Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Prop Shaft Vibration

Jack300

what makes you suggest that the prob shaft is vibrating?

what does it feel like?

reason i ask is i have not heard of this, my IS200 is on 130k and as far as i know original prop shaft and fittings...no probs, all i have is the smallest amount of clutch judder.

On really smooth roads there's a fine vibration coming up through the seat. It dosn't feel like wheels or balancing and it's characteristics dont change with speed or braking.

I had similar much much worse problems with my previous rear wheel drive car which turned out to be a rear gearbox rubber mount sagging (with age) causing the prop to run out of true. ...so I'm experienced in what an out of true prop feels like.

On the Lexus, it's very mild but definately there.

Any one with similar problems know of a fix - replace the rear gearbox mount for instance?

...thanks in advance.

cheers

jack

ive not heard of it before, but as you say, Your experienced just order the parts.

but id suggest it could be, the centre prop bearing, or the differential mounts, it could be...although again never heard of it, loose subframe mounts, or a bent propshaft, worn gearbox output bearing, worn engine mounts

as you say, the vibration doesnt change with speed or braking.....the prop changes speed, there would be a point where its harmonics would either increase or decrease the vibration.

id suggest taking a closer look at the engine mounts, exhaust hangars

if it was a gearbox mount, it would be quite eveident, especially in an auto

...many thanks for the advice - it's much appreciated.

I havent had a chance to get under the car yet - only owned it a few weeks.

Of interest, the trouble with the previous car / prop was tired exhaust hangers putting too much weight onto the rear gearbox mount, dragging the box down and causing the prop to be out of line. I eventually changed the hangers (after replacing the mount) and the vibes went away...

I'll report back on progress and hopefully a fix.

Cheers

jack

...is the mount know to sag with age? That was the problem with the previous car compounded by the exhaust hanging from it too.

Maybe my fix for the sport cross is to add a spacer between the support bracket and the mount - in effect raising the mount and sunsequently the gearbox a little. If I try this and it smooths out the prop vibration then I've either found a fix or at least I know what needs replacing.

Cheers

jack

the mount is fixed to the car solid, then the rubber bushes sit on this mount, and the gearbox sits on the rubber bushes, i doubt they will sag, this early, as there pretty solid rubber mounts.

however, as i said previously look at the diff mounts, or the engine mounts

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I am having the same trouble, I believe!

Vibration at various speeds and rpm.

I find it easy to make it happen, when I keep the car in 2nd gear and with the engine around 2100rpm.

This car has been driven around 90.000km

I am having worries that it could be something in the transmission, bearings or problems in the converter.

Did you find out what the problem was?

I am having the same trouble, I believe!

Vibration at various speeds and rpm.

I find it easy to make it happen, when I keep the car in 2nd gear and with the engine around 2100rpm.

This car has been driven around 90.000km

I am having worries that it could be something in the transmission, bearings or problems in the converter.

Sorry if you've already checked and eliminated this, but are you sure it's not a wheel balancing problem ? That can cause very bad vibrations (as I found when I first took ownership of my IS200). It's easy for the weights to come off and to introduce a problem when there was none before.

Sorry if you've already checked and eliminated this, but are you sure it's not a wheel balancing problem ? That can cause very bad vibrations (as I found when I first took ownership of my IS200). It's easy for the weights to come off and to introduce a problem when there was none before.

Think thats unlikely - 2100 rpm in 2nd - Not going to be doing anywhere near 55-60mph - which is where wheel balancing issues usually appear...

No, it is not wheel balancing problem!

I have already checked that 3 times already ;)

But it can´t be wheel balancing problem as this happens 10mph or 20 mph or whatever the speed is.

Engine mounts and transmission mounts have been checked out.

I find this strange.

No, it is not wheel balancing problem!

I have already checked that 3 times already ;)

But it can´t be wheel balancing problem as this happens 10mph or 20 mph or whatever the speed is.

Engine mounts and transmission mounts have been checked out.

I find this strange.

ok, thanks, just thought I'd check.

I'm sure that some of the expert knowledge possessed by the members here will help you to sort out your problem. I hope that you can get it resolved soon.

Mat suggested checking the diff mounts too, have you had a look at those ?

• 13 years later...

Hello Cam and welcome to the LOC.

With the problem being present when stationary I doubt transmission problems to be the cause.

An engine problem is a more likely cause like a misfire, what’s your service history like?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links