Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Question For Those With 100k+ Is200/300's

kam05

My IS200 hit the 100k mark last night and I will be servicing the car soon.

My question is for those who run IS200/300's which have done 100k+ miles (high miles), what items are likely to fail when an IS200/300 reaches this mileage? I am expected to replace failing suspension items at once the car has done 100k+? Up until now I have only replaced service items on my car, oil, filters, brakes, tyres and recently the Battery. I have also replaced the balljoints two years ago. Mechincally, the car is sound and it has been serviced every 10k, rather than every 12 months, I normally clock up 10k in about 8/9 months.

The car is 7 years old, and as stated, it is mechincally sound, although the bodywork reflects the age of the car, a couple of parking dents (caused in supermarket carparks, when someone opens a car door onto your bodywork and leaves a bullet type dent), which I hope to sort out later on in the year. Also, the bodywork is slightly let down, as the front bumper and bonnet are covered in stonechips, which reflect the age/mileage of the car. Would it be wise to have the front bumper and bonnet resprayed? I'm in two minds, part of me wants to have these items resprayed because they let the car down slightly (but with a good wash and wax, these stonechips are hardly visable), I could leave the front bumper and bonnet with the original paint (and with the stonechips), as this shows the true mileage and age of the car.

My intention is to keep the car until its dead or it becomes uneconomically to run, ie: the repairs cost more than the car is worth.

Any tips/advise is most welcome.

Mines also only just clocked over 100k, and (touch wood) I dont forsee any major wear related problems. My only fear is random failures, specifcally that of the gearbox which ive heard is a weak spot. Things like shocks, brakes, bushes are always gonna be 'consumable' items that will require replacement in due course, but on other cars ive had with similar or even more miles ive not noticed any specific trend. Alot depends on how the car has been treated. A car thats done 100k of mainly motorway miles will have had less strain put on it components than a car thats been in and out of town, over speed bumps and dodgy potholed back lanes, where things like bushes and shocks may have been strained.

gearbox which ive heard is a weak spot

I thought the IS200 manual gearbox was solid, I know it can be clunky changing from 1st to 2nd. I have never heard of a failed gearbox on the IS200 (not saying it can't happen). My car has done about 75% motorway miles and the rest has been local stop/start driving.

Here's to the next 100k and hopefully trouble-free motoring.

i think you have covered most bits mate, mines on about 116k now and other than the consumable stuff like you mention, i cant see there being any major probs as long as you keep it well serviced.

i too have the pain chips on the bonnett and bumber, but i think with what the car is worth now, i cant jusify forking out all that cash to get a respray.

the only thing i can think of is the clutch, which i fear is on its way out on mine, whilst it isnt really slipping, the biting point is quite high.

domake sure you get the cambelt done assuming you have not already.

mine's done 140k and hasnt ever needed anything major. I changed the drivers side ball joint when i got it, and needed to replace the caliper pin's last year when i had the pads changed.

A couple of people I know have 'slightly' leaking shocks, but from a motor factors you're looking at about £70 plus VAT for the KYB (unbranded Lexus) ones.

I bought a new front bumber off eBay for £25 plus £20 postage, but thats because the corners had been heavily scuffed by the previous owner.

well mine has 100k on it, and aside from the usual servicing, mine is suffering a little.

Nothing major, the car is built like a tank, but im suffering from the leaking shocks which results in a clunking noise, just on the passenger side mind.

I think its a result of the poor roads that i drive on, the driver side is on flat tarmac, and the passenger side is riding on pot hole after bump after pot hole, so its all built up over time.

I'm also suffering from a squeak appearing at 55mph+ an odd one but it seems to cause no problems, and finally on full lock i get the power steering belt squeal.

So there are things to look out for when it starts to creep into the high mileage, but its never something that needs major worries.

No problems yet as mine has been serviced well and has only ever done motorway miles. I have replaced the usual maintenance parts e.g. brakes, tyres, Battery etc. I have stone chips too and try not to use an excessively high pressured jet wash as paint flakes behind the mirrors. Worried about clutch, gearbox but no sign of problems yet.

Is it advisable to get a warranty from the many advertised warranties available?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links