Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

The US cars seem to be able to take decent boost, without drastic modifications

ClubLexus GS300 MK1 section

If thats the case why do the people who do the is3 turbo kits say you need headgaskets et al for decent boost levels ?

To run a turbo setup you need to reduce the compression ratio to around 8.0 to 8.5,(thicker head gasket)this will allow boost to be increased to around 10 psi and depending on fueling,mapping,internal component strength etc up to say 14 psi,if you use forged internals such as pistons,crank,wild cams,con rods, then upto say 30psi.To fit a turbo conversion to a 300 you do not need to lower the compression,(thicker head gasket)but you will only achieve around 5psi safely,prob around 50bhp or so,(power is depended on good fuel/air mix and other matters too).

I could be wrong but have done a little research and the conclusion is that witH a thicker gasket and turbo running 12 psi thats about 310bhp,the GS300 is well capable of that.At this moment in time(£ vs $) fitting a turbo conversion rather than a Super Charger is way cheaper,(Kits around $1000)but if it was not down to cost the Super Charger would be the better option.

Am sure theres peeps on here that will correct me if wrong on the above but its just a genralisation reply,one thing i am not defo on is wether the Aristo internals are a like for like match of the GS internals,if the are then great,as then the GS will take loads more power stock than i stated.

Tony B)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links