be pricey. But I still have room to manouvre in that when I bought it, it had a fresh MOT from a reputable Merc/BMW independant garage, so while I'm now noticing the problems, it can't be too far gone yet. I'm just very sensitive to wear on cars.

Plus as a Celsior for £800 you would probably be looking at £1200-1800 for an LS (badge snobs).

I got really lucky break on the price. He was a soldier, who was supposed to be posted to Germany (living Liverpool) bought it at the last minute, to commute home from his stationed base when he got leave. Last minute his unit was posted instead to Warrington (about 32 miles commute with living at home so he bought a diesel for daily commutes instead of monthly leave) to turn a TA barracks into a base for regular for transport units.

He advertised it on eBay, as being in Liverpool, and a BIN of £800. The weekend before, I had seen a Celsior at a local garage and thought it was an amazing coincidence.

When I called, he explained he was on his way home from Glasgow and would be an hour, and the car was actually in Warrington at the TA Barracks. The barracks is actually 100yards from my house.

I asked him why it was priced so low and he said that he had got his wife to list it with an £800 reserve and she listed it with no reserve and an £800 BIN.

He accepted my giving him cash off the auction, to save the fees, as there hadn't been any bids. I expect had it ran to the end it would have ended much higher.

Mileage is 186k kilometers, it has never been converted.

It is a 91, uk registered in 98 on a J plate, and apparently was an embassy car until it was registered here.

It still reads in kilometers, but has a UK Lexus Pioneer headunit, and all the door glass is lexus toyota rather than toyota. So there might be some truth in the embassy story.

Another reason it was so cheap is that it has absolutley no history at all. Not even since uk registration, but 5 owners recorded since 1998. However the cambelt looks near new (the belt covers are missing) and apart from a little cam rattle from the rear of the passenger bank, it is all nice quiet and smooth. I'm going to get it serviced at a local garage, but get the cam belt done when it hits 200k Kms regardless.

Everyone who sees it expects a total loss shed, but when they see it, play with the massage seats and hear the smooth purr, they love it.

Suggest a closer looking at by yourself or friendly mechanic to find exactly what you do want.

Some bushes are available for the suspension although I have not seen them all listed anywhere.

Balljoints also need a looking at............might not be a disaster price wise......you need to know exactly what

is needed...

Hi,

If I remember correctly a few of us asked the shipping cost and it was $60.00 for the upper arms, someone did buy some on this forum but haven't heard anything since.

BTW have you checked the sway bar bushes as they give problems also?

Plan is, upper and lower arms for the front, and sway bar bushes, and whatever the back needs.

Does anyone know if there is a way to test the air suspension system without bags fitted?

I've realised that Arnotts airbags and a used controller are actually cheaper by a long way than coilovers.

I would love to be able to re-instate the air system and get rid of the very basic by lexus/toyota standard fixed height/rate shocks and springs.

I know to keep comfort, I can't make it handle like a go-cart but I can get the stability and smoothness back.

My biggest problem is, the mechanic I used to use had a fire accident at his garage, and disappeared because he wasn't insured.

So now I need to find a mechanic I can trust.

Think you will have to trawl the LOC USA forums for more info......if it was my car I would postpone the air suspension bit to the last, its' a mass of complication and the normal [not air] setup is acceptable.

Suggest get it right first, may need other items expensive replaced before you throw money at the air suspension .

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links