Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Feel Stupid

Back in 2003, my headunit had the ERR3 problem and the dealers in France did not want to change it under warranty so I bought a Pioneer headunit from eBay at a very good price. At the same time, I had lots of mods done on the car and one of them was having the roof layed with carbon fiber so the aerial was removed when all this happened. As a result when I installed the Pionner headunit, the tuner was unable to pickup any radio signal.

After a few time, the carbon stuff did not turn out quite well so I removed it and had the roof resprayed but with the aerial hole filled ind. I decided to reconnect the aerial but inside the car, along the rear window, behind the side panel. The radio still did not work unfortunately.

now, a bit more than 4 years later, the Pionner mechanism for the front panel broke down so I decided to go for a new headunit. I had to rewire everything as the previous headunit had no ISO connector so I wired it directly on the standard loom but the new one has ISO connectors so I wired a universal ISO adaptor to the loom after removing everything from the previous headunit. While I was doing it, I realised that there is a antenna wire on the standard loom as there is on the ISO connector. I did not connect this wire on the previous headunit.

Guess what, the radio is now working again! What a knob ... I drove the car for more than 4 years without being able to use the radio just because I did not wire the head unit properly ... I really feel stupid now. Luckily enough I have loads of CDs and the headunit was MP3 capable.

It was not the aerial wire as such, it is the "power antenna" wire which activates the integrated amplifier in the aerial base when the radio is turned on, it is a standard 1mm2 wire

The usual aerial wire is big enough to not forget it :)

Yeah yeah ..... you're trying to make your self not look worse! :)

indeed :P :lol:

but take credit from the fact you owned probably the fastest French IS200 without a Radio :D

That's only because I have no aerial, it does not disturb the airflow on the roof :hehe: :duh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links