Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can you guys please let me know if you have to top up engine oil in between services a.s.a.p Cheer Swager

2 litres since last March, 8500 miles travelled, gets wose as I get closer to servicing

Hi Jambo,

are you not concerned by the amount of oil you are using in a modern (green) engine, also totally agree with your comments on the cost of ownership maybe most of the 250/220 on the road are company cars so the cots are hidden.

cheers swager

I checked the oil yesterday, and since November it hasn't taken a drop. It really is wierd. It is the most inconsistent car I have ever owned.

Our '56 plate Nissan on the other hand only ever gets driven in town, has covered 10,000 miles and not taken a drop of oil. In fact it still looked clear up until the point it went for it's first service (which incidentally cost more than the Lexus!)!

My biggest worry at the moment is the rattling, which has taken a turn for the worst. Both the centre console and the drivers side of the Dash are terrible when the car is cold, and even when fully warm, it is between 75-95% of where it should be for a so called Luxury car.

If only I could afford to get rid of this car, I would now. I am that racked off. The Dash also seems to have "dropped" by another 1-2mm. I've held off getting it booked in as I have been so busy with work, and it's due it's service soon. This will be visit #6 for rattles.

sorry thought the TSIB was for 350 and you are corect there is one for the 250,have not checked vin number yet but mine is a 2005 although its a dec reg it could fall into this area .you are spot on with the amount of dust generated by the front brakes - why do you think this Lexus TSIBs are not actioned in the UK, because as soon as I mention the brake issue I know Bristol will say its only for the USA.

I've already got that response from Bristol on the brake dust TSIB...it's not their fault, it's Lexus GB. There aren't enough of us for them to pay attention, unlike the USA. I've attached a copy for you anyway

TSIB.pdf

Sorry for not replying but did forward copy to Lexus Bristol of the US fix but I was told that the engines in the good old U S of A were of a different spec and the rattle was on the IS 350 some two months ago.
The IS 350 "Engine Rattle" is specific to that engine,no issues on the 250 whatsoever to my knowledge.

Neither of you read the TSIB then as it's for the IS250....

Quote : 2006 – 2007 model year IS 250 vehicles equipped with the 4GR-FSE engine and produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below. etc:

It then gives VIN numbers for both the TMK and Tahara IS250 production facilities in Japan...where ALL IS 250's are made. i.e. not just those destined for the US. It's a similar issue I had with the same service manager when I gave him a copy of the TSIB for the brake pads producing excessive dust. In the US the 250 was added to the TSIB which originally only applied to the IS350 so customers complaining of excessive dust could have ceramic pads fitted under warranty (along with new discs if necessary). The Bristol Service Manager said he would look into it...last I heard of it, but my pads are still producing excessive dust.

...and what's happened to the TSIB/recall on the fuel lines???

sorry thought the TSIB was for 350 and you are corect there is one for the 250,have not checked vin number yet but mine is a 2005 although its a dec reg it could fall into this area .you are spot on with the amount of dust generated by the front brakes - why do you think this Lexus TSIBs are not actioned in the UK, because as soon as I mention the brake issue I know Bristol will say its only for the USA.Thanks for info will challange Bristol service on both counts today hen I collect the car , I will also enquire the TSIB regarding the fuel line .I have contacted Lexus uk but have had no responce to date .

cheers

swager

what recall on the fuel line? urs produces too much brake dust too??

just a ?..if all the models are made from the same 2 plants surely they will use the same parts like brake pads n discs for all the cars wont they? so surely they should action to that tsib even tho its not meant for here??

tango..so they didnt change ur pads?

what recall on the fuel line? urs produces too much brake dust too??

just a ?..if all the models are made from the same 2 plants surely they will use the same parts like brake pads n discs for all the cars wont they? so surely they should action to that tsib even tho its not meant for here??

tango..so they didnt change ur pads?

They did not. Just said they were not issued with the TSIB, and it was probably different part numbers for the pads anyway. As you say, why would Lexus manufacture different pads for the same car. In the States there have been hundreds of change-outs under warranty due to customers complaining. I've brought back a set of 350 discs from the States, and made sure I've got the alternative OEM ceramic pads, pity I had to pay for them.

I believe the fuel line recall is still pending with VOSA as I cannot bring up any recall for the IS250 in 2007 on their site. Apparently it's a problem in the cold bending of the fuel lines during manufacture that has caused the lines to suffer from age related cracking in some instances (I know my car falls within the manufacturing period :crying: ).

have u noticed much diff. with the ceramic brakes?

when was urs manufatured?

I pre-ordered mine well before the release date...got it December 23rd 2005, so it's definitely an early 2005 manufacture....perhaps that's a good thing 'cos I certainly haven't suffered from rattles etc.

Can't give you any info on the ceramic pads as haven't fitted the IS350 BBK yet...will do a pictorial with Tony at WIM when he pulls his finger out and moves into his new premises :lol: (mid-February hopefully). Managed to get some stainless steel braided brake lines for front and rear so will do those at the same time.

Hi All,

Not the best way to start the new year – IS 250 auto sel mm in for 20 k service – not good news

1 new front pads and discs ( its the wife’s car and she is not an aggressive driver)

2 new front tyres uneven wear

3 service are now trying semi synthetic oil in place of fully synthetic to try to stop this start up rattle I have and the fact that I have put 3 ltrs of oil in over 9.5k

lexus techs say that the brakes discs have a lip on and the pads are 80% worn .In a previous post it was mentioned the Lexus Sheffield stated that discs were under warranty ?????/

could end up with a bill of £1000 for a 20k service .Hmmmmmmmm looks like its time to look at another brand as this is the second chance I have given Lexus .Have any of you guys used non franchised Lexus service outlets when still under manufactured warranty

cheers swager

Gentlemen your attention please

Got the car back yesterday with a total bill of some £1200 Inc vat, this includes for 20k service

1 2 new front tyres uneven wear

2 1 new rear

3 tracking

4 20k service using semi syn oil

5 2 new front disc

6 new front pads

7 air con system service

Warranty work dash out /drives door panel out cure rattles – adjust driver’s wiper blade.

Hmmmmmmmm happy new year to me from Lexus Bristol

In a nutshell front tyre my fault – front disc my wife’s style of driving or previous owner had worn a lot out of the discs after just 5k .oil usage is within Lexus tolerance 600 miles per ltr. Have checked the telemetry on the BMW 320 d sport auto and it states I have some 31k before I need to change the pads let alone the discs and not a drop of oil burn since new with some 5 k covered. Engine rattle on start up - use semi syn oil as its still under Lexus recommendations as the viscosity is thicker thus it will stay put in the areas it is not blah blah blah. On a 32k motor car with 19.5 k on the clock.

Had enough of this crap so will make written representation to dealer principle Bristol and Lexus customer services but deep down I know I will get no where other then giving me some satisfaction in having a good laugh at their replies . After spending some 60k with Lexus Bristol I wrongly though I would get more help from them.

So to conclude, good bye gentlemen it a great forum but in my opinion far to many issues with quality I will be trading in very soon and sorry to say after 4 months of ownership it looks like a BMW.

Cheers guys and once again thanks for all your support and comments

does anyone actually have a list of what the warranty covers. their website isnt very specific..http://www.lexus.co.uk/lexus_care/warranties/new_lexus/index.asp compared to their US one.

in the "does not cover" section it says "....and replacement of worn wiper blades, brake pads/lining and clutch linings". so theres no mention that it doesnt cover the brake discs? also at the top "Any defect that is attributable to a manufacturing or assembly defect under normal use is covered by the warranty."...which u could argue too??

Sorry, but there is absolutely NO WAY that I'd let anyone, Lexus or *** Himself, chuck in semi-synth. oil into my Lexus engine. Approved or not its a pure nonsense. These cars are calibrated for true synthetic oil and with a car engine thats been run in to that effect - to change now would be very risky IMHO. My car takes fully synth, thats what you stick in. Are they actually saying you can leave semi-synth. oil in the engine for the same amount of time as the fully synth.? If so, then why do they advocate the use of fully synth. oil in the first place?

Sounds total fob-off to me. But I can't say I blame you in how you feel. Thats how I'd feel if I got stiffed for £1200 smackers!

Sorry, but there is absolutely NO WAY that I'd let anyone, Lexus or *** Himself, chuck in semi-synth. oil into my Lexus engine. Approved or not its a pure nonsense. These cars are calibrated for true synthetic oil and with a car engine thats been run in to that effect - to change now would be very risky IMHO. My car takes fully synth, thats what you stick in. Are they actually saying you can leave semi-synth. oil in the engine for the same amount of time as the fully synth.? If so, then why do they advocate the use of fully synth. oil in the first place?

Sounds total fob-off to me. But I can't say I blame you in how you feel. Thats how I'd feel if I got stiffed for £1200 smackers!

These cars aren't calibrated for synthetic oil - I don't know where you got that from. Official Lexus literature says they are designed to use mineral oil - anyway, synthetic or mineral, it's the viscosity that is important, not anything else.

This was taken from a Lexus press release when the new IS came out:

http://www.testdriven.co.uk/news.cfm/new-l...st-of-ownership

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

just to keep you up to date with my on going fight with Lexus customer care - its still rolling on,it took nearly 10 days to respond and just as I feared :

front brake and discs replaced after 19k - it all down to my wifes driving style (unlike their design and marketing stating cost of ownership down - disc pads replaced around 30k let alone the discs )

3 ltrs used in 8.5 k miles - lexus state you can use 1 ltr per in every 1k ( very green)

start up rattle - no reports in the uk or advise from Lexus Europe/Japan on a fix for uk models (unlike USA)

brake pad dust - no reports of problems in the uk .(unlike USA)

good luck if you get any of these issues with your limos

time to move on and as lexus have a habbit of upgrading their models after 3 years (re RX 300/RX350) and used prices drop like a stone .

cheers

swager

Nice...but swager - were your discs replaced free under warranty?

My diesel has taken the same amount of oil too over a similar mileage...it's 20k is due next month, and it will have done 17k (8.5k since the last service).

Now bearing in mind that I ran a Toyota Corolla for 64000 miles from new on the SAME brakes (with 33%ish still left) discs and shoes etc, it'll be interesting. Even the front brake pads on my Ser2 Audi A4 were only 30% worn at 44200 miles (incidentally it's second service - £280odd) - so my driving style historically has been very easy on the brakes...

The front discs are lipped already on the Lexus...so this could be the crunch for me too...

My diesel has taken the same amount of oil too over a similar mileage...it's 20k is due next month, and it will have done 17k (8.5k since the last service).

Now bearing in mind that I ran a Toyota Corolla for 64000 miles from new on the SAME brakes (with 33%ish still left) discs and shoes etc, it'll be interesting. Even the front brake pads on my Ser2 Audi A4 were only 30% worn at 44200 miles (incidentally it's second service - £280odd) - so my driving style historically has been very easy on the brakes...

The front discs are lipped already on the Lexus...so this could be the crunch for me too...

I wouldn't worry too much about a slight lip on the edge of your discs - if you run your finger around most cars' discs you will find the same. I sold my first IS250 Auto with 33k on the clock, it had new pads at 20k but the discs were still fine - and autos are traditionally harder on pads than manuals. I'd be extremely surprised if your needed new discs before 40k at least.

There is a TSB regarding brake dust in the States. Some owners were complaining about excessive brake dust (although I must admit I've found my Lexus to be much the same as every other new car I've had recently in this respect), so Lexus agreed to fit harder pads to the vehicles of those who complained. Of course harder pads means reduced braking performance and increased wear on discs but you can't have it all ways.

People complaining about brakes is a subject that has frequently come up in conversation with my missus who works for Audi Aftersales. She has people coming in complaining of excessive dust, squeaking, brake disc replacement costs etc. Basically, it comes down to new formulations of brake pad designed to cut out the use of asbestos in their manufacture. The extra dust and wear is a cost we have to pay for the health of her mechanics - it's also means that brake discs are now considered to be a consumable wear item rather than something you largely ignored until much higher mileages (the extra weight of modern vehicles and the higher amounts of braking energy to be dissapated probably adds to this problem as well - we all want to be able to brake a 2 tonne car from 80mph to 0 in about 40 feet!).

Hi Jambo,

no had to pay for the new discs and pads and no offer of 3 ltrs of top up oil !!!!! for the next 9k .

cheers

swager

I wouldn't worry too much about a slight lip on the edge of your discs - if you run your finger around most cars' discs you will find the same. I sold my first IS250 Auto with 33k on the clock, it had new pads at 20k but the discs were still fine - and autos are traditionally harder on pads than manuals. I'd be extremely surprised if your needed new discs before 40k at least.

There is a TSB regarding brake dust in the States. Some owners were complaining about excessive brake dust (although I must admit I've found my Lexus to be much the same as every other new car I've had recently in this respect), so Lexus agreed to fit harder pads to the vehicles of those who complained. Of course harder pads means reduced braking performance and increased wear on discs but you can't have it all ways.

People complaining about brakes is a subject that has frequently come up in conversation with my missus who works for Audi Aftersales. She has people coming in complaining of excessive dust, squeaking, brake disc replacement costs etc. Basically, it comes down to new formulations of brake pad designed to cut out the use of asbestos in their manufacture. The extra dust and wear is a cost we have to pay for the health of her mechanics - it's also means that brake discs are now considered to be a consumable wear item rather than something you largely ignored until much higher mileages (the extra weight of modern vehicles and the higher amounts of braking energy to be dissapated probably adds to this problem as well - we all want to be able to brake a 2 tonne car from 80mph to 0 in about 40 feet!).

your comment starting that you would be suprised that I had to have them replaced is spot on as the wife drives it like a saint ,also you comments regarding pad life on mordern cars - well my 320d M sport auto is saying on the onboard info that the pads need changing in 31k and i dont drive it like a saint and it stops on a sixpence perhaps lexus need some help in the braking department with their choice of materials .

cheers

swager

The front discs are lipped already on the Lexus...so this could be the crunch for me too

I've always had the impression that the IS250 brakes are a bit marginal for the full range of braking requirements. It's a pretty heavy car and can get up to some serious speed (even if it's slow getting there compared to 'proper' sports saloons).

Think the pads are a little too soft but have to be to compensate for the lack of surface area and relatively small disc diameter, so the brakes are overly grippy at lower speeds and produce a lot of dust and wear to the disk as a consequence of the high friction/soft pads.

Fitting the bigger discs, four pot calipers and ceramic pads may convince me I'm right, but then again :whistling:

Hi Jambo,

no had to pay for the new discs and pads and no offer of 3 ltrs of top up oil !!!!! for the next 9k .

cheers

swager

My car went in for it's 60k service on Friday. Needed new pads all round (£250) and disks all round but they were placed under warrenty due to corrosion. 4 new wheels as well!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links