Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disaster

cho

you work out the boost you want by some calculation involving max engine rpm and max supercharger rpm that tells you the diameter pully you want.

I don't know the specifics but for the lysholm kit I'm doing I had to specify max rpm of car and max boost I wanted they then worked out the pully size to supply with the kit.

If what you are saying is correct Cho, then something is not right.

I can't believe that you have had a pully fitted and the company who fitted it cant say it was for .XX boost or .YY boost.

I'm also fairly (99%) confident that the data from the dyno session will tell you what boost and at what RPM max boost was achieved

A couple of problems with that dave,

Firstly the if the pulley for your Lysholm kit is using the same pully position as TTE then it comes from a different pully (possibly water pump?) to the crank and so you have to work out the max speed of that pully as it may not be identical to the crank.

Secondly with boost pressure. Unless you take a physically reading using a boost gauge the boost pressure is hard to get because you can't use the OBDII as its a false reading amended by the black box/piggy back ECU. I suppose you could connect to the piggy back ECU and that may give you a true boost reading? But if they loaded in the map off the car and didn't do any live mapping then they won't have this info, but i'd say thats their fault as it's a check to see if the works within percieved safe limits?

But yes I think they should know the exact boost, the size of pully they fit provides, as it should be constant as all engines spin to the same RPM, etc. With the standard intercooler and otherwise.

Stav

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you work out the boost you want by some calculation involving max engine rpm and max supercharger rpm that tells you the diameter pully you want.

I don't know the specifics but for the lysholm kit I'm doing I had to specify max rpm of car and max boost I wanted they then worked out the pully size to supply with the kit.

If what you are saying is correct Cho, then something is not right.

I can't believe that you have had a pully fitted and the company who fitted it cant say it was for .XX boost or .YY boost.

I'm also fairly (99%) confident that the data from the dyno session will tell you what boost and at what RPM max boost was achieved

A couple of problems with that dave,

Firstly the if the pulley for your Lysholm kit is using the same pully position as TTE then it comes from a different pully (possibly water pump?) to the crank and so you have to work out the max speed of that pully as it may not be identical to the crank.

Secondly with boost pressure. Unless you take a physically reading using a boost gauge the boost pressure is hard to get because you can't use the OBDII as its a false reading amended by the black box/piggy back ECU. I suppose you could connect to the piggy back ECU and that may give you a true boost reading? But if they loaded in the map off the car and didn't do any live mapping then they won't have this info, but i'd say thats their fault as it's a check to see if the works within percieved safe limits?

But yes I think they should know the exact boost, the size of pully they fit provides, as it should be constant as all engines spin to the same RPM, etc. With the standard intercooler and otherwise.

Stav

Not entirely sure on pulley posistion etc as I'm no expert all I know is the info they required to give me a kit that runs .4 bar I extrapolated that to this situation.

I'm still sure the state of the art dyno used will give boost levels :whistling:

Quite right Gord, I am trying my best to get this info from TDI but they are unsure as to whether they have it?!?

Well if they dont have it, then something wrong :o

If they are doing more boost on your car, by putting bigger pulley on, then how do they know its safe to run ????? with what they have put on your car. I would put another engine in, see what boost its running 1st then take it from there, if running more than safe level, hit them with the bill for the work you have had done, plus the work you are going to have to have done, for your car to run safe.

When i was putting the big pulley onto my car, i didn't want a pulley that was going to make more than 0.55 top, as the engine was still standard, its running just over 0.5 at the min.

Quite right Gord, I am trying my best to get this info from TDI but they are unsure as to whether they have it?!?

Ask Yemgi how he got hold of his, he has said something to do with the HKS FCON, Do you have the FCON fitted :question:

Yes I have the FCON fitted so hopefully the data should be there only thing is the car Battery has died so i'm worried this may have wiped the data from my ecu and FCON?

Ask Yemgi how he got hold of his, he has said something to do with the HKS FCON, Do you have the FCON fitted :question:

Yes I have the FCON fitted so hopefully the data should be there only thing is the car Battery has died so i'm worried this may have wiped the data from my ecu and FCON?

Cho can you tell me what the size of your pulley is :question:

If you look at your charger, it has pulley at the front, not this one, look where the belt is going, it should go down to another pulley, it will look new.

Can you tell me what size it is, eg the diameter, just to give you some indication the standard one is 130mm across.

If you look at your charger, it has pulley at the front, not this one, look where the belt is going, it should go down to another pulley, it will look new.

Can you tell me what size it is, eg the diameter, just to give you some indication the standard one is 130mm across.

Looks to be roughly 150mm

Intresting as mine is 160mm, what size was on Yemgi's car ?

Intresting as mine is 160mm, what size was on Yemgi's car ?

No light where the car is so will double check tomorrow

It just seems like they can't provide all the information to you regarding the work on your car (boost pressure, afr, etc). That in my mind, they should have access to as i would have thought they'd have check all that to ensure the conversion was safe?

Stav

Maybe companies that fit modifield parts (especially turbos, s/c, engine components that give extra boost/bhp etc) should also ask the owner to come back after a certain distance or certain time to double check for problems. And as mentioned before, a signature of the mechanic/s that carried out the work and whos it checked by would also be nice. Sorry to hear about your IS Cho, as i would be down the gutter (and after blood!) after paying out so much to get it done properly, only for that to happen. But reading through the posts, things are just not adding up. No info for boost, but yet they installed the pully, warning lights comming on after work is carried out ( shouldn't that have been corrected during dyno run), lack of bhp considering the amount of parts changed, etc etc. I think it's in TDIs interest to help you out in everyway they can, which im sure they will as they are a very respectable company.

It just seems like they can't provide all the information to you regarding the work on your car (boost pressure, afr, etc). That in my mind, they should have access to as i would have thought they'd have check all that to ensure the conversion was safe?

Stav

Well they said they would send me all the data next week so will see what happens. If they don't have fundamentals such as the A/F/R and boost pressure I'm sure it is only going to help me get things sorted quicker as it just shows a total disregard for the quality and safety of work being carried out.

Like said above Cho it just seems suss that a professional company does work that they dont know what the outcome of there conversions is going to be??

What i gather is that a small difference in pulley size can make a big difference to the boost and i would have thought that this would all have to be calculated and monitored carefully and if this has not been done and corners cut this could be a major factor in what has happened to your engine mate.

It would be in their own interest to store such info in the case of this ever happening dont you think? Im no mechanic but i dont think it really takes one in this circumstances. I think as soon as there is doubts as if the info is available from them there is something to hide.

I really hope you get all this sorted out ASAP as its not just the cost its all the hassle you will have and the fact you are without a car.

Like said above Cho it just seems suss that a professional company does work that they dont know what the outcome of there conversions is going to be??

What i gather is that a small difference in pulley size can make a big difference to the boost and i would have thought that this would all have to be calculated and monitored carefully and if this has not been done and corners cut this could be a major factor in what has happened to your engine mate.

It would be in their own interest to store such info in the case of this ever happening dont you think? Im no mechanic but i dont think it really takes one in this circumstances. I think as soon as there is doubts as if the info is available from them there is something to hide.

I really hope you get all this sorted out ASAP as its not just the cost its all the hassle you will have and the fact you are without a car.

Mate that's exactly how I feel, I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens, the en gine should be getting stripped down next week and will get the engineer in then and should hopefully have all the data from TDI.

Sorry to hear this mate. I know exactly how you feel. At least your only on your first rebuild :winky:

Don't bother with an independant report. As Neil has said its really a waste of money as you will never find exactly or prove why the con-rod snapped. We all know they are very weak and can even snap under hardly any power.

Also my Battery has died plenty of times on the car and even replaced it. In fact its probably dead again now as I've not driven it for about a month. The map and data will still remain on there.

There were a few more things I was going to say but after reading 8 pages I've forgotten. :blush:

Hope you get it sorted mate

Data should be available straight away. If it was me I'd wonder why the data's taking so long to materialise. The longer it takes, the more I'd be thinking that it's doctored data from a different car, but that's just my own opinion, and would refer to any major work on any car at any garage, anywhere. Wouldn't matter whether it's a supercharger or an LPG conversion, it's still the same.

*climbs back up on fence*

Data should be available straight away. If it was me I'd wonder why the data's taking so long to materialise. The longer it takes, the more I'd be thinking that it's doctored data from a different car, but that's just me.

*climbs back up on fence*

totally agree with you fella.

@ Cho, tell em you want it yesterday and if they don't have it at their immediate disposal, then it tstrengthens your case IMO.

Also fella, my mechanic mate doesn't know of anywhere local do get that report done i'm afraid. sorry fella, i tried for ya.

No probs mate, found a guy who is based in Rugby so not too far from me. He gave me some really good advice and I am jappy to get the engineers report done.

ahh, good on ya mate. all the best with it anyway. IMHO, i would say boost levels were unsafe, but thats an opinion and nothing more. hopefully you'll get to the bottom of this with little/no cost to yourself and get it all sorted out matey.

all the best

rob

Sorry to hear this mate. I know exactly how you feel. At least your only on your first rebuild :winky:

Don't bother with an independant report. As Neil has said its really a waste of money as you will never find exactly or prove why the con-rod snapped. We all know they are very weak and can even snap under hardly any power.

Also my battery has died plenty of times on the car and even replaced it. In fact its probably dead again now as I've not driven it for about a month. The map and data will still remain on there.

There were a few more things I was going to say but after reading 8 pages I've forgotten. :blush:

Hope you get it sorted mate

Please remember Adie, as you are, sort of in the same boat :duh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links