Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Shaking - Help!

HK1471

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been through all this (IS200 sport) Car had been stood for a while, calipers were sticking, garage reckoned on new calipers etc. Bu**er that, remove,strip, clean pistons etc re(rubber)grease pins and no longer sticking,BUT......vibrated like a wobbly thing under braking, shook the steering AND gear stick, but not particulaly prevelant at the pedal. I thought probs with ball joints etc but found no slack and discs seemed ok, no washout or warping that i could detect. Finally, everything off again and presto, offside disc, inside face is pitted. New discs and pads (eBay, £55 deliverd!!!!!!! - planet car parts) and all is much happiness. woohoo!

Just been through all this (IS200 sport) Car had been stood for a while, calipers were sticking, garage reckoned on new calipers etc. Bu**er that, remove,strip, clean pistons etc re(rubber)grease pins and no longer sticking,BUT......vibrated like a wobbly thing under braking, shook the steering AND gear stick, but not particulaly prevelant at the pedal. I thought probs with ball joints etc but found no slack and discs seemed ok, no washout or warping that i could detect. Finally, everything off again and presto, offside disc, inside face is pitted. New discs and pads (EBAY, £55 deliverd!!!!!!! - planet car parts) and all is much happiness. woohoo!

Have you still got the item number on eBay?

Blimey, glad u made me look on eBay, just found out the missus has bought a sodding shower unit on my account!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyhow, item no is 300204573728, Can't believe the price and the guy has a really good rating. I presume they are hewn from a solid block of crapite and will never last as long as quality items, but hey, at that price!!!!!

Blimey, glad u made me look on ebay, just found out the missus has bought a sodding shower unit on my account!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyhow, item no is 300204573728, Can't believe the price and the guy has a really good rating. I presume they are hewn from a solid block of crapite and will never last as long as quality items, but hey, at that price!!!!!

:D :D :D

I was looking to get a set of Mintex Discs and pads for the rear... Any squealing noises from them?

• 3 weeks later...

Yep im getting same problem, shaking between 50-60. Felt the calipers after a 30 mile run and one was red hot while the other is cold...looks like i'm going to need a new caliper to me. why does noone on eBay sell Lexus alternative calipers lol. Probably gonna cost me about £400+ in parts and labour.

Why not try changing the seals? you can get a seal kit for about £40 i think.

Stav

Mm...sounds like a good alternative, hope my disc etc isn't warped...although i'm already looking at grooved disc from prolex.

Is there different types of seals? Recommended ones etc, good thing i got this week off so they can work on the car, bad thing is i have to drive 20 miles to the nearest Toyota garage, my brakes are going to melt! My poor car this is the second brake caliper to go. Wonder if it would be wiser to use different brake pads..like mintex ones.

Mm...sounds like a good alternative, hope my disc etc isn't warped...although i'm already looking at grooved disc from prolex.

Is there different types of seals? Recommended ones etc, good thing i got this week off so they can work on the car, bad thing is i have to drive 20 miles to the nearest Toyota garage, my brakes are going to melt! My poor car this is the second brake caliper to go. Wonder if it would be wiser to use different brake pads..like mintex ones.

Dont know if there's different types mate, but you can get them from the dealerships.

Have a search there's a few threads on the seal kits.

Stav

Cheers for the part numbers TonyGoose, but i asked the garage and they said that they don't use the kits anymore as the fault usually comes back. And i've asked its going to be around £500. Also does anyone know if Lexus Canterbury have members discount?

May be worth giving these people a call clicky. They don't list Lexus on their site but I got a pair of brand new rear callipers for my GS300 for £49 for the two. I doubt there will be a bargain quite that good for fronts but they may well have seal kits etc to sort out your problems.

I've got the same problem and have had it for a little while. Although saometimes there is no vibration and the calipers do not get hot!! I may have to reseal the calipers as well and see if it helps.

Although i would need help with this, any offers :whistling:

Im in a bit of pickle....my n/s/f calipers are seized, but lexus garage is 30 miles away and they charge around £600 to replace. I don't want to drive that far incase it will cause more damage. Kwit fit is only down the road and they do it for roughly the same all in (not including pads). And also i will need car by end of the week, luckly (if you can call it that), i've got this week off work, so no need to use car. I've phoned RAC and they will only do a 10 mile trip, and this is classed as a private recovery (£150) I can't send them to get them reconditioned as it will take longer than a week to do and both garage will not fit them as it's not a part they ordered. To me this seems like the glass on ur door mirror is broken, u will need to change the whole door mirror, including the shell and motor?!!?....help!

p.s. all those with '01 lexus...beware, both my front calipers have gone now, and as mentioned above, looks like a common fault...expensive too.

Try a different Garage or Chris.S for the seal kit and get it sent special delivery. Your local place may just be trying it on by saying they dont do the seal kit?

I had one seal on mine but i got a cheap one off eBay and they were fine before i upgraded them.

Stav

Right, (sorry for hijacking thread, but it's kind of related..lol), decided to get the work done down the road (kwit fit, as they can get the part in for Wednesday), decided to try some mintex pads as everyone seems to favour them. Also going to change the disc, as it is just at the minium safe requirement (something like 29.8mm thinkness as it is), plus i think the shaking is the disc being warped, eitherway they need to be changed, decided to go for RS-10 discs. Anyone fitted these before? Also hope they don't have that build up of rust after a few minutes of water on them like the oem ones suffer from.

• 2 weeks later...

i no long bought my 2nd is 200, coming home first night i bought it theres like a wheelbearing noise coming from front drivers side when driving around town i replaced bearing still as bad as ever, next step is get tyres checked incase theyre misshaped, i get wobbling bout 50-60mph its making me really dislike driving the car

GAZ, Post is going forever lol...it's not tracking as WIM has already checked, wheel bearing u have changed (u can't mistaken a worn bearing noise). Wheels balanced? is one caliper hot to touch after 2+ miles run (if it is its a seized caliper, the gear stick also shakes when disc is warped)? im sure everything that it can be has been mentioned, very unlikely its the tires to be honest, but as a last resort it worth checking out, but i would have thought the person balancing the wheel would have work that one out, just by looking at the wheel when its rotating on the balancing machine. Really can't think it can be anything else as yet...but do let us know as im puzzled as what else it can be, well without seeing the car. Yes i know what u mean when mine did that it just makes u wanna stop driving as it shakes the steering like mad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys..

well i can see the original thread is still going.. well i figured out that my problem was the breaks. failed MOT on break binding. anyway had the breaks changed and passed the MOT and the car was fine for about month and a half 2 months and just recently it has started doing the same problem... shakes really bad at about 50 - 60 mph.

I have read a a few other posts about this and seems like the calipers need changing.

just wandering how much they normally are and whats the best place to get them from?

Car: Is 200 sport Y plate

Thanks

Hits

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys,

got a little problem with my car been happening the last month or so. when i am driving around 50-60 my car shakes really badly. the steering shakes really bad and so does the car. if i go above 60 it is fine and there is no problem same if i am going below 45-50

Iv had it set by tony at WIM and also had it rechecked after this started happening but the set up was fine and nothing had changed. Iv had all the wheels re balanced. and the problem still happens.

Some people iv spoke to have said that it could be becuase my discs have bent/warped? or maybe the bushes?

I know that i need to change my front discs and pads could this be the reason?

dunno if this has happened to anyone before? any help would be good

Thanks

Hits

Have you tried getting the discs skimmed?

It sounds like you have the classic symptons of pedal pulsation. If so, then the brake disc has either been worn away through friction with the pad or there is some pad material left on the disc (esp with automatics when the brake is always on when you stop and your discs are hot). The end result is instead of having a flat disc, you have one with DTV (disc thickness variation) with peaks and troughs instead of a flat surface (imagine a mountain range). When you apply the brakes pedal the pad is bouncing from peak to peak instead of having constant contact with the disc. This causes your brake pedal to jump.

Pedal pulsation is very noticable and usually only occurs at certain speeds (in your case 45-50mph) which is why I think that could be the problem. Visit www.skimmydiscs.co.uk to find your nearest lathe. There are some out there but make sure they have a black one called a PFM 9 - it compensates automatically for lateral run-out which be the cause of the problem and skims discs in 10 minutes. Make sure you know the manufacturer minimum thickness for your discs though as it's illegal to skim below this.

Whilst on brake skimming, think about getting your discs done when you have new pads fitted too. It costs a bit extra but at least you have 100% braking efficiency straight away instead of having bad brakes until they bed in 500 miles later.

It could be the wheel balance as well though - I have little faith in wheel balancing in shops mainly due to the people which carry out. Many shops i've been to can't balance a wheel to zero and are quite happy to put over 100 grams on which is diabolical. Do you know how much weight they put on your wheels?

Take your motor back to your wheel balancing man and ask him to put it back on the wheel balancer and see if it comes up zero - it won't !!!! If they "fix" the problem and get the zero read out, take the wheel off, rotate it 90 degrees and do it again - it won't come up zero twice. If it does then pay the man and take a business card because good wheel balancers are rare in the country.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted soon

Yep this has been happening to mine for nearly a year or so now :S fed up of it will tot up the fixes soon but I'll prob just try an get rid of the car as it will cost more to fix then its worth :(

although mine is 9 years old and 107k miles so it's probably due some new parts still need the 100k service doing eek mega pennys to come.... :crybaby:

I've not long owned a lex but with my previous cars, what you are describing is either shot tie rod bushes - holds the front wheels pointing forwards - at speed the wheels wobble and do so when breaking. Or, prop shaft centre bearing rubber surround perished - prop rotates out of true between certain speeds normally 45 upwards.

Good luck

jack

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links